Jul 21, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I posted about my credentials years ago, but things have significantly changed. I am going to be 26 years old next week and have held other jobs besides the ones listed.

Here is an overview of my credentials:

Academic:
MCAT: 28 (10, 9, 9) => retake?
First Bachelor's degree (2010- Philosophy Concentration: Ethics - senior thesis published in school's journal) cGPA (both schools): 3.47; cGPA (1st)
(1st bach = two science classes with a B and B+ and 1 Math class with a B)
Post-Bacc work (2011):
cGPA: 3.78 (2nd degree in Biology)
sGPA: 3.76
Currently enrolled in Microbiology and Advanced Organic Chemistry: Polyfunctional Compounds
1 W from Physics I in the Summer of 2011 due to personal reasons (later took it and got an A in lab and class)
I have worked part-time throughout my entire post bacc experience and, thus, I am a part time student.

Leadership/Education:
Peer leader of Gen Chemistry 1 (2x), Gen Chem 2 (1x), Organic Chemistry II (1x => currently). Each are a semester and consist of me leading a group of students in problems provided by the professor. Total time: 2 yrs. Expect to lead another seminar in the spring
Tutor at a Learning Center (1 year): Privately tutored ACT students and subject tutored (high school/middle school Biology, high school Chemistry, Algebra I/II, Pre-Algebra). Ran the Math floor, which consisted of a group of students anywhere from late elementary school to high school studying math topics.
Private tutor (June, 2013 - Current): Run own business private tutoring in subjects such as college Chemistry, high school Biology, etc.

Volunteer Activities:
Clinic Volunteer: Take vital signs (triage) and find out reason for visit of patients (I am currently having MAJOR problems at this clinic that I detail at this link (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/nontraditional-students.110/)
Domestic Violence Crisis Line volunteer/Admin Assistant/Graphic Designer (April to present => 80 hours): Answered calls from survivors of domestic violence seeking resources, counseling and legal advocacy and gave advice re: safety planning, options/choices, and emotional support. Expanded my involvement to administrative work and education and created pamphlet for organization. Gave talk on my campus about our agency and my own experience. Looking to give presentations at medical schools around Chicago.
Hospital Patient Support Volunteer (Feb - September 2013 => 85 hours): Assisted staff on the floor and provided emotional support to patients.

Shadowing
Ob/Gyn (surgery and office combined): 50 hours
Various specialties:
Neuro - 4 hours
Ortho - 4 hours plus 2 surgeries
Family Medicine: Currently shadowing a DO at a hospital and plan to shadow an MD soon.

Research
Forthcoming. I plan on doing research in Organic Chemistry synthesis. I want to use ionic liquids to make Organic Chemistry reactions more green.

I would like to stay here in Chicago and would really like to go to the University of Chicago, although it seems like a pipe dream with my MCAT score. I am willing to apply to DO schools and out of state schools, though. Am looking for other schools out of the Chicagoland area that are accepting of non-trad students and focus on the whole student and not just grades/MCAT.

So far, my list is:
MD:
U of Chicago (reach)
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
UIC
DO:
Midwestern

Any advice at this point (esp schools) would be helpful as I am planning to apply this cycle as soon as applications open.I would really just like to know if I have any chance at MD. I will go DO, but I would really prefer MD if possible.

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If you're really serious about MD schools, I think a retake of MCAT is called for, with a score >30. For U Chicago, you're going to need a score in the mid to high 30s. You're fine for any DO program. Suggest thinking about MarionCOM, MCW, DMU, OHCOM, AT Still, LMU DeBusk, and the new MD schools in MI.

I posted about my credentials years ago, but things have significantly changed. I am going to be 26 years old next week and have held other jobs besides the ones listed.

Here is an overview of my credentials:

Academic:
MCAT: 28 (10, 9, 9) => retake?
First Bachelor's degree (2010- Philosophy Concentration: Ethics - senior thesis published in school's journal) cGPA: 3.3; two science classes with a B and B+ and 1 Math class with a B
Post-Bacc work (2011): cGPA: 3.78 (2nd degree in Biology)
sGPA: 3.76
Currently enrolled in Microbiology and Advanced Organic Chemistry: Polyfunctional Compounds
1 W from Physics I in the Summer of 2011 due to personal reasons (later took it and got an A in lab and class)
I have worked part-time throughout my entire post bacc experience and, thus, I am a part time student.

