My chances of getting into medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUc10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you guys probably get a lot of threads on this one but here's my story.

I did horrible my first semester due to a lack of desire to attend the school I was at, taking Bio, Chem, and Calc while working 30 hours a week, and commuting 2 hours total every day.

Things that would stick out right now on my transcript are that I failed Calc I first semester - which I took again the next semester and got a B.

I got a D in Chemistry first semester - which I took again and got a C+ because of problem with the online homework system the department was using... in reality I should of had a B+ in that class but I lost all credit for online homeworks I did when the system went down.

I should of dropped atleast 1 of those classes first semester, but being a dumb freshman, by the time I realized I should go that route, the drop period had already ended.

I also took Bio my first semester and because I didn't care about it too much I got a C when in reality the class was not difficult at all. Do you recommend I take that class over? I got a B in Bio 102 btw.

Anyway, it's now my fourth semester. I made the decision that I truly did want to go to medical school and that I was going to buckle down so that I could make it a possibility. I took a winter class and got an A. I'm now taking 17 credits and assuming that I don't bomb any finals I will have all A's this semester as well. If it works out as such I will have a 3.2 at the end of this semester.

I realize chances are slim because of my extremely bad start and current low g.p.a. but I still think I have a chance. I'm taking organic chem and physics next semester. I also plan to take the MCATs next summer as well. I've always been a pretty good test taker once I set my mind to it so I think I should be able to pull off a mid 30 level MCAT. I don't intend to get anything less than a B+ for the rest of undergrad studies and I also intend to take some higher level cell bio courses so that it doesn't look like I'm so weak in the sciences.

I was going to apply to medical school for '10 but even if everything goes as planned my g.p.a will only be a 3.5 something when I apply and then a 3.6 something when I graduate. I'm thinking that maybe I should stay an extra semester or two to boost my g.p.a so that I can have atleast a 3.6 at the time of application.

What are my chances of getting into medical school if I stick to what I've said? I realize how limited positions are so it wouldn't be a shocker to me if some think that it isn't feasible. I intend to reevaluate my career decisions based upon how well I do over the next two semesters in Orgo and Physics.

Thanks for any input. Sorry this was so long.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you guys probably get a lot of threads on this one but here's my story.

I did horrible my first semester due to a lack of desire to attend the school I was at, taking Bio, Chem, and Calc while working 30 hours a week, and commuting 2 hours total every day.

Things that would stick out right now on my transcript are that I failed Calc I first semester - which I took again the next semester and got a B.

I got a D in Chemistry first semester - which I took again and got a C+ because of problem with the online homework system the department was using... in reality I should of had a B+ in that class but I lost all credit for online homeworks I did when the system went down.

I should of dropped atleast 1 of those classes first semester, but being a dumb freshman, by the time I realized I should go that route, the drop period had already ended.

I also took Bio my first semester and because I didn't care about it too much I got a C when in reality the class was not difficult at all. Do you recommend I take that class over? I got a B in Bio 102 btw.

Anyway, it's now my fourth semester. I made the decision that I truly did want to go to medical school and that I was going to buckle down so that I could make it a possibility. I took a winter class and got an A. I'm now taking 17 credits and assuming that I don't bomb any finals I will have all A's this semester as well. If it works out as such I will have a 3.2 at the end of this semester.

I realize chances are slim because of my extremely bad start and current low g.p.a. but I still think I have a chance. I'm taking organic chem and physics next semester. I also plan to take the MCATs next summer as well. I've always been a pretty good test taker once I set my mind to it so I think I should be able to pull off a mid 30 level MCAT. I don't intend to get anything less than a B+ for the rest of undergrad studies and I also intend to take some higher level cell bio courses so that it doesn't look like I'm so weak in the sciences.

I was going to apply to medical school for '10 but even if everything goes as planned my g.p.a will only be a 3.5 something when I apply and then a 3.6 something when I graduate. I'm thinking that maybe I should stay an extra semester or two to boost my g.p.a so that I can have atleast a 3.6 at the time of application.

