My chances are probably slim....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kfray

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.5 sGPA/3.76 cGPA
- graduated last year but took a year off to work full-time (in non healthcare related field) to pay off student loans
- Theatre Arts Major (....I know....)
- not too stellar ecs:
around 100+ volunteer hours
~20 shadowing hours
involvement in student science organizations
went to visit orphanage in Vietnam last December

I haven't started the app yet or compiled my LORs yet and I take the MCATS in August...

Think it's too late to apply this year for the Fall 2015 start?
I'm somewhat depressed and feel like my app won't be strong enough compared with others.
I also am a resident in California but know that my acceptance to any Cali school is practically none. :(

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Take this next year to beef up your app, do research, shadow more, volunteer more. GPA is fine for MD, you would want to aim for around a 32+ MCAT to be competitive with that GPA i'd say. Definitely in the ballpark for some higher tier DO schools with that GPA. Don't rush an application, wait a year, make your app very appealing and you will be in a good position to apply next summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the theater arts thing is cool. It may actually quite beneficial as doctors must maintain composure -- much like an actor.

I agree with everyone above. Taking the MCAT in August means your scores won't be out until September, and many schools won't look at your app until it is complete with your score(s). Take it from me, applying later in the cycle can put you at a serious disadvantage, and if your score isn't stellar, things can get pretty rough. If I were in your shoes, I would apply next cycle and beef up the clinical/research hours in the meantime. Medical schools really want to be sure that you know what you are getting into.