My chances with a C in Anatomy and Phys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vobs56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall gpa is a 3.31 but my pre-requisite gpa is a 3.0. However, I have 3 more pre-req courses to go this fall semester to try and raise my pre-req gpa. My main concern is my C grade in Anatomy and Physiology II. I received a B in Anatomy and Phys I. Realistically, what are my chances at getting into OT school? Are there any particular schools I should be looking into? I changed my major from english/pre-law to kinesiology after my sophomore year so I am already going into my 5th year of undergrad (my final year) so I do not have the convenience of retaking A&P II...

Members don't see this ad.

Takean extra semester and retake the course, even if it is at a community college. Most OT programs require at least a B or B- and a C will hurt your overall GPA. Even though I got a B- in A&P I it disqualified me from even applying to several programs.

Anatomy&Physiology is one of the most crucial courses programs look at. Since it is considered the "fundamentals" of the medical field(i.e. learning about the muscular and skeletal systems,etc), it is highly recommended that you receive a minimum of at least B in it. I would advise you to retake the course. Note that i said "most" programs, you can apply with that grade and may actually still get an interview, regardless, i wouldn't take any chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might get in but how will that help you later you will have a harder time in your MOT with a C and esp if you are not understanding the basic fundamentals. I got an A back in Anatomy and can say I still struggle with range of motion and movements and I forgot a lot of the muscles and we use it all the time in my MOT assignments it's expected you already know it as soon as you start the MOT and we didnt' go over range of motions or Kinesiology so to say in my bachelors it's been extra outside study to catch up ( I had to get a kinesiology book off amazon just so i could play catch up) and just so you know integrated anatomy and neuroscience are difficult classes. My second week in my MOT we did a whole 2 assignments on range of motions, movements, medical terminology, and anatomy and nothing was covered in class it was a homework assignement and I was having a difficult time yet I did a good job with a lot of extra work we are expected to know it...you don't want to feel that way and that is with an A in all science but if I hadn't had the A I do feel I would of failed!

Last edited:
You might get in but how will that help you later you will have a harder time in your MOT with a C and esp if you are not understanding the basic fundamentals. I got an A back in Anatomy and can say I still struggle with range of motion and movements and I forgot a lot of the muscles and we use it all the time in my MOT assignments it's expected you already know it as soon as you start the MOT and we didnt' go over range of motions or Kinesiology so to say in my bachelors it's been extra outside study to catch up ( I had to get a kinesiology book off amazon just so i could play catch up) and just so you know integrated anatomy and neuroscience are difficult classes. My second week in my MOT we did a whole 2 assignments on range of motions, movements, medical terminology, and anatomy and nothing was covered in class it was a homework assignement and I was having a difficult time yet I did a good job with a lot of extra work we are expected to know it...you don't want to feel that way and that is with an A in all science but if I hadn't had the A I do feel I would of failed!

I am not necessarily lost. It's more so the structure of the course. I have absolutely no problem with the anatomy. I know almost all of the structures by heart as I have covered them repeated in my kinesiology classes. The bigger issue was the structure of the tests, the trick questions and the extensive physiology portions. If it were not for my A's on the anatomy-based lab practicals I would have scored on the lower-end of a C and not closer to the B-C range which is where I ended up at a 77% for the course.

Well the test only get harder structure is still gonna be there...at the end of the day you have to pass the test and come out the class with a A or high B (maybe)! So if it's structure than that sounds like an area to work on that really doesn't change test always have structure and trick questions there gonna be looking at your grade so no matter how much you say you know all of it the grade will be the determined factor a 77 won't cut it in the program might get in might not but in the program itself it's considered low remember you have to keep a 3.0 (that could put you on probation). I also suggest medical terminology our first week we had a test on that it was expected to know it I was literal zooming thru flashcards playing catch up it wasn't a requirement of the program nor had I taken it in my bachelors so you never know what's gonna happen when you get there... Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
I had C's in both courses and I was admitted to a program. Make sure your other grades are high- hopefully all A's. Also, volunteer a lot. Luckily, everything does not depend on grades, as I was working full time (and over time) while taking each of my pre-reqs and it was hard to devote as much time and energy to everything. However, I am expecting the Anat/Physio classes to be very difficult in grad school, so I have begun reading my textbooks over.

I would suggest that you try to apply while also trying to get back into those classes to re-take them for higher grades (I know how hard it is to get into those classes, though). If you get into a program, do a lot of reviewing in the months before you start.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I had C's in both courses and I was admitted to a program. Make sure your other grades are high- hopefully all A's. Also, volunteer a lot. Luckily, everything does not depend on grades, as I was working full time (and over time) while taking each of my pre-reqs and it was hard to devote as much time and energy to everything. However, I am expecting the Anat/Physio classes to be very difficult in grad school, so I have begun reading my textbooks over.

I would suggest that you try to apply while also trying to get back into those classes to re-take them for higher grades (I know how hard it is to get into those classes, though). If you get into a program, do a lot of reviewing in the months before you start.

Best of luck to you!
this was reassuring to hear I got a's in all my prereqs but anatomy. what school did you apply to?