My chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Race: White
Residence: Northern California
MCAT: 512 (129/126/129/128)
GPA: 3.58 over all, 3.56 science.
Major: Biochem
Minor: Physics
Extracurriculars: (Spanning 2010 to present)
#1- US Navy Hospital Corpsman. 4 years of medical experience treating patients in a military setting. Army Commendation Medal. 3 fantastic LORs. I also interview well (IMO) because of this.
#2-SI Leader/ Tutor 3 years. As an SI leader I make weekly session plans for students to attend and review challenging course material in Organic or General Chem. I also tutor Biochem. 20+ hours/week of work.
#3-3 years of research in Chemistry, Chem. Ed., and molecular biology. NO publications. Multiple conferences, one national conference. Made a bunch of lab videos that are now incorporated into the lab curriculum for two classes and helped rewrite the lab manual.
#4 ~100-150 volunteer hours as a supervisor at a free medical clinic and as a teacher's aide for a third grade class.
#5- Pre-Medical Association Vice-Pres. Did this to create a positive impact in students lives. Created an MCAT study group for the last 9 months. Actively working to mentor students. Organize events.
#6- Personal Trainer. Standard-helped people get fit. :)
#7- Strength Training/Bodybuilding hobby: Have entered a few competitions. Won a bench press competition. Mainly this is my passion for discipline, consistency, hard-work.

There's a few more but these are the biggest hitters. I also come from a pretty broken family and feel like that is my "biggest challenge" entry.

Can I have your input on my chances? I am open to MD or DO. Hoping UC Davis, UC Irvine, OHSU or any DO.

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine you’ll be successful with applying to UC Davis, decent chance at UCI, shoo in for any DO, and maybe have a chance at OHSU but they have a very strong IS preference.

I imagine you’ll be successful with applying to UC Davis, decent chance at UCI, shoo in for any DO, and maybe have a chance at OHSU but they have a very strong IS preference.
Great to hear someone thinks that. Thank you 8401! Are you still in or get into med school some where? How did you like SAR? Sounds like it be an awesome NEC.

Ya man, you should be fine for most MD schools in California. I think your best chance is at UC Davis tho. Check out my first post I made and you’ll be blown away by the responses I got about the boost being a vet gives you.

SAR was awesome, but just like everything else in the military, was completely dependent upon where you’re stationed. My first tour was Station SAR and that was the best gig ever. After that I went to a Navy HSC squadron. That was still kind of fun, but it’s pretty hard going from a Station SAR gig to anything else after. The good news is that AVT is being dropped from the pipeline and Paramedic school is going to be added.

I got out back in 2016. I’m still in undergrad and am applying during the 2019 cycle. UC Davis and UC Irvine are also some of my top choices but i have a feeling I’ll be going DO lol. My sGPA for MD is going to end up being between a 2.9-3.1, but my sGPA for DO is closer to a 3.3-3.5.