My chances of dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTArx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sitting in the parking lot now, just finished my dat with 1 hr of sleep and a granola bar for bfast .. I just wanted to know what are my chances of dental school with these scores:

Pat: 25
Qr: 17
Rc: 21
Biology: 21
Gc: 21
Oc: 22
Ts: 21
AA: 20

I died in qr because I was so tired by then lol. Only problem is my gpa is 3.2, currently going into P2 year of pharmacy (4th year outta 6 year program). Im on the MBA and PharmD track right now with 3.2 in pharmacy and 4.0 in MBA. I have a bunch of on campus extra curricular activities (like being in an NCAA sport) but they are not related to dentistry...gonna look for shadowing opportunity when I go back to school..

My questions: should I apply this cycle? Will I have a chance? Also should I retake the DAT? I'm not very happy about the QR...Thanks for any inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Your DAT is fine. What will hurt you is the fact that you're in pharmacy school and have no dental experience. I would definitely wait if I were you

First of all, great DAT!!!

I would suggest you take this year to gain dental experience by doing things like working at a dental office as a receptionist/DA, shadowing, volunteering at dental clinics, etc.. Get letters of recommendations and start working on your PS. Apply June 1st the next cycle

Your DAT is pretty solid (minus the QR), especially the PAT! I disagree with the above poster that being in pharmacy school will hurt you but I would definitely try to add some shadowing before you apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much guys! I literally thought my score is gonna be crap after taking the 2009 practice exam... Do you think my gpa will hurt me? Or will they understand because Pharmacy is a doctrates program...my orthodontist at UPenn told me being in Pharmacy will put me above other applicants for sure

No way will pharmacy school hurt you at all. I was also in a 2 + 4 pharmacy school program, but decided to pursue dentistry after my 2nd year of undergrad. If you are in rx school the admission committee will know that you have what it takes to be in a graduate program, and I would say rx school is a lot harder than undergrad. However, I would get shadowing hours completed which you can rock out pretty quick and get at least a 100

Anyone have an opinion on my chances?
I'm so worried.

GPA: 3.81
Science GPA: 3.71

Pat: 19
Qr: 18
Rc: 19
Biology: 21
Gc: 19
Oc: 23
Ts: 21
AA: 20

Thanks so much guys! I literally thought my score is gonna be crap after taking the 2009 practice exam... Do you think my gpa will hurt me? Or will they understand because Pharmacy is a doctrates program...my orthodontist at UPenn told me being in Pharmacy will put me above other applicants for sure

Your GPA is not bad at all. Actually, I think a hard program like pharmacy would be much, much harder than just regular undergrad science classes! You should be in good shape!!!