My chances? Texas medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicem2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m want real honesty about my chances of getting in to the Texas medical schools, so here’s my life in a short excerpt!

I’m a Texas resident! (Yay)
MCAT: 503 and 506 retake
GPA: 3.93 science 3.94 all (Baylor grad)
Research: currently work at MD Anderson (~1000 hours of research by next august)
Volunteering: a few hundred hours total (not much, I know)
Work: I’ve been working since I was 16 so well over 1000 hours of working (administrative work, restaurant server, and now research assistant)
Shadowing: over 100 hours with shadowing my current PI who doubles as an oncologist
Leadership: I tutored at Baylor for a year and have continued being a tutor for chemistry and biology. Prior to college, I have tutored 5th-10th grade in math and science for about 6 years now
Interesting things: I’ve been a drag racer since I was 8 years old

I am a reapplicant (submitted last year in September due to MCAT retake) I submitted my application this cycle on 5/6 with TMDSAS processing complete on 6/1 most secondaries completed around 6/5 (UTMB and UH completed around 6/15).

I’m going crazy over here wondering if I’ll get any interviews, since I heard anything so far :(

Members don't see this ad.

Apply AACOMAS

Reactions: 1 users
yes, would definitely think of applying to osteopathic schools as a backup.

If you are not in the underrepresented minority, may be tough again this year for MD interview, with MCAT 506.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, it's unclear if tutoring is considered leadership. If you're organizing/coordinating other tutors such as in a head TA position then yes that's leadership, but if you're just teaching a kid the multiplication tables it's not really considered leadership. Obviously your experience is going to fall somewhere in between, but just be aware of that. It would be nice if you had some leadership from your jobs even if it is just training new hires or doing some delegation as a senior member of the team, for example.

Hi everyone! I’m want real honesty about my chances of getting in to the Texas medical schools, so here’s my life in a short excerpt!

I’m a Texas resident! (Yay)
MCAT: 503 and 506 retake
GPA: 3.93 science 3.94 all (Baylor grad)
Research: currently work at MD Anderson (~1000 hours of research by next august)
Volunteering: a few hundred hours total (not much, I know)
Work: I’ve been working since I was 16 so well over 1000 hours of working (administrative work, restaurant server, and now research assistant)
Shadowing: over 100 hours with shadowing my current PI who doubles as an oncologist
Leadership: I tutored at Baylor for a year and have continued being a tutor for chemistry and biology. Prior to college, I have tutored 5th-10th grade in math and science for about 6 years now
Interesting things: I’ve been a drag racer since I was 8 years old

I am a reapplicant (submitted last year in September due to MCAT retake) I submitted my application this cycle on 5/6 with TMDSAS processing complete on 6/1 most secondaries completed around 6/5 (UTMB and UH completed around 6/15).

I’m going crazy over here wondering if I’ll get any interviews, since I heard anything so far :(
You have an admirable GPA and you submitted nice and early this year. I would expect you to get some interviews this time!

You should receive interviews from your Texas MD schools. Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
Touro-NY
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
ACOM

Also, it's unclear if tutoring is considered leadership. If you're organizing/coordinating other tutors such as in a head TA position then yes that's leadership, but if you're just teaching a kid the multiplication tables it's not really considered leadership. Obviously your experience is going to fall somewhere in between, but just be aware of that. It would be nice if you had some leadership from your jobs even if it is just training new hires or doing some delegation as a senior member of the team, for example.
I was a supplemental instructor for biochemistry
I worked with other instructors as well to ensure the best way to lead my classes towards success :)

I was a supplemental instructor for biochemistry
I worked with other instructors as well to ensure the best way to lead my classes towards success :)
As for the leadership within jobs, I wonder if being shift leaders for serving would count? Basically teaching new hires how everything works in our restaurant and ensuring all of the checkout stuff is done for closing/opening ‍♀️

yes, would definitely think of applying to osteopathic schools as a backup.

If you are not in the underrepresented minority, may be tough again this year for MD interview, with MCAT 506.
Im not 100% sure what underrepresented fully entails? Is that just race and socioeconomic background?
I’m a first generation college student, but I’m not sure if that is considered under represented

As for the leadership within jobs, I wonder if being shift leaders for serving would count? Basically teaching new hires how everything works in our restaurant and ensuring all of the checkout stuff is done for closing/opening ‍♀

YEah, I'd say that counts

Im not 100% sure what underrepresented fully entails? Is that just race and socioeconomic background?
I’m a first generation college student, but I’m not sure if that is considered under represented

yes, that will help. Will improve your chances of interviews at Texas schools.

Might help—probably not. Most schools consider URM as Latin American or African American (maybe some smaller countries in Asia). Low SES is another category, but it’s definitely looked at.

Definitely apply DO since this is your second time. Faha’s list looks great.

does anyone know if I’m considered “late” for DO applications?? With COVID and everything I’m not sure if the timeline is similar to before

does anyone know if I’m considered “late” for DO applications?? With COVID and everything I’m not sure if the timeline is similar to before
Nah. Even with MD schools, you weren’t considered very “late” until after labor day, and the timeline certainly wouldn’t move up with Covid. If anything, it would move back. Plus, DO schools have always been on a different timeline than their MD counterparts. Many schools give just as much consideration to their post-Thanksgiving applicants as their August applicants. Just apply to the schools suggested and try to submit ASAP. I would say you should be good if you can get secondaries in by October.

Got my first II today (Texas Tech)!! Thanks everyone for your constructive criticism and advice!!

I just got accepted to Texas A&M!!!!!
To other students who have similar stats and circumstances, don’t give up on your hope!!! Blessings come when you least expect it!

Reactions: 4 users