MD & DO My chances? non-traditional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fanny_Pack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, assuming that 1) your change in immigration status means that you are now a US citizen and 2) you will be finishing your PhD, I think you have a good shot anywhere you apply. I don't think you will need to apply to DO schools. Here is a list of schools I think you should look into ranked in (very) rough order of competitiveness in the states you've indicated. I have starred (*) the ones that I really really think you should look into based on your applicant profile. The others are ones you might potentially consider.

Edit: sorry! I didn't see earlier that your MCAT score was not finalized - this list stands if and only if you achieve 33+ equivalent on the new MCAT when you take it for real (this amounts to 514+ new). I would recommend checking back when you take and get your scores back for the MCAT and then we can give you more targeted advice.

More competitive:
Harvard
Penn (maybe - your MCAT is below their 10th percentile)
*Johns Hopkins
*Yale (MCAT is at 10th percentile)
*Columbia
NYU (MCAT is at 10th percentile)
*Duke
*Cornell
*Pittsburgh
Mt. Sinai (MCAT is at 10th percentile)

Less competitive:
*UVA
*Einstein
*Rochester
Boston U
*Wake Forest
Tufts
*Jefferson
Temple
*VCU
EVMS
Drexel

A good mix of these schools should net you an acceptance!

For completion's sake (and to appease @gyngyn when he inevitably checks in), which Hispanic community do you represent? It's also good that you have some service towards the Hispanic community. Are you fluent in Spanish?

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly have no idea if Venezuelans are URMs are not. Goro and gyngyn can help with that. My uneducated guess is yes they are.

If they aren't URMs you can still be competitive but this discussion is all moot without an MCAT score. There are many people who score 3-4 points below their average scores; lets see what happens on the real deal.

IF you are a URM you look to be in very good shape all around.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, assuming that 1) your change in immigration status means that you are now a US citizen and 2) you will be finishing your PhD, I think you have a good shot anywhere you apply. I don't think you will need to apply to DO schools. Here is a list of schools I think you should look into ranked in (very) rough order of competitiveness in the states you've indicated. I have starred (*) the ones that I really really think you should look into based on your applicant profile. The others are ones you might potentially consider.

Edit: sorry! I didn't see earlier that your MCAT score was not finalized - this list stands if and only if you achieve 33+ equivalent on the new MCAT when you take it for real (this amounts to 514+ new). I would recommend checking back when you take and get your scores back for the MCAT and then we can give you more targeted advice.

More competitive:
Harvard
Penn (maybe - your MCAT is below their 10th percentile)
*Johns Hopkins
*Yale (MCAT is at 10th percentile)
*Columbia
NYU (MCAT is at 10th percentile)
*Duke
*Cornell
*Pittsburgh
Mt. Sinai (MCAT is at 10th percentile)

Less competitive:
*UVA
*Einstein
*Rochester
Boston U
*Wake Forest
Tufts
*Jefferson
Temple
*VCU
EVMS
Drexel

A good mix of these schools should net you an acceptance!

For completion's sake (and to appease @gyngyn when he inevitably checks in), which Hispanic community do you represent? It's also good that you have some service towards the Hispanic community. Are you fluent in Spanish?

You're saying OP has a chance at those competitive schools even with a 3.2cgpa?