Leadership/Education:
Peer leader of Gen Chemistry 1 (2x), Gen Chem 2 (1x), Organic Chemistry II (1x => currently). Each are a semester and consist of me leading a group of students in problems provided by the professor. Total time: 2 yrs. Expect to lead another seminar in the spring
Tutor at a Learning Center (1 year): Privately tutored ACT students and subject tutored (high school/middle school Biology, high school Chemistry, Algebra I/II, Pre-Algebra). Ran the Math floor, which consisted of a group of students anywhere from late elementary school to high school studying math topics.
Private tutor (June, 2013 - Current): Run own business private tutoring in subjects such as college Chemistry, high school Biology, etc.

Volunteer Activities:
Clinic Volunteer: Take vital signs (triage) and find out reason for visit of patients (I am currently having MAJOR problems at this clinic that I detail at this link (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/nontraditional-students.110/)
Domestic Violence Crisis Line volunteer/Admin Assistant/Graphic Designer (April to present => 80 hours): Answered calls from survivors of domestic violence seeking resources, counseling and legal advocacy and gave advice re: safety planning, options/choices, and emotional support. Expanded my involvement to administrative work and education and created pamphlet for organization. Gave talk on my campus about our agency and my own experience. Looking to give presentations at medical schools around Chicago.
Hospital Patient Support Volunteer (Feb - September 2013 => 85 hours): Assisted staff on the floor and provided emotional support to patients.

Shadowing
Ob/Gyn (surgery and office combined): 50 hours
Various specialties:
Neuro - 4 hours
Ortho - 4 hours plus 2 surgeries
Family Medicine: Currently shadowing a DO at a hospital and plan to shadow an MD soon.

Research
Forthcoming. I plan on doing research in Organic Chemistry synthesis. I want to use ionic liquids to make Organic Chemistry reactions more green.

I would like to stay here in Chicago and would really like to go to the University of Chicago, although it seems like a pipe dream with my MCAT score. I am willing to apply to DO schools and out of state schools, though. Am looking for other schools out of the Chicagoland area that are accepting of non-trad students and focus on the whole student and not just grades/MCAT.

So far, my list is:
MD:
U of Chicago (reach)
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
UIC
DO:
Midwestern

Any advice at this point (esp schools) would be helpful as I am planning to apply this cycle as soon as applications open.I would really just like to know if I have any chance at MD. I will go DO, but I would really prefer MD if possible.

Nov 3, 2013
Midwestern, US
What is your overall GPA including undergrad and postbac?

The upward trend is solid, but the MCAT is on the low side for schools in Illinois (and, really, for MD schools in general). You appear to have a good amount/variety of EC's, though, which seem to be the strong suit in your application.

You should check out MSAR. U of Chicago is a reach school stats-wise, but there's nothing wrong with having one of those (I think many on here even recommend having one or two). You definitely want to expand your reach out of state and look at adding several DO schools to that list. Your MCAT isn't so bad for many of those.

OP
S
Jul 21, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
What is your overall GPA including undergrad and postbac?

The upward trend is solid, but the MCAT is on the low side for schools in Illinois (and, really, for MD schools in general). You appear to have a good amount/variety of EC's, though, which seem to be the strong suit in your application.

You should check out MSAR. U of Chicago is a reach school stats-wise, but there's nothing wrong with having one of those (I think many on here even recommend having one or two). You definitely want to expand your reach out of state and look at adding several DO schools to that list. Your MCAT isn't so bad for many of those.
Overall = 3.47

Nov 3, 2013
Midwestern, US
Overall = 3.47
I'm confused since you list two cGPA's above: one at 3.47 and another at 3.78. A 3.47 GPA with a 28 MCAT looks very different to schools than a 3.78/28.

OP
S
Jul 21, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm confused since you list two cGPA's above: one at 3.47 and another at 3.78. A 3.47 GPA with a 28 MCAT looks very different to schools than a 3.78/28.
It depends on what cGPA you are talking about. For both schools added together, it is a 3.47. The 3.78 is the cGPA from the second bachelor's degree, while the cGPA from the 1st bachelor's degree is 3.3.

Aug 6, 2011
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
It depends on what cGPA you are talking about. For both schools added together, it is a 3.47. The 3.78 is the cGPA from the second bachelor's degree, while the cGPA from the 1st bachelor's degree is 3.3.
AMCAS takes all undergraduate courses together, they won't separate your 1st bachelors from your 2nd, so the GPA that will be on your application will be the 3.47

You are good for DO schools and if you retake the MCAT and improve your score you have a shot at MD as well. Your ECs are strong, I would just focus on the MCAT at this point. Best of luck