This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrkk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an international student who did high school and undergrad here in the United States. I am a Nutrition major with an emphasis in Dietetics. I have graduated Magna Cum Laude but having 3.58 gpa as the method of calculating gpa for med app was different. I have numerous ec's like being a secretary for Nutrition education in U.S, fundraising committee chair, have 3-4 years of research experience as a research assistant, have 1500 ish hrs of community volunteering, ESL tutor for refugees, have my own start-up program where I teach Nutrition and health info for underserved people in underdeveloped or developing nations, also am a dietetic intern which would count as a clinical experience as I interact with patients which is almost 1200 hrs.

My MCAT was 494,492, and just got my score today and was a 496. I studied for years even took prep courses, Uworld, practised almost 20 fl's and what not but still here. On retakes, I was almost 515-518.

Already submitted secondaries for M.D and D.O.

Please advice how strong my application is, what my chances are(not planning for retake even I know that's what you'll would say), and any past acceptances with this score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was going to ask if you have any clinical experiences and shadowing but then I saw your MCAT scores. I don’t know enough about DO to respond but between being an international student, having a below average GPA for MD and horrible MCAT scores I don’t think MD is an option at all. So maybe focus on DO schools but I really don’t know .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MD is off the table

DO is on life support.

I suggest it's time for Plan B
For me,Plan B would be applying the next cycle, but would like to try my best this cycle. Do you think there are chances of D.O?

For me, Plan B would be applying the next cycle, but would like to try my best this cycle. Do you think there are chances of D.O?
Your Plan B is not realistic. You're a 3x MCAT taker who has failed to clear the 500 bar. You're in the risk zone for failing Boards and/or failing out of medical schools.

There are 16ish DO schools that accept internationals. I don't keep track of them, other than UNECOM and MSUCOM, which have a fondness for Canadians. I believe that you're DOA at these two schools.

Plan B means moving on from Medicine to something else.

I think you should take the MCAT one more time with the goal for 520. You can’t be studying for the MCAT correctly. Not to be offensive but without studying I was able to get a 496 without studying. Not everyone is going to be like this, but this is to tell you that something is off with your MCAT that’s a red flag. I don’t agree MD is off the table but maybe any high tiers (I don’t think Emory will even look at you). Your application is nice but your problem is numbers. Are you taking loads of practice questions (buy uworld), are you looking at equation and review sheets everyday? Are you good at CARs get it up to 130 no if’s about it at this point unless there’s a language barrier it’s doable. If you can’t do that then maybe you should move on, the tests only get harder. Retake scores aren’t really helpful there are some memory interference in those scores. Until you go down the learning objectives of the MCAT and discuss each one you shouldn’t take the test. If you don’t want to take the test this cycle it will be tough I wouldn’t expect much.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I think you should take the MCAT one more time with the goal for 520. You can’t be studying for the MCAT correctly. Not to be offensive but without studying I was able to get a 496 without studying. Not everyone is going to be like this, but this is to tell you that something is off with your MCAT that’s a red flag. I don’t agree MD is off the table but maybe any high tiers (I don’t think Emory will even look at you). Your application is nice but your problem is numbers. Are you taking loads of practice questions (buy uworld), are you looking at equation and review sheets everyday? Are you good at CARs get it up to 130 no if’s about it at this point unless there’s a language barrier it’s doable. If you can’t do that then maybe you should move on, the tests only get harder. Retake scores aren’t really helpful there are some memory interference in those scores. Until you go down the learning objectives of the MCAT and discuss each one you shouldn’t take the test. If you don’t want to take the test this cycle it will be tough I wouldn’t expect much.
I think you are offering this person some very false hope. He claims to have “studied for years even took prep courses, Uworld, practised almost 20 fl's and what not but still here.” And he still is scoring in the mid490s. I agree he isn’t studying the right way or effectively but then again there is a good possibility he is studying effectively and this is the best he can do. I’m sure he was shooting for 520 + every time he took the test. Despite what you think , MD is off the table. Even if he somehow managed to retake and get a 520 all of his previous scores are seen by reviewers and at some schools all scores are averaged. The best he can do is apply widely to DO schools and see what happens. I’m interested in his clinical experiences and shadowing , areas he hasn’t mentioned at all.
I’m all for encouraging people but I think we need to be careful .Applicants with stellar applications are rejected every cycle.
Just my opinion.

