My chances? ...Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Redacted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You seem pretty solid for leadership, teaching, and community service. The shadowing, which is considered a passive observership, is great. Are you planning on a research experience? It's not clear if you are a TA or researcher in the biomechanics lab, if the former, look for a lab for this summer or next fall that you can continue with for the next 1-2 years. Also, how will you be acquiring your clinical experience (active involvement with sick people)? It's time to get that started.

Your projected cGPA is right at the median of acceptees to US allopathic med schools. So, theoretically, you'd be fine with an MCAT socre of 31+, but higher gets you more choices. The Rhode Island in-state school, Brown, is fairly selective, with median stats for those accepted of 3.8/35. More than half of its class is filled with its BS/MD students, so you can't depend on an acceptance there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing is not considered clinical experience.

No, you don't have to volunteer in a hospital. You can gain clinical experience through the workplace, for class credit, or via clinical research instead. You can get this in a free, family-planning, or private clinic, hospice, hospital, VA, residential home, rehabilitation facility, nursing home, or as a first responder, among others.

I was always under the impression that shadowing is considered clinical experience, but maybe I'm wrong. As for your shadowing experiences, they are fine but it would be in your best interest to shadow another physician in a specialty other than family med to show you've seen primary care and a specialty. I don't think they will care about shadowing a dentist. I honestly wouldn't even put that on my app because many interviewers want to see why you want to go into medicine. They'll probably be like, "so I see you dedicated the same amount of time shadowing a dentist as you did a family med physician, why don't you apply to dental school?" Just like if they ask why you want to go into medicine and you say, "I want to help people," they will say to go to nursing school.

Last edited: