My chances? GPA 3.5 and 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamiechan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.5 is iffy. What is your BCPM (Biology Chemistry Physics Mathematics) GPA?

Apply mid to low tier MD and DO. You should get in DO.

My BCPM is 3.495 so its pretty much same as my total gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
i would say you should apply to mid-lower tier M.D and some D.O schools if your okay with D.O. Your mcat is above the average by quite a bit for D.O, but just slightly under-average for M.D

im not planning on DO but I m glad there is some hope!

thanks guys :D

Hey everyone any input would be greatly appreciated.

-I have a 3.5 GPA
-My mcat first time was 23 (PS 8 VB 5 BS10)
second time was 25 (PS 8 VB6 BS11)
third time was 30 ( 10 all around.)
-Research at maternal fetal medicine lab for two years in a UC
my project was included in the undergraduate journal (with many other students)
participated in symposiums
-Volunteered in my local hospital for approximately 4 years with more than 200 hours
board positions in the hospital for couple years
-shadowed doctors for 50+ hours abroad in hospitals in thailand
-volunteer online counselor for youth for 3 years
-started volunteering at a liver center
-and i enjoy yoga.

I am currently job hunting until the next cycle. The jobs I am looking for can range from working in a lab or teaching.

How does my chances towards Medical school look?

Thanks!!!! :)

im not planning on DO but I m glad there is some hope!

thanks guys :D

Are you Asian as your username implies? If yes, then DO is your only hope.

really? i am asian.......

MedPR is on the right track. I'd definitely apply DO. MD may not be out completely but your chances are too low for me to recommend an MD-only cycle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Depending upon where you live, suggest your state schools and the low-mid-tier ones. Do NOT apply to out-of-state public schools. You're solid for any DO school.

Hey everyone any input would be greatly appreciated.

-I have a 3.5 GPA
-My mcat first time was 23 (PS 8 VB 5 BS10)
second time was 25 (PS 8 VB6 BS11)
third time was 30 ( 10 all around.)
-Research at maternal fetal medicine lab for two years in a UC
my project was included in the undergraduate journal (with many other students)
participated in symposiums
-Volunteered in my local hospital for approximately 4 years with more than 200 hours
board positions in the hospital for couple years
-shadowed doctors for 50+ hours abroad in hospitals in thailand
-volunteer online counselor for youth for 3 years
-started volunteering at a liver center
-and i enjoy yoga.

I am currently job hunting until the next cycle. The jobs I am looking for can range from working in a lab or teaching.

How does my chances towards Medical school look?

Thanks!!!! :)

Depending upon where you live, suggest your state schools and the low-mid-tier ones. Do NOT apply to out-of-state public schools. You're solid for any DO school.
2/3's of successful CA applicants with similar stats are accepted to OOS schools. Far fewer are accepted in CA.

ughh this is bad... im from California ... i really dont plan on applying to DO. Does anyone know how I can strengthen my chances for MD?

2/3's of successful CA applicants with similar stats are accepted to OOS schools. Far fewer are accepted in CA.

yea, I know i have no chance with CA schools so Im not even going to bother.

Members don't see this ad :)
ughh this is bad... im from California ... i really dont plan on applying to DO. Does anyone know how I can strengthen my chances for MD?
I know of many CA applicants with your stats that got in OOS last year. The rate limiting step for you this application cycle is tardiness. All of your MCAT results will be available when you apply so continuing to take it with small chance of a dramatic increase seems fruitless. An early ap next year to 20 places where you have a fair to good chance at an interview (+- some post bac courses or an SMP) is your best chance at an MD school. Are you a reapplicant?

I know of many CA applicants with your stats that got in OOS last year. The rate limiting step for you this application cycle is tardiness. All of your MCAT results will be available when you apply so continuing to take it with small chance of a dramatic increase seems fruitless. An early ap next year to 20 places where you have a fair to good chance at an interview (+- some post bac courses or an SMP) is your best chance at an MD school. Are you a reapplicant?

No, this is my first time applying. Thanks for your feedback.:) I plan on sending my apps in earliest possible.