I think you are offering this person some very false hope. He claims to have “studied for years even took prep courses, Uworld, practised almost 20 fl's and what not but still here.” And he still is scoring in the mid490s. I agree he isn’t studying the right way or effectively but then again there is a good possibility he is studying effectively and this is the best he can do. I’m sure he was shooting for 520 + every time he took the test. Despite what you think , MD is off the table. Even if he somehow managed to retake and get a 520 all of his previous scores are seen by reviewers and at some schools all scores are averaged. The best he can do is apply widely to DO schools and see what happens. I’m interested in his clinical experiences and shadowing , areas he hasn’t mentioned at all.
I’m all for encouraging people but I think we need to be careful .Applicants with stellar applications are rejected every cycle.
Just my opinion.
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I am a dietetic intern and will have 1200 ish clinical hrs, 50 hrs of virtual shadowing, and other ec's as mentioned above. You're right, my goal was 520+ done everything on the earth, some said that it was an anxiety problem so did take the pills as well but the score is the same. I am a nutrition major and did well in my college and EC's but not good on standardized tests like MCAT and SAT. Do you think my remaining app is strong? Do you think I have any unique ec's?

Actually tried a lot to know what my problem was but was still unable to identify that. Tried many consultations from test companies but they say I am good and don't need help. CARS is my worst section even though I am really good in my reading and writing courses. I dreamt of 520+ each day and night/

If you spent years studying and got a 496, you either studied incorrectly or lack the baseline cognitive ability required to excel on a graduate entry exam. You had a 3.6 GPA in college (albeit in an easy major), and this indicates to me that the former is more likely than the latter.

Have you taken any standardized tests in the past? SAT/ACT? GRE? If so, how did you do on them?

What clinical hours have you amassed in a dietetic program that would be useful in proving your interest and abilities in medical school? The basic activities on your app(that you have shared) all totally focus on Nutrition and Dietetics. Nowhere do you mention any interest in studying medicine. I’m not sure what brought you to medicine , how you are still here and why on earth you applied to medical school with such a weak application.
What are you doing now? Are you working in Nutrition/dietetics? Perhaps you should stay there for a few years and enjoy life. After some time you might realize you don’t want medicine or you will realize that your chances for an acceptance are very low. Or you might decide medicine is worth the fight and you start over. Take same time and think it through.

If you spent years studying and got a 496, you either studied incorrectly or lack the baseline cognitive ability required to excel on a graduate entry exam. You had a 3.6 GPA in college (albeit in an easy major), and this indicates to me that the former is more likely than the latter.

Have you taken any standardized tests in the past? SAT/ACT? GRE? If so, how did you do on them?
Do you believe that Nutrition is an easy major? I thought it was kinda a tough one where we do a ton of case studies, food science, and study medical terminology with advance micro and macro classes. I do not do well on other standardized tests too like SAT but had a perfect GPA many times in my undergrad and was almost 3.8+(3.58 was calculated by med schools).

a

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
What clinical hours have you amassed in a dietetic program that would be useful in proving your interest and abilities in medical school? The basic activities on your app(that you have shared) all totally focus on Nutrition and Dietetics. Nowhere do you mention any interest in studying medicine. I’m not sure what brought you to medicine , how you are still here and why on earth you applied to medical school with such a weak application.
What are you doing now? Are you working in Nutrition/dietetics? Perhaps you should stay there for a few years and enjoy life. After some time you might realize you don’t want medicine or you will realize that your chances for an acceptance are very low. Or you might decide medicine is worth the fight and you start over. Take same time and think it through.
Hey,

Do you feel my app is weak as have tons of community service hrs, provided health education in underserved nations, had three publication, 3-4 years of research exp and had shadowing too?

Hey,

Do you feel my app is weak as have tons of community service hrs, provided health education in underserved nations, had three publication, 3-4 years of research exp and had shadowing too?

First year DO student here. I cannot stress enough how test taking is a crucial skill in med school. If you are not a strong test taker please do something else. Your life will literally revolve around learning huge amounts of material and almost immediately being tested on it. It really sucks and it’s not fair but it is the reality.

