Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

my chances????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by optimisticdoc, Jan 23, 2001.

1. optimisticdoc

optimisticdoc Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I needed to do to become a successful canidate for DO or MD school. I am a recent graduate and am presently taking postgrad classes in the School of Public Health. My undergraduate GPA was not Harvard material (2.6). I will be taking the MCAT in April. I am also considering a MPH in Epidemiology. I will have accumulated four quarters of postgrad course work by August 2001 and will possibly begin my MPH Sept. 2001. I have compiled numerous hours of shadowing with physicians and also countless hours of volunteer work. I am really interested in becoming a physician and just would like to get some advice.
    Thaks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew07

Andrew07 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would suggest taking some post bac. classes, and plan on doing well. Your gpa is considerably low for either MD or DO school. If you were to do well in a post bac. program, it would show that your undergraduate gpa was merely a fluke. Shoot for at least a 3.3 (a 3.5 or greater would be even better) and study hard for the MCAT. You need at least a 3.3 gpa and 8's on your MCAT to be competitive for DO school, and even higher for MD school (3.5 and 10's on MCAT). If you were to take the MCAT in april and score high, I would go ahead and apply. You never know what may happen. I hope this was some help. Good luck.

Andrew

4. optimisticdoc

optimisticdoc Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply to my question. That is my plan for the postbac program. Do yo really think I should apply after this year if.... no wait when I do well on the MCAT? Any more suggestions are helpful and appreciated.

5. I think you should complete the MPH first, and then take the MCAT/apply to schools. This is what I did, and I think it shows that you are the type of person who finishes what they start...I took this route and have been accepted to 3 D.O. schools...

G