my chances? PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dolphinstar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
mcat: 28 (P:8, V:11, B: 9). writing M
sGPA: 3.5
non sGPA: 3.92
cGPA: 3.67
resident of TX
good Extracurricular activities, leadership, volunteer

what are my chances of getting in tx MD school and/or DO school (TCOM)? any suggestions for out of state md/do schools to apply to? looking for advice on how to improve my chances. working on my app right now. thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

mcat: 28 (P:8, V:11, B: 9). writing M
sGPA: 3.5
non sGPA: 3.92
cGPA: 3.67
resident of TX
good Extracurricular activities, leadership, volunteer

what are my chances of getting in tx MD school and/or DO school (TCOM)? any suggestions for out of state md/do schools to apply to? looking for advice on how to improve my chances. working on my app right now. thanks! :)

You are a great applicant for more or less any DO school. Just note that some of them require a DO LOR.

I think you have a shot at TX MD as well - not Baylor, but the UT system. You should be reasonably competitive at schools like A&M and Southwestern. Do your ECs include shadowing and/or research? If no to both, then I'd go get some shadowing done asap.

For OOS MD schools, you could consider Tulane, Albany, NYMC, Drexel, EVMS, VCU, UIllinois, Jefferson, Temple, and Creighton.

You'll be below the numbers at almost all of them, but not way outta line.

You are a great applicant for more or less any DO school. Just note that some of them require a DO LOR.

I think you have a shot at TX MD as well - not Baylor, but the UT system. You should be reasonably competitive at schools like A&M and Southwestern. Do your ECs include shadowing and/or research? If no to both, then I'd go get some shadowing done asap.

For OOS MD schools, you could consider Tulane, Albany, NYMC, Drexel, EVMS, VCU, UIllinois, Jefferson, Temple, and Creighton.

You'll be below the numbers at almost all of them, but not way outta line.

Baylor and UTSW are nearly identical in terms of avg MCAT and GPA means. I'd place them on the same tier. The only difference between the 2 is the quota of residents required. If I were the OP, I'd still apply to UTSW, because you might as well exhaust your state schools. But, I would consider UTSW and Baylor solid reaches for the OP.

Baylor and UTSW are nearly identical in terms of avg MCAT and GPA means. I'd place them on the same tier. The only difference between the 2 is the quota of residents required. If I were the OP, I'd still apply to UTSW, because you might as well exhaust your state schools. But, I would consider UTSW and Baylor solid reaches for the OP.

Errr thanks. I meant Houston. I am so bad with TMDSAS haha. Good thing you are around! And by the way, someone was asking about schools in the south. If you search for posts by me that have 'canjosh' you'll find it.