my chances with a W in O-Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meso compound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only wondering if I could still make it to medical school with a W in my first semester of O-Chem, I am taking the class again this semester and I think I will get a B or a B+... There is no way for me to get an A in this class.. My cGPA is 3.8 and my sGPA is also 3.8, this is my only W and will definately not drop a class again!! I just dropped after my advisor told me that medical schools prefer to see a W rather than a C!!! is that true ?? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't look good. W's are worse then E's it shows that you gave up. I'm going to say you need to start looking up Carib med.

Jk, your fine don't worry about it.:smuggrin: Btw nice gpa very nice.

First of all, a W or a C will not keep you out of any medical school. Your GPA is great. Most likely it will not even be commented on during interviews, but if it is or you need to explain it in a secondary essay, make sure you can explain why you withdrew. Stop worrying about the W and focus on keeping your grades up. You will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only wondering if I could still make it to medical school with a W in my first semester of O-Chem, I am taking the class again this semester and I think I will get a B or a B+... There is no way for me to get an A in this class.. My cGPA is 3.8 and my sGPA is also 3.8, this is my only W and will definately not drop a class again!! I just dropped after my advisor told me that medical schools prefer to see a W rather than a C!!! is that true ?? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Well, I can't say whether med schools prefer to see the W or the C but I can say that it won't matter. I know of many people from my UG that either withdrew or got grades less than a B in O-chem and had GPAs less than yours (cum and sci) and still got accepted to multiple med schools and they were great schools too. In fact, most students from my UG had more than one W and at least one C in a class and still did fine. It won't matter as long as it's not a negative trend that adcoms see throughout your application.

Having a C or a W wouldn't matter, but it takes like four As with the same credits to redeem any C back to the competitive range (3.6). The bad impression left by getting a C in the first course of a prerequisite series can be overturned if you get an A in the second course.