My Chances? (Community College Credits)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swaggy B

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to transfer from my four year university (CSU) after the first two semesters in order to attend a UC. To do this, I attended a community college my second year so I could receive priority when applying.

At my community college, I'm about to take an introductory psychology course, which is considered a prerequisite for multiple dental schools I want to apply to. Does this ruin my chances? I really want to move out of my current 4-year but if it's going to be at the cost of getting rejected from multiple dental schools I might as well change my mind...

In addition to that, I've also taken the first semester of general biology and chemistry at my 4-year. I earned a "C+" in biology and a "C-" in chemistry but I retook the chemistry course and got an "A-." Now I'm taking the second part of general chemistry (also at my 4-year) and I'm on track for another "A."

As of now, my GPA is 3.55 all together, but I heard the sciences are all that matters.

Should I be worried? I'm freaking out.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe it's different for Cali schools, but none of my schools has psych courses as pre reqs.

But the general rule is to avoid taking pre reqs at CCs. The C's in introductory courses will raise some eyebrows but retaking it might lower them a bit.

Right now it's impossible to tell. There's no DAT information, no higher science course grades (this is what matters) even though science intro courses are suppose to be smooth sailing. Come back in a year or two and we'll talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
But the general rule is to avoid taking pre reqs at CCs. The C's in introductory courses will raise some eyebrows but retaking it might lower them a bit.

Yeah, I agree it's going to look a bit unusual that I'm performing better in the tougher classes.

When you put psych classes in the AADSAS, they are "non-science." That's how unimportant psych is. I wouldn't worry about it as long as that is the only pre-req from a Community college

I was thinking that also but I needed to reassure myself. UCLA is one of the schools that has psychology as a pre-req. UCLA also requires a year of English composition, which I've split between my 4-year and my community college. I received A's in both courses.

Sup,
i took both chemistrys at a community college, and the first semester of biology. Now I am taking all my classes at a university. I have aced anatomy so far, and currently taking physiology. Will take every other class I need at the university to graduate. I think I had maybe 25 credits at the community college some were gec of course. You dont think this will hurt my chances?, also I aced all my courses at community college.

I think it depends on the schools you're applying to. Some don't want any credits coming from CCs at all and others don't mind a certain amount.