My Chances & Where to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lancepharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Ontario, Canada with a BSc in Biology (2007) and will finish a coursework Master's in Health Sciences in 2009.

My BSc avg. is 3.1 :( I am retaking Orgo1&2, Anatomy, Biochem, Physio 1 in 2008-2009 (currently)....and earning A's this time around rather than C's.....I'm also taking other pre-reqs like Econ

My grad GPA is 3.8

My PCAT is
Reading: 80
Verbal: 85
Chem: 84
Math: 98
Bio: 88
Composite: 94

I have a lot of diff. experiences & extra-curriculars, but no pharmacy experience.

I am looking to apply to U.S. Pharm Schools. Can you guys advise me on a) my chances and b) which schools I might be able to get into?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to University of Southern Nevada - they dont require too many prerequisites and admission is mostly based on GPA - the higher the better. experience not really looked at
GL

My GPA isn't high (It's 3.1)

HELLO? ANYONE?!?!?! Can someone pls give me some advice?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Ontario, Canada with a BSc in Biology (2007) and will finish a coursework Master's in Health Sciences in 2009.

My BSc avg. is 3.1 :( I am retaking Orgo1&2, Anatomy, Biochem, Physio 1 in 2008-2009 (currently)....and earning A's this time around rather than C's.....I'm also taking other pre-reqs like Econ

My grad GPA is 3.8

My PCAT is
Reading: 80
Verbal: 85
Chem: 84
Math: 98
Bio: 88
Composite: 94

I have a lot of diff. experiences & extra-curriculars, but no pharmacy experience.

I am looking to apply to U.S. Pharm Schools. Can you guys advise me on a) my chances and b) which schools I might be able to get into?

YOu have chances ofcourse... I think you should look up schools that meets your criteria and call up schools which gpa they look at overall or the grad? Just don't limit yourself to few schools.

200 views and 1 response?

Let me be the first to state the obvious. Yes your original GPA is a little low, but it's well above the customary 2.8 min. for most schools so you fine there. You have a great PCAT score and even have an upper level degree. My advice is: apply anywhere you want to. You have a good shot anywhere. As long as you don't tell the adcom's to go **** themselves in your interview you should be fine.

*If your a chick try showing your boobs and wearing a really short skirt. haha. there you go your all set now right.

*If your a chick try showing your boobs and wearing a really short skirt. haha. there you go your all set now right.

best peice of advice you will ever hear :thumbup: it'll make you look more "well rounded", wait what...

You should consider applying to the University of Michigan. We take a couple people from Canadia every year I think, and the admissions office is well aware of canadian university grade depression (or at least that's my impression).

You should consider applying to the University of Michigan. We take a couple people from Canadia every year I think, and the admissions office is well aware of canadian university grade depression (or at least that's my impression).

last time I checkd (5 seconds ago), there was no mention of internationals, http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolmichiganpage.htm so I'm pretty sure they don't take internationals, can I be wrong? of course not

I think ~4 people in our class are internationals (and by that I mean they don't have US citizenship)

I think ~4 people in our class are internationals (and by that I mean they don't have US citizenship)

Then they MUST have a greencard, you don't need a US citizenship to dodge the international bullet.

And man, being international just sucks so bad, I'd need more colourful language to describe it.

Last edited:
They can just have a school visa. You need a greencard to get student aid though.

Members don't see this ad :)
They can just have a school visa. You need a greencard to get student aid though.

if they take internationals, why does it not say anything on PharmCas? do you have any link?

I hate to belabour this folks, but can anyone out there think of some schools which I may have a decent shot at (assume I have the pre-reqs).

So far, 1 school: UMichigan.

No need to argue with one another either, I need all the help I can get at the moment.

I hate to belabour this folks, but can anyone out there think of some schools which I may have a decent shot at (assume I have the pre-reqs).

So far, 1 school: UMichigan.

No need to argue with one another either, I need all the help I can get at the moment.
y not wayne state?

I will apply there, but their average GPA is 3.6. My GPA is 3.1.

I need schools which favor the PCAT over GPA

look through pharmcas, not even half the schools take internationals

also don't forget some schools aren't covered by pharmcas

and being international, you will have to give them a really good reason why they will want to take a student for which they will recieve no funding, you will be shown no mercy

look through pharmcas, not even half the schools take internationals

also don't forget some schools aren't covered by pharmcas

and being international, you will have to give them a really good reason why they will want to take a student for which they will recieve no funding, you will be shown no mercy

Few things:
)I have looked through pharmcas. more than 50% do take int'l students.

2) Many private schools don't distinguish.

3) Re: funding: Private schools- all students (in state, out of state, int'l) pay the same tuition. state schools- in state students pay in state fees & out of state american students/int'l students pay full fee. pharmacy schools don't "make" or "lose" money based on where the student is from. they get their full fees in the end, no matter what.

4) Why do you talk about how much it sucks to be an international student in every post, especially ones like this where my question had little to do with that?

5) Can others offer me some strong suggestions of where to apply with a lot of academic background (Master's + BSc) and good PCAT but bad GPA?

4) Why do you talk about how much it sucks to be an international student in every post, especially ones like this where my question had little to do with that?

well, when you get rejected and the person who has half a grade below your gpa gets in, maybe then you'll understand

note this has not happened to me but either way it dosen't make the point any less relevent

im just giving you the heads up brah, as a fellow Canadian

but you are right about the private schools, im pretty sure they care more about how much money you have

EDIT: BTW your chances are looking extremely good because of your PCAT score, I'd say you have a decent shot almost anywhere.

I think the OP would have a great chance for acceptance this cycle. Many applicants haven't even taken the PCAT yet and some schools haven't even started reviewing apps. I'm not sure why someone would say wait till next year especially when you have a great graduate GPA?

I second that. It is NOT too late...many people apply literally days before the deadlines. I'd say anytime before Nov. 1 is still early.