Almost similar situation, how many more points is competitive?

I'm in a similar situation. Studying for MCAT as a plan B. For Asian, I heard 35+ is the safest bet, but at the same time there are still, I heard, numerous Asians with 34-36 struggling to get in, though...

Wow, I didn't think being asian played that much of a role in admissions...
I'm in a similar situation. Studying for MCAT as a plan B. For Asian, I heard 35+ is the safest bet, but at the same time there are still, I heard, numerous Asians with 34-36 struggling to get in, though...

Apply DO and MD. I know that's not your priority, but trust me, you'll thank us later.

Wow, I didn't think being asian played that much of a role in admissions...

yeah just paint yourself black for the interview, you'll be surprised how quickly you get acceptances

Reactions: 1 user
Ya, how big of a deal race plays in getting an acceptance is pretty disgusting but not going away anytime soon.

Where was your undergraduate at? If it was UC Berkeley your GPA will probably be ok/good, but if it wasn't you also have a low GPA which makes things worse.

I would wager a guess that a 33-34 gives you an "ok but not great" shot at an MD and a 35+ gets you a 50%+ shot, with how much over 50% depending on how high your MCAT is. This is if you apply early and broadly.

Asian + California is just very tough :(

Ya, how big of a deal race plays in getting an acceptance is pretty disgusting but not going away anytime soon.

Where was your undergraduate at? If it was UC Berkeley your GPA will probably be ok/good, but if it wasn't you also have a low GPA which makes things worse.

I would wager a guess that a 33-34 gives you an "ok but not great" shot at an MD and a 35+ gets you a 50%+ shot, with how much over 50% depending on how high your MCAT is. This is if you apply early and broadly.

It's not race. The same stats in any other state with be more consistent with admission. CA also has more Asian applicants, but 800/5000 admission/applicant ratio is the predominant factor.

It's not race. The same stats in any other state with be more consistent with admission. CA also has more Asian applicants, but 800/5000 admission/applicant ratio is the predominant factor.

I'm pretty sure she/he would not be getting the same advice if he were African American. The advice would be more along the lines of "You've got a great shot at Cali schools and you'll for sure get in at least somewhere!"

You can agree or disagree with the way things currently work, but lets not pretend race doesn't matter.

FWIW, I'm not sure if being Asian is worse than white or any other non-URM (or if so by how much) but at the end of the day his race + state is a very bad combo. Better to face the issue head on and make informed decisions than pretend it doesn't exist IMO.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure she/he would not be getting the same advice if he were African American. The advice would be more along the lines of "You've got a great shot at Cali schools and you'll for sure get in at least somewhere!"

You can agree or disagree with the way things currently work, but lets not pretend race doesn't matter.

FWIW, I'm not sure if being Asian is worse than white or any other non-URM (or if so by how much) but at the end of the day his race + state is a very bad combo. Better to face the issue head on and make informed decisions than pretend it doesn't exist IMO.
I agree with informed decision. That's why I recommended OOS. In this case, it is the option in his control that will have the greatest impact on the outcome. Comparing the number of Asian and black applicants will not.

OP has taken the mcat three times already...I would suggest low-tier MD, DO schools or an SMP.

Agreed. OP you should apply D.O. theres nothing shameful about applying to osteopathic schools if your goal is to become a physician.

Agreed. OP you should apply D.O. theres nothing shameful about applying to osteopathic schools if your goal is to become a physician.

Yea i got nothing against DO. I just want to be able to do missions and volunteering in the future as a doctor and having an DO degree might hinder that. (bc I heard that in some foreign countries DO is not the same as MD.

tell me about it :( but yea im not from berkeley......... But I like to mention I have a really strong upward curve the last two years. I really messed up in the beginning.

Yea i got nothing against DO. I just want to be able to do missions and volunteering in the future as a doctor and having an DO degree might hinder that. (bc I heard that in some foreign countries DO is not the same as MD.

This is just about the last thing you should consider when deciding MD vs DO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here are the schools I am looking at:
Albany medical college
boston university school of medicine
case western
chicago med
cooper
creighton
drexel
evmc
emory
florida atlantic
FIU
geisel
george washington
georgetown
hofstra
indiana university
jefferson med college
usc
loma linda
loyola
marshall univereisty joan c edwards
medical college of wisconsin
new york medical college
oakland (michigan)
ohio state
ohsu
penn state
rus
st. louis
suny downstate
suny upstate
stony brook
temple
univeresity of toledo
warren alpert med school of brown
tufts
tulane
uniformed services
university of arizona (both tucson and phoenix)
UC davis
UCLA
UCR
university of cincinnati
university of missouri kansas city
university of north dakota SOM
Rochester
Utah
vermont college
commonwealth
wake forest
west virginia

Im more interested on if there are some schools that I missed. Once I have a list of potential schools, I will start to narrow it down.

Also, I calculated my amcas gpa its 3.48 not 3.5

Last edited:
Your chances at an MD school are very low. I would suggest focusing on osteopathic (DO). Why are you so against the idea of osteopathic?

Can anyone help me with my list?

Thanks in advance! :D

anyone? I just want to see if I am missing any schools on my list for this year :D

.along with all the DO schools in california, anything else?

Last edited:
Take out case and Emory and possibly Dartmouth and Rochester

Honestly I think your chances rely on an early application and how well you write and speak of things uniquely and profoundly

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

ok..........................along with all the DO schools in california, anything else?

You really should try DO schools.

FYI unless you plan on setting up a practice outside the country you will be able to do any type of medical mission you want to with doctor's without borders (DWB). This is because its the agency you are serving with that accepts/rejects your credentials. DWB accepts DOs so you would have 0 hinderance.

Now if you want to practice in some third world country for the rest of your life you might have a problem, but if not then there is no reason to not apply to Osteopathic schools.

Take out case and Emory and possibly Dartmouth and Rochester

Honestly I think your chances rely on an early application and how well you write and speak of things uniquely and profoundly

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Thanks for your response! appreciate it :)

Hi, I would like to update what I am doing now.

in addition to the activities I listed in the original post, I also started
-tutoring
-Got a job as a EMT B for a accredited company
-Research with an OBGYN on down syndrome. We just submitted an article and working rapidly on another one.
-work at a doctor's office once a week (shadowing and prepping patient rooms)

Here are the schools I am looking at:
Albany medical college
boston university school of medicine
case western
chicago med
cooper
creighton
drexel
evmc
emory
florida atlantic
FIU
geisel
george washington
georgetown
hofstra
indiana university
jefferson med college
usc
loma linda
loyola
marshall univereisty joan c edwards
medical college of wisconsin
new york medical college
oakland (michigan)
ohio state
ohsu
penn state
rus
st. louis
suny downstate
suny upstate
stony brook
temple
univeresity of toledo
warren alpert med school of brown
tufts
tulane
uniformed services
university of arizona (both tucson and phoenix)
UC davis
UCLA
UCR
university of cincinnati
university of missouri kansas city
university of north dakota SOM
Rochester
Utah
vermont college
commonwealth
wake forest
west virginia

Im more interested on if there are some schools that I missed. Once I have a list of potential schools, I will start to narrow it down.

Also, I calculated my amcas gpa its 3.48 not 3.5

Take out the above state schools unless you have strong ties to the respective state(s). Your chances at those schools are very low to nonexistent.

You can add VCU and Buffalo.

Apply to at least Western, Touro NV, KCUMB, and DMU for DO.

Take out the above state schools unless you have strong ties to the respective state(s). Your chances at those schools are very low to nonexistent.

You can add VCU and Buffalo.

Apply to at least Western, Touro NV, KCUMB, and DMU for DO.

thanks for your help!

UHH excuse me????? you dont know me. I m asking about my schools okay? seriously if you want to go to medical school or osteopathic school or nursing school, fantastic go for it but dont be forcing people to do **** they dont want. And dont tell me that i have no idea on **** either.

you have no idea what youre talking about.

He's giving you serious advice. No one is going to respond to you if you have that kind of attitude.