My chances for Texas MD or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0uc124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, I wouldn't be too hopeful about recieving interviews at UTSW or Baylor with those stats. Rest of the Texas MD schools seem plausible to me, though. UT-Houston seems to like accepting stat heavy applicants on pre-match day -- just somewhat of a headsup.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, I wouldn't be too hopeful about recieving interviews at UTSW or Baylor with those stats. Rest of the Texas MD schools seem plausible to me, though. UT-Houston seems to like accepting stat heavy applicants on pre-match day -- just somewhat of a headsup.

Should I retake the MCAT? What score should I reach in order to ensure an interview from UT Houston? Baylor and UTSW? I have MSAR but I just want to make sure.

Reactions: 1 user
The MSAR is a really helpful resource. I would aim to get your stats at least around the average of accepted students for the schools you're looking at, especially since you're ORM. Your GPA is fine, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'd say around 515+ for a better shot at securing interviews at Baylor/UTSW. I think your MCAT is fine for getting an interview at UT Houston, although I'm not sure if you'd be invited for the first couple of rounds. I hate to say this, but from personal experience, II from Texas schools seem relatively predictable based on stats alone. Whether you eventually get accepted after the interview or not is a different story, though. I interviewed this cycle and saw many of my buddies with extremely boring applications albeit with high stats (3.8+/36+ MCAT) chosen for interviews over those with amazing extracurriculars but lower stats.

I am probably the most cookie cutter applicant ever but with LizzyM~76+ and interviewed/was accepted at all the Texas schools that I applied for, including UTSW, Baylor, UTH, etc. Not to brag, but it shows that stats go a longer way than people are usually willing to admit. Actually going through the application process (at least in Texas) gave me some revelations like this, so I wanted to share my honest opinion.

As for retaking the MCAT, that's really your own judgment call. Retaking always risks the possibility of scoring lower, which could do more harm than good. I think you're on track to getting into at least one med school in Texas with your current status, and you're definitely more than competitive for TCOM.

Last edited:
The MSAR is a really helpful resource. I would aim to get your stats at least around the average of accepted students for the schools you're looking at, especially since you're ORM. Your GPA is fine, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'd say around 515+ for a better shot at securing interviews at Baylor/UTSW. I think your MCAT is fine for getting an interview at UT Houston, although I'm not sure if you'd be invited for the first couple of rounds. I hate to say this, but from personal experience, II from Texas schools seem relatively predictable based on stats alone. Whether you eventually get accepted after the interview or not is a different story, though. I interviewed this cycle and saw many of my buddies with extremely boring applications albeit with high stats (3.8+/36+ MCAT) chosen for interviews over those with amazing extracurriculars but lower stats.

I am probably the most cookie cutter applicant ever but with LizzyM~76+ and interviewed/was accepted at all the Texas schools that I applied for, including UTSW, Baylor, UTH, etc. Not to brag, but it shows that stats go a longer way than people are usually willing to admit. Actually going through the application process (at least in Texas) gave me some revelations like this, so I wanted to share my honest opinion.

As for retaking the MCAT, that's really your own judgment call. Retaking always risks the possibility of scoring lower, which could do more harm than good. I think you're on track to getting into at least one med school in Texas with your current status, and you're definitely more than competitive for TCOM.

I thought Baylor and UTSW were more focused on research. That's why I am kind of reluctant since I am not interested nor had much experience beside running errands in the labs. Do you have a lot of research in your resume? And also, I thought GPA and MCAT only play so far as getting you past screening test, the rest falls on EC. It is not always true?

I actually did have some research, but I don't think it ever amounted to more than a year total. I also didn't get a rec from my PI since I didn't really contribute much at all to her lab, so research definitely wasn't one of my strong points. I've also seen people get into UTSW and Baylor with pretty much no research as well.

It looks like some schools emphasize the interview more than others regarding the final decision to accept. For example, interviews seem to have VERY low priority at UTSW -- if you have some time, I would recommend taking a look at the UTSW specific page and counting how many people get in with "the worst interview of my cycle" year after year. Baylor, on the hand, really does care about the interview.

In general, the acceptance process as described by many people on these forums is analogous to a very long ladder. At the time of the interview, everyone is already ranked on the ladder, with people with more impressive applications higher up. The interview causes the ranking of applicants to reorder to some extent, but that doesn't mean the interview is the sole factor in determining an acceptance.