What are my chances of getting into medical school if I stick to what I've said? I realize how limited positions are so it wouldn't be a shocker to me if some think that it isn't feasible. I intend to reevaluate my career decisions based upon how well I do over the next two semesters in Orgo and Physics.

Thanks for any input. Sorry this was so long.

Rock the MCAT, extend college a semester or two, have some interesting ECs and clinical experience and you will be FINE.

Eh, there is a thread for chances.

Also, I don't understand how your GPA could be a 3.2 unless you're not counting the classes you retook. If you're planning on going the M.D. route you have to average the two classes, you can never delete a class.

Also, at most schools there are two sections of intro bio: the bio 101's are usually not worth credit into medical school while higher ones are? Did you take the one that is a pre-req for bio majors or the easier one? Of course, I know nothing about your school I'm just wondering.

Seeing that you failed a class, I'd check out how GPA is actually figured out because with an F and some c's and d's your gpa is probably way lower than a 3.2 after only 4 semesters. My advice is for you to really think about what you'd do to go into medical school. With your current GPA, is it worth attending 4-7 more years of education BEFORE you enter medical school? I guess that heavily depends on if you took out loans or not but I'd really think about it. Also, the fact that you repeated a class and didn't get an A or high B the second time around probably raises some red flags, eh....

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your current GPA, is it worth attending 4-7 more years of education BEFORE you enter medical school?

Wha...? How did you get 4-7 more years of undergrad?

OP, you got a rough start, but you certainly haven't killed your chances yet. Like the other poster said, extend your undergrad by a semester or two, get stellar grades from here on out, do well the MCAT, and you'll be fine.

Rock the MCAT, extend college a semester or two, have some interesting ECs and clinical experience and you will be FINE.
Thanks. I've worked in a hospital for a year now. Unfortunately, the hospital will be closing this summer. Hopefully I can get a job at another that is nearby. My uncle is also a doctor and graduated from UMDNJ and knows a guy that runs the summer program for medical students there and I've spoken with the guy and I could have had a spot but I need this summer free because I'm taking the second portion of General Chem. Hopefully I'll still be able to do it next summer.

Eh, there is a thread for chances.

Also, I don't understand how your GPA could be a 3.2 unless you're not counting the classes you retook. If you're planning on going the M.D. route you have to average the two classes, you can never delete a class.

Also, at most schools there are two sections of intro bio: the bio 101's are usually not worth credit into medical school while higher ones are? Did you take the one that is a pre-req for bio majors or the easier one? Of course, I know nothing about your school I'm just wondering.

Seeing that you failed a class, I'd check out how GPA is actually figured out because with an F and some c's and d's your gpa is probably way lower than a 3.2 after only 4 semesters. My advice is for you to really think about what you'd do to go into medical school. With your current GPA, is it worth attending 4-7 more years of education BEFORE you enter medical school? I guess that heavily depends on if you took out loans or not but I'd really think about it. Also, the fact that you repeated a class and didn't get an A or high B the second time around probably raises some red flags, eh....

Good luck.

Yes, I'm only going by what the school has given me. And notice I also mentioned that the 3.2 g.p.a would be after this semester assuming that I do not bomb any finals. My g.p.a will in fact be lower, being that I will have to average in that failure in Calc and the D in Chem.. So I guess I will have to bring it up even more. My g.p.a. at this time currently is a 2.85.

I also think you misunderstood what I was saying about bio. I took both sections of Bio. 101 & 102. I was saying that I got a C in 101 and a B in 102. I was thinking that I might want to take 101 over again...

I think an extra year of undergrad studies, maybe even 3 extra semesters, won't kill me. If it's really what you want to do then you wouldn't have a problem going through it IMO. I realize the mistakes that I made. Hopefully I can still do something to show that I am deserving of a spot.

