My chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SWDoc2be

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I have read tons of different threads on stats and schools and now it's my time to see where I stand. I could use some advice on the proper steps that I should take!

I am a nontraditional student and my college career has been a roller coaster ride. I started out on the Deans List, 4.0 through my freshman year at a community college, (also took college courses over the summers in high school). Then the train derailed and I began to party and decided to work more than go to class. I made some mistakes and paid the piper and now trying to fix them! I'm going into senior year with a cGPA of 3.0 and a sGPA of 2.7 (F in biochem that I am retaking senior year). I do have an upward trend for this past year and hope to continue that trend. I have not taken the MCAT yet, slated to take it in August this year. I am striving for a 508 on the MCAT and feel that putting all my effort into it, I can achieve that!

I am a cancer survivor and do extensive charity work for St Jude and other cancer research organizations in my area (IL resident).

I have thousands of hours of clinical experimce from short time as an EMT, to working as a tech assistant in radiology (X-RAY department) and also as a Scribe in the ER.

I appreciate and welcome all feedback both good and bad. I am mainly considering DO schools and a few "lower tier" MD schools. I have also considered taking an SMP after senior year if it would be beneficial given my checkered history!

Thank you all in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

So when do you plan to apply? As you know your GPAs are too low for MD and awfully low for lots of DO schools. Where do you live in IL? There are lots of med schools in IL but I'm pretty sure your GPAs are well below the 10th percentile for all of them. The problem with doing a SMP is that you have to kill it-like a GPA of 3.6+ or it's game over. And they are really expensive. Obviously you have to do something about your GPAs and do extremely well on the MCAT. But with a 2.7 sGPA that might be hard since your GPA might indicate you lack the base knowledge of the sciences. I don't think you should even take the MCAT until you successfully complete the retake of biochem. You are going to need to work really hard to learn and review content for the MCAT. Do you have any shadowing?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Don't worry about the MCAT for now. Your only task until you graduate is to repair your GPA. If you get all As from here on not only will your GPA be much better but you will also be showing that desirable upward trend. If you have to take an extra term or extra year before graduating in order to get your GPA up to a respectable level that might be worth doing too - it could well be cheaper than doing an SMP and is probably less risky too.

I'd suggest putting off the MCAT until you have a satisfactory GPA. And if you are proposing to take the MCAT before you have repaired that Biochem failure, the only advice is "don't".

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input! I was planning to apply after my MCAT this upcoming year (to just a few schools) but realistically was planning on applying to the bulk after my senior year and improving my GPA. I don't have exact "shadow experience" but during my time as a Scribe I work side by side with both MDs and DOs (attendings and residents). Not sure if that counts as shadowing or not. The reason I intended to take the MCAT in August is because I have nothing going on this coming summer and can really spend 6hours+ per day studying for the MCAT so I can knock it out of the park.
I should note too that of my remaining courses, there are still at least 4-5 that are science classes that will help with my sGPA.

So when do you plan to apply? As you know your GPAs are too low for MD and awfully low for lots of DO schools. Where do you live in IL? There are lots of med schools in IL but I'm pretty sure your GPAs are well below the 10th percentile for all of them. The problem with doing a SMP is that you have to kill it-like a GPA of 3.6+ or it's game over. And they are really expensive. Obviously you have to do something about your GPAs and do extremely well on the MCAT. But with a 2.7 sGPA that might be hard since your GPA might indicate you lack the base knowledge of the sciences. I don't think you should even take the MCAT until you successfully complete the retake of biochem. You are going to need to work really hard to learn and review content for the MCAT. Do you have any shadowing?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Whoops! Still kinda new to posting in here and missed the reply button!

I am in Central Illinois so SIU would be a decent shot for me since I'm outside the Chicagoland area. But as you said, my GPAs are low. I do have 4-5 science classes remaining plus credits that just need to be filled with anything. In your opinion should I fill those with more science classes to boost that GPA or boost the cumulative with "easier" non science classes?

I made a lot of mistakes during my college career and am attempting now to mend them, just hoping it isn't too late!

I planned on applying after my MCAT this August to a few DO schools and just see what happens. Really expected to apply more broadly next year after my senior year to improve GPA and show upward trend. I planned to study 6+ hours over the summer to prepare for the MCAT.

As for shadowing, I'm not sure if my time as a scribe counts or not. I work directly side by side with the physicians (both DOs and MDs, attendings and residents).

You are not ready to apply to med school now. You need to ace (3.7+ GPA) either a DIY post-bac, or an SMP, and ace the MCAT (513+) as well

Hello SDNers,

I have read tons of different threads on stats and schools and now it's my time to see where I stand. I could use some advice on the proper steps that I should take!

I am a nontraditional student and my college career has been a roller coaster ride. I started out on the Deans List, 4.0 through my freshman year at a community college, (also took college courses over the summers in high school). Then the train derailed and I began to party and decided to work more than go to class. I made some mistakes and paid the piper and now trying to fix them! I'm going into senior year with a cGPA of 3.0 and a sGPA of 2.7 (F in biochem that I am retaking senior year). I do have an upward trend for this past year and hope to continue that trend. I have not taken the MCAT yet, slated to take it in August this year. I am striving for a 508 on the MCAT and feel that putting all my effort into it, I can achieve that!

I am a cancer survivor and do extensive charity work for St Jude and other cancer research organizations in my area (IL resident).

I have thousands of hours of clinical experimce from short time as an EMT, to working as a tech assistant in radiology (X-RAY department) and also as a Scribe in the ER.

I appreciate and welcome all feedback both good and bad. I am mainly considering DO schools and a few "lower tier" MD schools. I have also considered taking an SMP after senior year if it would be beneficial given my checkered history!

Thank you all in advance!!

Reactions: 1 user