I actually did have some research, but I don't think it ever amounted to more than a year total. I also didn't get a rec from my PI since I didn't really contribute much at all to her lab, so research definitely wasn't one of my strong points. I've also seen people get into UTSW and Baylor with pretty much no research as well.

It looks like some schools emphasize the interview more than others regarding the final decision to accept. For example, interviews seem to have VERY low priority at UTSW -- if you have some time, I would recommend taking a look at the UTSW specific page and counting how many people get in with "the worst interview of my cycle" year after year. Baylor, on the hand, really does care about the interview.

In general, the acceptance process as described by many people on these forums is analogous to a very long ladder. At the time of the interview, everyone is already ranked on the ladder, with people with more impressive applications higher up. The interview causes the ranking of applicants to reorder to some extent, but that doesn't mean the interview is the sole factor in determining an acceptance.

alright thanks a lot. I'll take a look around the forum more.

From personal experience have you met people who have gotten interviews from UTSW with a LizzyM of <70? I have similar stats as OP and would love an interview from UTSW, but it doesn't seem too likely from what I've read on here :/

I've seen a couple of people get interviews from UTSW with LizzyM around 70 over the years, but those are few and far between. I've also noticed these people are usually the ones that are higher on the GPA spectrum (3.8+ GPA) much like OP and possibly yourself. Having a LizzyM below or at around 70 doesn't automatically preclude you from getting an interview, but I would say I wouldn't be too hopeful at the same time.

On the other hand, I'd be pretty shocked to find someone with a LizzyM of 74-75 who didn't receive an II from UTSW.

I've seen a couple of people get interviews from UTSW with LizzyM around 70 over the years, but those are few and far between. I've also noticed these people are usually the ones that are higher on the GPA spectrum (3.8+ GPA) much like OP and possibly yourself. Having a LizzyM below or at around 70 doesn't automatically preclude you from getting an interview, but I would say I wouldn't be too hopeful at the same time.

On the other hand, I'd be pretty shocked to find someone with a LizzyM of 74-75 who didn't receive an II from UTSW.

I received an interview invite from UTSW with a 71.4 LizzyM the first two times I applied to medical school (LizzyM 71.4 both times). The third time I applied with a 76 LizzyM and did not receive a UTSW invite, but that probably largely had to do with my status as a 3 time re-applicant.

I received an interview invite from UTSW with a 71.4 LizzyM the first two times I applied to medical school (LizzyM 71.4 both times). The third time I applied with a 76 LizzyM and did not receive a UTSW invite, but that probably largely had to do with my status as a 3 time re-applicant

If you dont mind me asking, were you not able to get accepted at any tx schools for first 2 times or was it simply because you wanted utsw only? 71.4 LizzyM should still be competitive for a lof of tx schools right?

If you dont mind me asking, were you not able to get accepted at any tx schools for first 2 times or was it simply because you wanted utsw only? 71.4 LizzyM should still be competitive for a lof of tx schools right?

I was not accepted to a single school - TX or outside - the first and second times that I applied. I would've been ecstatic for any acceptance. I've briefly talked about my story before in a couple of other threads on SDN. I'll copy/paste quotes here:

First application cycle: 3.84 cGPA/33R MCAT (downward GPA trend from 4.0 to 3.84 due to mother being diagnosed with cancer. Made B's in developmental bio, mechanisms of drug action, macromolecular structure determination, and molecular biology and a C in evolution)

Second application cycle: 3.84 cGPA/33R MCAT (added a year of EMT-B volunteer hours, did not allay adcom's concerns about my ability to handle the rigors of medical school given my downward trend in GPA)

Third application cycle (current): 3.91 cPGA/517 MCAT (obtained a 3rd undergraduate degree to bolster my GPA). I made straight As for 6 semesters straight obtaining my third degree to prove that my downward trend in GPA was an aberration.

(Note: My sGPA is also 3.90)

I appreciate it man! There is one sliver of hope left. I had an interview at Texas Tech Lubbock last Friday and I felt like those interviews went extremely well.

After my first application cycle (interviews at UTSW, UTH, and UTMB), I contacted my interviewers at UTSW and they told me that my stats were simply mediocre for their school. They told me nothing was particularly wrong with my application, but they simply had more qualified applicants than spots (generic response). I did not contact Dr. Rabek, nor did I contact anyone from UTH. During my UTH interview, one of my interviewers (a surgeon) seemed keen on getting me to come to UTH. He asked where I had interviewed and I told him that I had interviewed at UTSW and UTMB. He then facetiously said that I should come to UTH instead of hanging around with the "beach bums" (his words verbatim) down in Galveston (he said this laughingly in jest, but the point is that he seemed keen on having me attend UTH. I thought my interview went well with him!)

After my second application cycle (interviews at UTSW and Texas A&M), I contacted one of my interviewers at A&M (Dr. Naik) and he told me that getting straight B's and C's in upper level bio courses immediately before matriculating to medical school was a huge red flag. Their rationale was that if I crumble so much under the prospect of a family member being diagnosed with cancer, how can I possibly handle the rigors of medicine when physicians are expected to stay steady and collected in emotionally trying situations.

I graduated with degrees in Neuroscience and Biochemistry initially. I added a degree in chemical engineering with a minor in mathematics (2013-current) for the current cycle. I'll have 3 B.S. degrees (Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Chemical Engineering) and a minor (Mathematics) come Spring 2016.

If I don't get in this cycle, I am absolutely going to be proactive and ask every one of my interviewers as well as both adcom's (at UTMB and Texas Tech Lubbock) what I can do to improve my chances for an upcoming cycle.

A common question people asked me was why chemical engineering? It seems to paint a picture that I am not passionately interested in medicine. The reason I chose chemical engineering is three-fold:

1) I needed a way to improve my GPA (in particular, my GPA trend per feedback after my 2nd cycle) and I had already exhausted all bio-related courses at my school. I've taken every bio/biochem course under the sun.

2) I wanted to choose a particularly difficult major to prove that I can thrive in medical school. Our undergraduate chemical engineering program is top 5 in the nation, and I had hoped that getting straight A's would sell well for admissions committees.

3) I wanted a backup in case medical school did not work out. Bachelors degrees in neuroscience and biochemistry are no-go's for employment, but chemical engineering is a terminal degree with great job prospects even at the bachelor's level. Chemical engineering is fairly diverse in that one doesn't have to go into oil ands gas. I chose the biomedical/pre-med "track" while pursuing my degree in chemical engineering, and consequently a bulk of my electives were bio-related.

My first texas tech interviewer was shocked that I did not get in and she straight up told me "there is absolutely nothing wrong with your application and it's their loss for not admitting you" (she was referring to schools that had interviewed me prior). My second interview was a stress interview where we talked about physician assisted suicide at length, but I feel like I handled it fairly well and by the end of the interview my interviewer told me I did a "great job" and that he would recommend me to the admissions committee. Our interview went over by 20 minutes (we talked for 40 minutes when interviews are meant to be 20 minutes a piece).

I am extremely happy to say that I've been accepted this round :) It took me 7 years and 3 application cycles to do it, but it happened. I cannot remember the last time I've cried that much.

Reactions: 1 user
LizzyM has mentioned this before but getting an interview at UTSW with relatively low stats is a more or less a lost cause. You've already been ranked pre-interview largely by your GPA and MCAT, and if you go in with low stats it's very likely that you're lower on the "staircase" of applicants to begin with. UTSW's interview plays little role in determining admissions decisions, as OrangeTub mentioned. LizzyM has mentioned that interviews can rarely cause large changes in "stair step" position among applicants.

My interview invites from UTSW were fool's gold the first two times I applied. A 3.84/33R MCAT as an asian american male is flat out not competitive for UTSW. I was essentially told just that from my interviewers at southwestern when they told me my stats were mediocre for their school. The irony is that my current set of stats (even as an asian american male) are relatively more competitive for UTSW, although a 3.91 cGPA is on the low side (UTSW fills half of its class with perfect 4.0's, so I'm already below the median by virtue of not having a perfect GPA).

I am seriously amazed by your efforts...... straight As all the way through, even with ChemE.... and 7 years for 3 cycles. I gotta try harder then.

I am extremely happy to say that I've been accepted this round :) It took me 7 years and 3 application cycles to do it, but it happened. I cannot remember the last time I've cried that much.

Congratulations!