If I can't go into medical school I really don't know what I'd do. I really don't have a passion for anything else besides my major of Exercise Physiology and most students in my major are either pre-physical therapy or pre-med. I don't really want to get into therapy but I guess if I have no other options that is what I'll do.

Thanks. I've worked in a hospital for a year now. Unfortunately, the hospital will be closing this summer. Hopefully I can get a job at another that is nearby. My uncle is also a doctor and graduated from UMDNJ and knows a guy that runs the summer program for medical students there and I've spoken with the guy and I could have had a spot but I need this summer free because I'm taking the second portion of General Chem. Hopefully I'll still be able to do it next summer.

Yes, I'm only going by what the school has given me. And notice I also mentioned that the 3.2 g.p.a would be after this semester assuming that I do not bomb any finals. My g.p.a will in fact be lower, being that I will have to average in that failure in Calc and the D in Chem.. So I guess I will have to bring it up even more. My g.p.a. at this time currently is a 2.85.

I also think you misunderstood what I was saying about bio. I took both sections of Bio. 101 & 102. I was saying that I got a C in 101 and a B in 102. I was thinking that I might want to take 101 over again...

I think an extra year of undergrad studies, maybe even 3 extra semesters, won't kill me. If it's really what you want to do then you wouldn't have a problem going through it IMO. I realize the mistakes that I made. Hopefully I can still do something to show that I am deserving of a spot.

If I can't go into medical school I really don't know what I'd do. I really don't have a passion for anything else besides my major of Exercise Physiology and most students in my major are either pre-physical therapy or pre-med. I don't really want to get into therapy but I guess if I have no other options that is what I'll do.

I think what he meant when he said med schools might not accept the bio 101/102 is that some ugrad schools have introductory bio for both science and non-science majors. bio 101/102 is for non-science students at my school at least, but I'm not familiar with how med schools look at this.

since your gpa is certainly going to be an obstacle, you might consider a post-bacc. Check out the post-bacc forum for more info

I think what he meant when he said med schools might not accept the bio 101/102 is that some ugrad schools have introductory bio for both science and non-science majors. bio 101/102 is for non-science students at my school at least, but I'm not familiar with how med schools look at this.

since your gpa is certainly going to be an obstacle, you might consider a post-bacc. Check out the post-bacc forum for more info
This poster sums up my point. My 4-7 years came from the idea that you'll probably need to do a post-bacc or SMP, along with another couple semesters in undergrad. 2.85 is a pretty low GPA, most people think around a 3.5 is competitive. Also, you need to be concerned with your science GPA, while is around what, a 2.4? You need to calculate what you'll need grade wise and how much time it will take to get above a 3.2 for the cum. GPA.

Also, don't assume you'll rock the MCAT. If you're serious about medical school, odds are you'll need to take tons more science classes and at some point study for the MCAT while doing so. Also, you need clinical experience and/or physician shadowing ahead of you.

Oh ok I see. My school does have some bio classes for non-science majors as well as an introductory biology class for science/non-science majors but that is not what I took. I took the two semesters of bio with lab that I'm fairly certain will be accepted at any medical school. Thanks, I checked it out. I actually thought about grad school as an option. I wasn't sure if that would hurt my chances at getting in though. I guess not.

This poster sums up my point. My 4-7 years came from the idea that you'll probably need to do a post-bacc or SMP, along with another couple semesters in undergrad. 2.85 is a pretty low GPA, most people think around a 3.5 is competitive. Also, you need to be concerned with your science GPA, while is around what, a 2.4? You need to calculate what you'll need grade wise and how much time it will take to get above a 3.2 for the cum. GPA.

Also, don't assume you'll rock the MCAT. If you're serious about medical school, odds are you'll need to take tons more science classes and at some point study for the MCAT while doing so. Also, you need clinical experience and/or physician shadowing ahead of you.
2.85 is from 3 semesters of school. It is so low because of my first semester. Last fall I took 16 credits and my g.p.a was above a 3.2 with my only grade less than a B+ being in the Chem class that I took over.

