Mar 31, 2010
Malibu
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been reading everything on this forum and there's a lot of good advice. Wondering if anyone can help me with mine?

Here goes....

I currently attend a California State University. I have a projected AMCAS 3.688 BCPM and a 3.6 cumulative. My university GPA, however, is 3.90 overall and 3.88 Biology. I have two poor performances in two CC classes before my freshman year. But I re-took those and got "A' in both. I rocked my MCAT though and scored 41R.

Extra Curricular-wise, I have a 18 months of hospital base volunteering with 200+ hours logged. I am also currently waiting to volunteer for a free clinic. At the hospital, I get an incredible amount of patient contact, even though I am not allowed to actually view the procedure. I do get to talk to them about the procedure and help clarify anything and to calm them if possible.

I have one year of research under my belt in an ecology lab (unusual right?) I have a paper up for publishing soon in which I am the sole or main author. I may get mentioned in other papers with the professor. I also manage the lab and oversee freshman projects and training.

I have been inducted into various honor societies and will be graduating with Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi honors. I am an officer for one of these honor socities and have held the position for 18 months. Everything about the society events goes through me and one other officer. I am also a member of other student social organizations and they vary widely from public relations to fishing to healthcare.

Outside of academics, I am heavily involved in community outreach trhough my church. I have been doing this outreach for 7 years. I am also part of competitive league for table tennis and I have competed in california before. I am an award-winning violinist, but that was in high school, although I still play for a small private quartet (nothing official though). I currenly keep a part-time job as a newspaper staff writer. I mainly cover student stories and educational politics. I also a part-owner of an online trading business with a few close friends.

Okay, thanks to anyone who reads this. Seriosly, I would be glad to help you guys out if you need my help.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
3.6/41 = you being in a very good position. Your Ec's are alright, and having some research is nice. I think you'll be able to get into a good deal of schools. I'd say you'll probably be able to get into a good top tier school, apply to maybe 15 schools and you'll be good( don't apply to all top tier though apply to like 10 schools where your competitive and 5ish top tier schools.)

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
You haven't mentioned physician shadowing, but otherwise, you look to have a very good application. Congrats on the excellent MCAT score. You have a lot of diverse interests that make you look well-rounded and interesting. I think you should do very well in the application cycle, assuming supportive Letters of Recommendation, an intriguing Personal Statement, and decent interview skills.

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
"My chances at any school"? Really? Yeah, you totally aren't getting in with that MCAT score :rolleyes:

I call troll

Mar 31, 2010
Malibu
Status
Pre-Medical
"My chances at any school"? Really? Yeah, you totally aren't getting in with that MCAT score :rolleyes:

I call troll
thanks :) some of you guys think that a top tier school isn't out of the question. What do you think about harvard yale brown or dartmouth? I absolutely love brown.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Brown is tough to get into b/c of the amount of people coming from their BS/MD. I wouldn't bet on it no matter how your stats are.

Mar 31, 2010
Malibu
Status
Pre-Medical
Brown is tough to get into b/c of the amount of people coming from their BS/MD. I wouldn't bet on it no matter how your stats are.
Yeah, i didn't even think about that. i'll apply anyways, but what do you think about dartmouth? Harvard and yale are always enigmas

Mar 31, 2010
Malibu
Status
Pre-Medical
You haven't mentioned physician shadowing, but otherwise, you look to have a very good application. Congrats on the excellent MCAT score. You have a lot of diverse interests that make you look well-rounded and interesting. I think you should do very well in the application cycle, assuming supportive Letters of Recommendation, an intriguing Personal Statement, and decent interview skills.
Yeah, I have had a really hard time finding a physician to shadow. Everyone is worried about the legal responsibilities. Can't blame them. Hopefully, the free clinic might bring some opportunities.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
also, what do you think about the diff. between my amcas gpa and the univ. Gpa?
It sucks that there's such a difference, but it is what it is. Fortunately, the AMCAS GPA is still competitive.

Mar 31, 2010
Malibu
Status
Pre-Medical
+1. This has troll written all over it.
Wow, it's hard to believe the number of people with trust issues on this board (see the argument that ensued in my other post).

Then again, maybe it's not so hard to believe. They always said pre-meds tend to be a little out of touch.

Just curious, was it my ECs or my MCAT score that intimidated you distrustful people? It obviously wasn't my average AMCAS cGPA!

Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been reading everything on this forum and there's a lot of good advice. Wondering if anyone can help me with mine?

Here goes....

I currently attend a California State University. I have a projected AMCAS 3.688 BCPM and a 3.6 cumulative. My university GPA, however, is 3.90 overall and 3.88 Biology. I have two poor performances in two CC classes before my freshman year. But I re-took those and got "A' in both. I rocked my MCAT though and scored 41R.

Extra Curricular-wise, I have a 18 months of hospital base volunteering with 200+ hours logged. I am also currently waiting to volunteer for a free clinic. At the hospital, I get an incredible amount of patient contact, even though I am not allowed to actually view the procedure. I do get to talk to them about the procedure and help clarify anything and to calm them if possible.

I have one year of research under my belt in an ecology lab (unusual right?) I have a paper up for publishing soon in which I am the sole or main author. I may get mentioned in other papers with the professor. I also manage the lab and oversee freshman projects and training.

I have been inducted into various honor societies and will be graduating with Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi honors. I am an officer for one of these honor socities and have held the position for 18 months. Everything about the society events goes through me and one other officer. I am also a member of other student social organizations and they vary widely from public relations to fishing to healthcare.

Outside of academics, I am heavily involved in community outreach trhough my church. I have been doing this outreach for 7 years. I am also part of competitive league for table tennis and I have competed in california before. I am an award-winning violinist, but that was in high school, although I still play for a small private quartet (nothing official though). I currenly keep a part-time job as a newspaper staff writer. I mainly cover student stories and educational politics. I also a part-owner of an online trading business with a few close friends.

Okay, thanks to anyone who reads this. Seriosly, I would be glad to help you guys out if you need my help.
Wow, great stuff!!!!! Clinical is little weak though, but forgivable with everything else and great LORs. You'll get in somewhere. If it were up to me, I'd smack any adcomms that don't let you in. Just curious, what are you doing in an Ecology lab?

Mar 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow, it's hard to believe the number of people with trust issues on this board (see the argument that ensued in my other post).

Then again, maybe it's not so hard to believe. They always said pre-meds tend to be a little out of touch.

Just curious, was it my ECs or my MCAT score that intimidated you distrustful people? It obviously wasn't my average AMCAS cGPA!

hahaha solid post. Yep, the amount of egomaniacs on this board is dis-heartening. I've ran into a few. The problem is most people follow this cook-book recipe:

1) Get a high GPA
2) Get a high MCAT
3) Volunteer
4) Shadow
5) [email protected] your Campus clubs
6) part-time work (non-academic related)
7) Short Research stint, often no publication

You broke the mold and made up your own recipe and define yourself in a way that makes you stand out. That's what makes it hard for them to believe and that's what intimidates them. I'd bet you would do great in the interview.

Kudos to you good sir for getting your act together. Whenever I need a physician, I hope it's you.