Medical My chances of getting into med school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I’m a non traditional pre med student. I started college late. I’m a female Hispanic Latina from a guatemala but grew up in Belize. I graduated highschool in 2010. Im a first generation to graduate high-school. I moved 6 years ago to the US to take care of my papaw. My first job here in the US was for Comcast for 2 years as a direct sales person (dood to door sales) then I decided I wanted to pursue my old dream of becoming a doctor and started at a community college because I did not have ACT’s, etc... scores to get straight into a 4 year college.

Fast forward:

I’m 30 now with a Chemical Engineering with Bimolecular Concentration with an overall GPA of 3.91, 525 MCAT (recent) score, 420 Hrs of Volunteering at a Hospital (emergency department and as a certified medical interpreter- spanish) 160 hrs of direct shadowing, 400 hrs of non clinical volunteering and 480 hrs of summer research. The only extracurricular activity I did was in my freshman year- I did the Reserved Officer Training Corps.

I started my own business a few years back. It started as a hobby (making candles, soaps, shampoos) and turned out to be successful. I helped my parents moved to the US and thought them the business structure of it and they now own it and make a living out of it.

I’ve built really good relationships with my professors and Doctors I’ve shadowed and lots of doctors in the hospital.

What are my chances?

Any chance I might get accepted at Harvard Med School?
Chances of getting IIs are outstanding. getting accepted are 100% on you though.
You do need some nonclinical volunteering.

I suggest these schools:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford