MD & DO My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping to apply to both MD and DO schools during this application cycle and just want to get an idea about my chances. I am a Canadian citizen.

Major: Biochemistry
MCAT: 31 ( 11 PS, 9 VR, 11BS)
cGPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.86

Clinical Volunteering:More than 200 hours in 3 different departments of the hospital + fundraising for the hospital

Non Clinical Volunteering: Mentoring at university (30 hours) , executive of a club since ~6 months (about 20 active members), environmental clean up activities (about 20 hours)

Shadowing: None

Research:

More than 300 hours of non-clinical research ( no publication, no research scholarship)

Employment:
Office job (~700 hours)
About ~120 hours in a lab (no significant research)

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am hoping to apply to both MD and DO schools during this application cycle and just want to get an idea about my chances. I am a Canadian citizen.

Major: Biochemistry
MCAT: 31 ( 11 PS, 9 VR, 11BS)
cGPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.86

Clinical Volunteering:More than 200 hours in 3 different departments of the hospital + fundraising for the hospital

Non Clinical Volunteering: Mentoring at university (30 hours) , executive of a club since ~6 months (about 20 active members), environmental clean up activities (about 20 hours)

Shadowing: None

Research:

More than 300 hours of non-clinical research ( no publication, no research scholarship)

Employment:
Office job (~700 hours)
About ~120 hours in a lab (no significant research)
Assuming most of your hospital volunteer hours are face-to-face patient interaction time (rather than fund-raising time), chances of getting into a DO school are excellent based on your stats. But when choosing target schools, avoid those requiring an MD or DO LOR if you won't be acquiring one.

Chances at MD are less predictable, considering that your MCAT score is 3 points below the average for Canadians matriculating to US MD schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Isnt it true that DOs can apply for the same residency positions as MD? Is it extremely hard to get like an MD residency after doing the DO program. I am just trying to make a decision about either retaking the MCAT for MD schools or applying to DO and then working towards an MD residency? Any suggestions?

1) Isnt it true that DOs can apply for the same residency positions as MD?

2) Is it extremely hard to get like an MD residency after doing the DO program. I am just trying to make a decision about either retaking the MCAT for MD schools or applying to DO and then working towards an MD residency?

3) Any suggestions?
1) By the time you are ready to apply for residencies, the two systems will have merged to create one match. But even now, the same residency positions are available through each separate match, except I think for neurosurgery (not sure).

2) To get into an MD residency that is highly-selective, like derm, rads, ophthalmology, I you'd need extremely high board scores as a DO. If one can't get a high MCAT, it could be that standardized tests will continue to be a challenge.

3) If your MCAT score is a fluke, based on multiple official practice tests, and you think you could get 3 more points, then retake. A second issue is that your ECs are pretty bland for US MD, and could use more work.