After my first semester I've only gotten 2 grades lower than a B. That second Chem class a C+, and a Spanish class that I got a C in. There's no doubt in my mind that I will graduate with above a 3.5, my problem is that the shortest amount of time that I could achieve a 3.5 would be the fall of my senior year. This could be a problem because people say that you should apply to medical school right before this time.. at which time my g.p.a wouldn't be a 3.5 yet. However, I was thinking of applying the summer after my senior year. This way I can take another year of undergrad courses so that I don't have to cram in courses for my major while focusing on sciences and it also allows me to have a higher g.p.a. at the time of application. The only thing I was worried about is if medical schools would look down upon me applying with an MCAT from the year before application.

I'm just being somewhat optimistic about the MCAT scores. I intend to take them next august. I'm taking Orgo and physics over the next two semesters and I plan on taking a genetics course during the first term of summer classes of 09. I'll also be taking a review course and definitely a Bio refresher course. So my whole summer from May-August will be dedicated to reviewing for the MCATs. Hopefully I'll do well. Otherwise... :(

"Grades and credit hours for all failed courses will be included in the AMCAS
GPA, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-
issuing institution." Page 7, last line.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2009instructionmanual.pdf
You need to look at that. Is 3.2 your GPA given to you by your college? Your institution GPA doesn't matter, the AAMC will recalculate your GPA when you send them all your transcripts. Are you replacing your first chem and calc I grades? Retaking that chem class really hurt you, because now you have a D and a C+ in the same class and they both count towards your aamc GPA. I'd read over that link, it's super helpful. I know I keep brining up your GPA but it will really determine how long you need to stay in school in order to be competitive. Remember, DO schools DON'T average your grades when you apply but MD schools do.

"Grades and credit hours for all failed courses will be included in the AMCAS
GPA, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-
issuing institution." Page 7, last line.
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/amcas2009instructionmanual.pdf
You need to look at that. Is 3.2 your GPA given to you by your college? Your institution GPA doesn't matter, the AAMC will recalculate your GPA when you send them all your transcripts. Are you replacing your first chem and calc I grades? Retaking that chem class really hurt you, because now you have a D and a C+ in the same class and they both count towards your aamc GPA. I'd read over that link, it's super helpful. I know I keep brining up your GPA but it will really determine how long you need to stay in school in order to be competitive. Remember, DO schools DON'T average your grades when you apply but MD schools do.

I understood what you were saying but I was just going by my institutional g.p.a. for now. When sites such as princetonreview and collegeboard list the average undergrad g.p.a. for medical schools I'm assuming that would be the institutional g.p.a.

I read what you are talking about before but I never did the calculations. I just went over it to see the extent of the damage those 2 classes will do as you mentioned... and it will hurt, a lot. At the end of this semester though my school given g.p.a. will be a 3.2, by medical school standards it would be a 2.9. That does make it a lot tougher to bring my g.p.a. to a level at which I'll have a decent chance at being admitted. I guess we'll see in the long run. I have to read up more on DO schools and see if it's a good alternative.

Thanks

Yep, none of the listed "Average" gpas are the grades assigned by the colleges. I would buy some books about getting into med school. Kaplan has a nice one. DO routes would be a great choice because then you're GPA would be your college GPA. Again, I wouldn't retake that one bio. Get into some upper level bio classes and smoke them. You'll be wasting less time and trying to earn a degree instead of retaking classes youve already done.

The only thing I would add is a reminder that you'll likely be asked to explain any less-than-stellar grades in a medical school admissions interview. I would try to rephrase what you've written here. I am by no means dismissing your circumstances, since I have dealt with similar problems and know how difficult it is. Just remember there is a very fine line between explaining and making excuses. Think about everything from the admissions' point of view and be sure to take full responsibility for what happened. Good luck :)