MD & DO My Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KRA13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a white male Junior at Rutgers University New Brunswick in the School of Arts and Sciences Honors Program and am planning to graduate with majors in Exercise Science and Sport Studies (Exercise Science option), Biology, and Nutritional Sciences. I am planning to apply to MD and DO schools this cycle, and would like some feedback. (I prefer MD- so should I only apply to MDs and then apply to DOs next cycle if I don't get in?) (What about SMPs? I know my GPA is low :(
I have a 3.44 cGPA, hopefully 3.5 by the end of this semester, and my science GPA is around a 3.0, but i am not sure if classes like Functional Human Anatomy (cadaver lab) and Exercise Physiology count towards that GPA. I also have 6 independent research credits in Exercise Science and I don't know if they count there either. I have C's in Orgo I & II and Honors Calc II
I took the MCAT once and got a 31 (11P, 10V, 10B)
I worked in a biology lab as a work-study lab assistant my freshman year, and that summer worked full time actually conducting research in that lab. I left that lab because I no longer qualified for work study and because I realized i would rather pursue exercise science research rather than biology research as it was more interesting to me. Junior year I joined an exercise physiology and metabolism lab and have been doing research for credit ever since- and i love it. I also joined a Bone physiology laboratory this semester and enjoy it as well. I am in the departmental honors program in the Exercise Science major and will therefore be conducting my own honors research study in the Exercise phys lab next semester.
I have also been a volunteer EMT riding 10 hours a week since my freshman year. I serve as Second Lieutenant and Cadet Advisor at this squad.
I have only shadowed one doctor, a general practicioner, for about 25 hours.
I have had an upward trend in my GPA every semester since the beginning of college (3.0 my 1st semester to 3.74 most recent). I also volunteer at an organization called ModelsNMutts, am a member of the national society of leadership and success (national engaged leader award)am a member of a track club, and play intramural sports.
Sorry for the lengthy post- it's my 1st one.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyway I can imporve my chances before applying? Is applying to 15 MD/DO schools in the area applying broadly enough? Also, does it hurt my chances a lot if i apply without a Health Professions Office Committee letter? I don't know if i will be able to get one because of my science GPA

sGPA renders you non-competitive for MD schools and barely competitive for DO. Suggest retaking those C grade classes and sticking with DO programs. Apply broadly

Is there anyway I can imporve my chances before applying? Is applying to 15 MD/DO schools in the area applying broadly enough? Also, does it hurt my chances a lot if i apply without a Health Professions Office Committee letter? I don't know if i will be able to get one because of my science GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
sGPA renders you non-competitive for MD schools and barely competitive for DO. Suggest retaking those C grade classes and sticking with DO programs. Apply broadly
thanks for the reply

/
I was wondering how much higher you think my sGPA needs to be to even get my application looked at? And do you know if Exercise Phys. and Functional Human Anatomy would count towards that sGPA? I know that the AMCAS course classification guide counts both "Anatomy" and "Physiology" courses as Biology courses bu i believe my health professions office does not count any course in the exercise science department so I was confused about that discrepancy

3.4 is pretty much the floor for the low-tier schools like Rosy Franklin or NYMC. The avg. MD acceptee nationwide has 3.6, with a 33 MCAT.

I would count your two classes below as biology.

/
I was wondering how much higher you think my sGPA needs to be to even get my application looked at? And do you know if Exercise Phys. and Functional Human Anatomy would count towards that sGPA? I know that the AMCAS course classification guide counts both "Anatomy" and "Physiology" courses as Biology courses bu i believe my health professions office does not count any course in the exercise science department so I was confused about that discrepancy

3.4 is pretty much the floor for the low-tier schools like Rosy Franklin or NYMC. The avg. MD acceptee nationwide has 3.6, with a 33 MCAT.

I would count your two classes below as biology.
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have independent research credits from working in an exercise physiology and metabolism lab in the dept. of exercise science. Would these grades count toward my science gpa? Thanks for all your help

Yes.

I have independent research credits from working in an exercise physiology and metabolism lab in the dept. of exercise science. Would these grades count toward my science gpa?