My chances so far? Philosophy major, low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a junior right now at a well known school. I want to know if what I have done so far is alright:

I have a 3.3 overall gpa, and my science gpa is about that as well. Everything has been with an upward trend. I started out kind of shaky, but have been getting more A's lately.

I have a 4.0 gpa in my major, which is philosophy. I hope to complete an honors thesis in philosophy, which would give me a BA, w/ honors.

I studied abroad last semester and lived in England for 6 months. Got A's while there.

Volunteering/experience:
I have just started volunteering at a hospital close to campus, volunteering among sick children. In my junior year of HS, I started volunteering at a nursing home near my house, where I clocked in about 300 hours.

I volunteered with patients that have Parkinson's Disease, and I am certified to administer lsvt, a speech therapy program which helps Parkinson's patients regain their amplified voices.

Just started shadowing a doctor -- very specialized.. in gynecological oncology, which is personally very important to me (see * below).

I have fund raised for World Vision (hunger awareness) and nat'l MS society, which holds an annual walk for MS.

Leadership:
I received a "excellence in community service award" by my uni, for my work with Parkinson's disease patients.

I was also a finalist in my university's "big give project" for a religious tolerance project that I created.

As a avid photographer, I was nationally recognized by a fine arts festival in senior yr of HS.

I have also just started becoming the editor of a major magazine on campus.

*As far as my personal story, my mother has been afflicted with cancer since I was young.... causing me to become homeschooled, before I hit HS, so I could take care of my younger siblings. Being tutored at home was very different, and then being thrown into a major university alone at 18 was even more different... so (I think understandably) my grades did suffer earlier on (C in gen chem 1, even a C in intro to psych!). Once I found my niche at uni, I was more comfortable, (philosophy may have helped).

Also, I have worked ~25 hours a week for three years at the same job, at a major department store, as a commissioned sales person. It pays very well for a retail job, and I have been unable to leave it, because of my financial situation... low income family.

EDIT: Not sure if this helps or hurts, but I am a NY state resident. Can you explain how this helps or hurts!?

What are my chances right now, even though it is early?
And second, what are my chances if....
I bring my gpa up to a 3.5, add more clinical experience, including internships...and some research.

Pending:
A study abroad summer in China, learning Mandarin
Sociology research on the subcultures of my campus (founder)
Part-time work at a hospital

What else can I add to strengthen my application in the future? I want to wait until 2015 to take the MCAT... will graduating a year late (2015) help me or hurt me, if I want to stay extra to both research and raise my gpa?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

ECs seem good. Focus on gpa and MCAT. Great DO odds, decent MD odds if you can get to 3.5.

Hi. I am a junior right now at a well known school. I want to know if what I have done so far is alright:

I have a 3.3 overall gpa, and my science gpa is about that as well. Everything has been with an upward trend. I started out kind of shaky, but have been getting more A's lately.

I have a 4.0 gpa in my major, which is philosophy. I hope to complete an honors thesis in philosophy, which would give me a BA, w/ honors.

I studied abroad last semester and lived in England for 6 months. Got A's while there.

Volunteering/experience:
I have just started volunteering at a hospital close to campus, volunteering among sick children. In my junior year of HS, I started volunteering at a nursing home near my house, where I clocked in about 300 hours.

I volunteered with patients that have Parkinson's Disease, and I am certified to administer lsvt, a speech therapy program which helps Parkinson's patients regain their amplified voices.

Just started shadowing a doctor -- very specialized.. in gynecological oncology, which is personally very important to me (see * below).

I have fund raised for World Vision (hunger awareness) and nat'l MS society, which holds an annual walk for MS.

Leadership:
I received a "excellence in community service award" by my uni, for my work with Parkinson's disease patients.

I was also a finalist in my university's "big give project" for a religious tolerance project that I created.

As a avid photographer, I was nationally recognized by a fine arts festival in senior yr of HS.

I have also just started becoming the editor of a major magazine on campus.

*As far as my personal story, my mother has been afflicted with cancer since I was young.... causing me to become homeschooled, before I hit HS, so I could take care of my younger siblings. Being tutored at home was very different, and then being thrown into a major university alone at 18 was even more different... so (I think understandably) my grades did suffer earlier on (C in gen chem 1, even a C in intro to psych!). Once I found my niche at uni, I was more comfortable, (philosophy may have helped).

Also, I have worked ~25 hours a week for three years at the same job, at a major department store, as a commissioned sales person. It pays very well for a retail job, and I have been unable to leave it, because of my financial situation... low income family.

EDIT: Not sure if this helps or hurts, but I am a NY state resident. Can you explain how this helps or hurts!?

I bring my gpa up to a 3.5, add more clinical experience, including internships...and some research.

Pending:

What else can I add to strengthen my application in the future? I want to wait until 2015 to take the MCAT... will graduating a year late (2015) help me or hurt me, if I want to stay extra to both research and raise my gpa?
I think your application (EC-wise) will be fine provided you don't overextend yourself and let your grades take a dive. Maybe cut back a bit on your activities to be sure that doesn't happen, as maintaining your upward grade trend is important and your first priority.

I think that your clinical experience is fine now. And "research" provided it is hypothesis-based and not a lit search regurgitation, need not be in the hard sciences to make your application stronger. But staying an extra year to further boost your GPA, especially if you prefer an MD school, is a fine idea.

Graduating a year later will have no negative impact.

A's are good. Your GPAs are not very competetive, except, perhaps are the lowest of the low-tier MD schools. You're competetive for all DO schools.

I have a 4.0 gpa in my major, which is philosophy. I hope to complete an honors thesis in philosophy, which would give me a BA, w/ honors..

If you can get your GPA up to 3.6, then it helps with the SUNYs. I don't know if there's an in-state preference for the private NY schools. It will hurt for most non-NY public MD schools, which have a vested interest in selecting in-state residents.

See above. Naturally, without an MCAT schore, it's really academic at this point. You definitely need more shadowing experience to see what you're getting into.

Looks good!
Pending:

You have a unique story already, I'd go with that. If anything, I personally like things that show off your altruism. So Habitat for Humanity might be a good thing.

What else can I add to strengthen my application in the future? Graduating later won't hurt.

I want to wait until 2015 to take the MCAT... will graduating a year late (2015) help me or hurt me, if I want to stay extra to both research and raise my gpa?

Thank you so much![/QUOTE]