My Chances (Do I have any hope for this cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BitewingDuck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I know my stats aren't very good, but I was just wondering what you guys thought. Should I just give up any hope for this cycle or do you think there's a chance I might get an interview and acceptance?

Undergrad GPA: 2.7
Undegrad Science: 2.5

MS in Biotechnology GPA: 3.6

DAT - AA:17 TS:16 PA:22 (2nd try)
- AA:16 TS:16 PA:21 (1st try with a 14 in ochem)

I have worked for an endodontist as a dental assistant for 7 months (~700 hours), volunteered at a dental clinic for 100 hours, and only shadowed a dentist 1 day for 8 hours.

I will be finishing my masters this coming spring.

I applied pretty late too, I think my application was mailed out by AADSAS in early november. I applied to a lot of schools and I have received 8 rejections so far... I already bought more study guides for the DAT since I obviously need to retake it if I want to apply again.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the chance of you getting an interview and an acceptance this cycle is pretty slim, due to the fact that you applied really really late, and also because of your DAT scores.

I would start studying for the DAT's again, and reapply early next year. I think at some schools, you cannot take the DAT's more than 3 times, so this might be your last shot on the DAT's, so be sure you are very well prepared.

Don't give up hope for next years cyle. Put this year behind you and get yourself together for next. I too recieved a grundle of rejections before I was accepted. Your persistance and hard work will pay off!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should retake the DAT and apply early for next cycle. The 16 on TS can greatly hurt your chances. But anything can happen, some schools might call you the day before class for acceptance. Do your best and dont give up.

You definitely have a ton of good aspects on your application (volunteer, shadowing, ect.) however your GPA and DAT scores plus applying late is well...not good. I would agree with the other, don't lose all hope but I would plan on preparing for next cycle. At least you know what you have to do though:)

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's just as I thought. I just bought the DAT destroyer, hopefully that will be my key to success. (Before I was basically using the kaplan book).

Well on the positive side, at least I will most likely get to experience a year of real-world work :) (probably will still take some undergrad lvl classes too)