my chances at ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a latecomer to Ophtho and I'll appreciate some feedback on my chances.

Stats:
First 2 yrs = All Pass
3rd yr:
honors for Inpt IM,
near honors for OB, Peds, FM, Ophtho & Outpt IM;
Pass for Surg & Psych.
Step 1 = 240 (planning to take step 2 during interview season)
Research: 1 Ophtho (with 1st author pub potential), surg research/poster M2 yr.
Med school: Top 30 with a top 10 Ophtho program

Native American FWIW. I'm willing to go anywhere for residency.

I'm concerned about the near honors for my ophtho elective? Is this a deal breaker?
What would be a prudent number of programs to apply to given my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you can get your letters together in the next few weeks. Apply. If you are a decent interview, you should be able to match.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get your letters together in the next few weeks. Apply. If you are a decent interview, you should be able to match.

Thanks for ur fast reply!

I'm getting my letters together right now and I generally interview very well.

What's a safe # of programs to apply to given my stats?

Does anyone have advice about taking out residency/relocation loans to cover application/interview expenses (pitfalls etc)? I don't have $10K laying around or a rich uncle for that matter..

I think you have a good chance, I would just apply to as many programs as possible in case you are worried or your school's program director suggests applying broadly. If you end up getting more interviews than you can travel to then cancel them but why not give yourself a shot by casting your net wide?

Does anyone have advice about taking out residency/relocation loans to cover application/interview expenses (pitfalls etc)? I don't have $10K laying around or a rich uncle for that matter..

I took out a 10 grand loan for interviews. Had no other choice. It's going to have a higher interest rate compared to your federal loans, so make sure you pay it back in full before chipping away at the others.

I took out a 10 grand loan for interviews. Had no other choice. It's going to have a higher interest rate compared to your federal loans, so make sure you pay it back in full before chipping away at the others.

It's good to hear that I'm not totally nuts for contemplating this! I figure it's definitely worth it in the long run, if this is what it takes to have a shot at ophtho.

Good point on the interest rates! I'm approved for an 8.5% loan and I'll get a better rate once my cosigner gets onboard. Either way it's a much better rate than loading up my credit cards..

I think you have a good chance, I would just apply to as many programs as possible in case you are worried or your school's program director suggests applying broadly. If you end up getting more interviews than you can travel to then cancel them but why not give yourself a shot by casting your net wide?

First off thanks for splurging ur "annual SDN post" on me!!!:D

I'm actually thinking of doing exactly that, casting a really wide net (>70 programs) and attending as many interviews as humanly possible.

Another question/concern:
For contingency planning aka not matching in ophtho, would u guys recommend a parallel IM residency application? I actually like GI and I can live with that IF ophtho doesn't work out...
Alternatively I could apply for IM prelim and in the worst case scenario, try to convert that into a categorical IM position?

What do u guys think?

First off thanks for splurging ur "annual SDN post" on me!!!:D

I'm actually thinking of doing exactly that, casting a really wide net (>70 programs) and attending as many interviews as humanly possible.

Another question/concern:
For contingency planning aka not matching in ophtho, would u guys recommend a parallel IM residency application? I actually like GI and I can live with that IF ophtho doesn't work out...
Alternatively I could apply for IM prelim and in the worst case scenario, try to convert that into a categorical IM position?

What do u guys think?

You're already going to be applying to some IM prelim years along with your Ophtho application, because you need to do an intern year somewhere anyway. During that intern year you'll be doing enough writing "Protonix 80mg IV NOW then 8mg/hr continuous, draw H+H q4hr, type and cross 2U PRBCs, consult GI for possible EGD" that it will break your desire to ever treat a GI bleeder again and if you happen to not have matched you can reapply to Ophtho during your prelim intern year. Most people I met last year on the interview trail didn't have a backup specialty. The backup plan was usually trying again or doing research then trying again.