If you are still determined to work in the medical field than PA is a good alternative. I was a PA before med school and it can be fulfilling for the right person. PA school is intense but nothing compared to med school. You don’t have to be a rock star test taker to excel in PA school. Just something to consider.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know what my chances are but here were my MCAT scores. Before anyone says anything, I am already doing my Plan B. I have a masters and if DO schools don't pan out, I will be okay. I am applying this cycle and taking my shot. I was "depressed" for years and thought I was dumb that I could not break 500. I remember back in 2013 my uncle telling me that I wasn't studying hard enough for my MCAT. One mentor told me that I will never be cut it for med and that I should never ever take the MCAT again and that it will be a waste of time. As of right now, i'm just barely finishing my secondaries but here are my scores.

If I get IN, I will mentor you til my life depends on it but I cannot promise you that it will be in the time frame you want. For me it took yearssss.

Of course everyone's situation is different. Test anxiety can def get to the worst of you.

4/2015 - 488 (poor choice, should not have taken it, was hoping to get "lucky")
9/2015 - 490 (poor choice, should not have taken it, was hoping to get "lucky")
9/2017 - 491
7/2018 - 496
1/2019 - 495
7/2021- 504

My scores are CRINGY but don't let anyone tell you to quit except for yourself.

Do you believe that Nutrition is an easy major? I thought it was kinda a tough one where we do a ton of case studies, food science, and study medical terminology with advance micro and macro classes. I do not do well on other standardized tests too like SAT but had a perfect GPA many times in my undergrad and was almost 3.8+(3.58 was calculated by med schools).
You will not be admitted into a US medical school with your academic profile. You're an international applicant, so the bar is set quite high, even at the handful of DO programs that take international students. Also, you wouldn't be able to "study for years" and do 20 practice tests prior to the COMLEX or USMLE exams. Given your test-taking history, if you were to matriculate into medical school, you'd likely flunk out.

Have you ever shadowed a podiatrist? If you'd be interested in specializing in the foot/ankle, that would be a more suitable path for you. Otherwise, you could try your hand at the GRE and apply to PA school.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know what my chances are but here were my MCAT scores. Before anyone says anything, I am already doing my Plan B. I have a masters and if DO schools don't pan out, I will be okay. I am applying this cycle and taking my shot. I was "depressed" for years and thought I was dumb that I could not break 500. I remember back in 2013 my uncle telling me that I wasn't studying hard enough for my MCAT. One mentor told me that I will never be cut it for med and that I should never ever take the MCAT again and that it will be a waste of time. As of right now, i'm just barely finishing my secondaries but here are my scores.

If I get IN, I will mentor you til my life depends on it but I cannot promise you that it will be in the time frame you want. For me it took yearssss.

Of course everyone's situation is different. Test anxiety can def get to the worst of you.

4/2015 - 488 (poor choice, should not have taken it, was hoping to get "lucky")
9/2015 - 490 (poor choice, should not have taken it, was hoping to get "lucky")
9/2017 - 491
7/2018 - 496
1/2019 - 495
7/2021- 504

My scores are CRINGY but don't let anyone tell you to quit except for yourself.
Thanks for sharing!

First year DO student here. I cannot stress enough how test taking is a crucial skill in med school. If you are not a strong test taker please do something else. Your life will literally revolve around learning huge amounts of material and almost immediately being tested on it. It really sucks and it’s not fair but it is the reality.

If you are still determined to work in the medical field than PA is a good alternative. I was a PA before med school and it can be fulfilling for the right person. PA school is intense but nothing compared to med school. You don’t have to be a rock star test taker to excel in PA school. Just something to consider.
Actually my test-taking skills are never bad it's just the MCAT that is not happening. Have been 95+ in every test/exam I took in my undergrad and even the ACS chemistry exams in which score a 98.

Actually my test-taking skills are never bad it's just the MCAT that is not happening. Have been 95+ in every test/exam I took in my undergrad and even the ACS chemistry exams in which score a 98.
And what you might not know or are completely ignoring is that doctors take exams for the rest of their lives, starting with the Steps(USMLE) and moving into other Board Exams. So you really need to think about this issue. If you can’t do well on the MCAT you will have issues as you move through your career in medicine. Tests are just part of the deal.

The MCAT and subsequent board exams are very different from the GRE, ACS, or other standardized exams. There's a lot more reading and analysis.