My chances and suggestions PLEASE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosbiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine for any DO program, and MD is a no-go. Your GPAs are well below avg, and the MCAT is the bare minimum, and but below avg.

I have taken my MCAT last year and got a score of 30Q
My cumulative GPA is 3.3 and I shall be graduating this year with a bachelors degree in Biology and minor in Chemistry and Medical Anthropology.
My BPCM GPA is 3.2.

I have a lot of research experience in the last 4 years and have been published twice. I volunteer at the hospital and have shadowed doctors.

I know my GPA and MCAT score is low therefore perhaps I should not even try applying to any medical schools this year. I am planning on retaking my MCAT this year once again.

What I would like advise is that what should I do during this one year? Should I enroll for a masters program, or continue doing research which I am getting a good opportunity? I would like to apply to med schools next year in 2014. What would look good on my application? Also, since i would have graduated from college what recommendation letters would be good besides my research mentor? Would my undergrad instructors still be good to write the rec letters or would they? I am totally new to this process and am a first generation college student from my family. I would sincerely be grateful for any advise. I am a US citizen. Thanks

I don't think your MCAT is the problem. You have an good chance at MD if you bump up both GPa's to a 3.5. Not sure how well stacked up your application is either in terms of extracurriculars. showing some leadership and doing volunteer work is essential