Come from a solid south medical school with solid ophtho program
First two years- all pass
3rd year- sucked it up- no honors and consequently a 3rd quartile ranking
Step 1 low 240s
Step 2 high 260s
2 very good big wig letters and 1 solid one from family med
Research- 2 submitted ophtho case reports and 1 ophtho poster presentation. 1st author on non ophto publication and 2 non ophto posters
Programs applied to 80+
Appreciate it.

Come from a solid south medical school with solid ophtho program
First two years- all pass
3rd year- sucked it up- no honors and consequently a 3rd quartile ranking
Step 1 low 240s
Step 2 high 260s
2 very good big wig letters and 1 solid one from family med
Research- 2 submitted ophtho case reports and 1 ophtho poster presentation. 1st author on non ophto publication and 2 non ophto posters
Programs applied to 80+
Appreciate it.

I can see you getting enough love from lower tiered programs to interview and match. Your boards and letters will go a long ways. You will probably get some love from mid tiers as well.

Did you apply to every lower tiered program?

See if your letter writers can pull any strings. You might feel needy/annoying but you won't regret it. If they like you, they won't mind.

I am an MS3 just finished my ophtho rotation and loved it. I scored a 244 on my step 1 and probably in the top quarter of my class. What should I look to do this year to help my chances of matching in a little over a year. I am currently looking for research opportunities.

I can see you getting enough love from lower tiered programs to interview and match. Your boards and letters will go a long ways. You will probably get some love from mid tiers as well.

Did you apply to every lower tiered program?

See if your letter writers can pull any strings. You might feel needy/annoying but you won't regret it. If they like you, they won't mind.
In my experience Step 1 matters way more than grades, and they all beat the average for Ophtho, so I think middle tiers at least will show them love.

I know this is my first post but wanted to see if I'd be competitive as well. I am currently a third year student at a mid-tier program.
Step 1: 244
Step 2: unknown
3rd year grades: Currently in it, so far all Honors
1st-2nd year grades: Half H half P (only H, P, F).
Research: 2 posters in neurosurgery, 1 submitted paper for neurosurg. No ophtho research yet.

Is it too late to try to do ophtho? Anything I should focus on in particular? Obviously I came into med school thinking one thing and my mind kind of changed haha.

I know this is my first post but wanted to see if I'd be competitive as well. I am currently a third year student at a mid-tier program.
Step 1: 244
Step 2: unknown
3rd year grades: Currently in it, so far all Honors
1st-2nd year grades: Half H half P (only H, P, F).
Research: 2 posters in neurosurgery, 1 submitted paper for neurosurg. No ophtho research yet.

Is it too late to try to do ophtho? Anything I should focus on in particular? Obviously I came into med school thinking one thing and my mind kind of changed haha.

I got just a few points higher on my Step 1 and matched my #1. You should be fine. I crammed a bunch of research into the early part of my M4 year as most of us end up doing and you have more time than that left. Most Ophthalmologists would probably tell you that they don't blame you for deciding against neurosurgery. Feel free to include that research in your application though since it shows you're no stranger to hard work. If you still want to poke sharp things towards CNS tissue you can always do a vitreoretinal surgery fellowship. Congratulations on deciding against neurosurgery and welcome back to the land of the living. ;)

I got just a few points higher on my Step 1 and matched my #1. You should be fine. I crammed a bunch of research into the early part of my M4 year as most of us end up doing and you have more time than that left. Most Ophthalmologists would probably tell you that they don't blame you for deciding against neurosurgery. Feel free to include that research in your application though since it shows you're no stranger to hard work. If you still want to poke sharp things towards CNS tissue you can always do a vitreoretinal surgery fellowship. Congratulations on deciding against neurosurgery and welcome back to the land of the living. ;)

Yea, my biggest concerns were whether I had decided too late and had essentially put all my eggs in 1 basket too early. I don't want the research in the other field look bad on my application.

Two people from my school matched with papers in fields not related to Ophtho. I think all that matters is some sort of research.