adam64897

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
114
1
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
I am starting my third year of college this fall and will most likely have a 3.48 GPA with a 3.41 in the sciences and will apply to medical school with those credentials. I am going to start volunteering at a hospital this fall and also I will be participating in research with a professor at my school. I have been a member of the health professionals society since the spring semester of last year and am also considering joining the chemistry club at my school for another extra-curricular activity. I also had a major slip up last fall. My GPA was under 2.0 but since then my GPA has been 3.47 (fall), 3.75 (8 credits summer I session), 4.0 (8 credits summer II session), and hopefully two more 4.0 semesters next year all before I apply. I will be taking the MCAT sometime in April of 2007. I have taken a few practice tests and my scores have ranged from 26-31. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any insight on if I should wait another year or apply after my Junior year?
 

StudentDoc327

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
147
0
Status
adam64897 said:
I am starting my third year of college this fall and will most likely have a 3.48 GPA with a 3.41 in the sciences and will apply to medical school with those credentials. I am going to start volunteering at a hospital this fall and also I will be participating in research with a professor at my school. I have been a member of the health professionals society since the spring semester of last year and am also considering joining the chemistry club at my school for another extra-curricular activity. I also had a major slip up last fall. My GPA was under 2.0 but since then my GPA has been 3.47 (fall), 3.75 (8 credits summer I session), 4.0 (8 credits summer II session), and hopefully two more 4.0 semesters next year all before I apply. I will be taking the MCAT sometime in April of 2007. I have taken a few practice tests and my scores have ranged from 26-31. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any insight on if I should wait another year or apply after my Junior year?

Do what you gotta do to get a 4.0 in your last 2 semesters (hopefuly with a lot of sciences) and score > 32 on your MCAT. The trend is going to help you, they will notice it. If you have enough time to do all that + get some experience in the medical feild, I would go for it. But definitely not at the expense of your grades. If you mess up in your last semesters, you arent gonna be able to bring up your GPA ever (and you are kinda borderline now). If you need to take more time to study for your MCAT or get medical experience, then just apply a year later. Good luck.
 
OP
adam64897

adam64897

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
114
1
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
that's kinda what I was thinking myself...I will still have enough credits remaining after next year to pull my GPA up to a 3.6 or so if I continued getting 4.0's. I think I would just be way too overwhelmed if I were to try and cram in getting good grades with volunteering and research and my other clubs I'm apart of at school all into next year. Plus I do realize the MCAT is just as important as a solid GPA and trying to study for that in the middle of all that i've mentioned is going to push me to insanity. And yes, I think all of my classes next year are science classes with the exception of a gen. ed. I might take.
 

StudentDoc327

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
147
0
Status
adam64897 said:
that's kinda what I was thinking myself...I will still have enough credits remaining after next year to pull my GPA up to a 3.6 or so if I continued getting 4.0's. I think I would just be way too overwhelmed if I were to try and cram in getting good grades with volunteering and research and my other clubs I'm apart of at school all into next year. Plus I do realize the MCAT is just as important as a solid GPA and trying to study for that in the middle of all that i've mentioned is going to push me to insanity. And yes, I think all of my classes next year are science classes with the exception of a gen. ed. I might take.

Sounds like you already know what you wanna do. Since you are taking the extra year, try to add some fun in that schedule too. With ~ 3.6 and 32 I think you will have a great shot at getting in somewhere on your first attempt.
 

Jocomama

Make 'em bleed!
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
292
1
Ann Arbor, MI and Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
1. DOn't do volunteer and research and......
just do 1 thing really good. Stick with the professor and get into the lab. I've had too many students spread themselves thin. One kid did good cuz he had 3.9 and 33 MCATs. But couldn't get letter of rec; didn't stick with it.

2 other students were told either full go with the lab, or don't waste my time. One didn't listen - no LOR nor lab opportunity.

SO - just pick 1 thing
Why? Because you gotta bust ASS on your MCATS - that holds so much more weight than anything else.

The fact your grades have been going you consistently - is GREAT/ Good story. Same thing happened to me in 2nd yr, Got 4.0 next year and half.



adam64897 said:
I am starting my third year of college this fall and will most likely have a 3.48 GPA with a 3.41 in the sciences and will apply to medical school with those credentials. I am going to start volunteering at a hospital this fall and also I will be participating in research with a professor at my school. I have been a member of the health professionals society since the spring semester of last year and am also considering joining the chemistry club at my school for another extra-curricular activity. I also had a major slip up last fall. My GPA was under 2.0 but since then my GPA has been 3.47 (fall), 3.75 (8 credits summer I session), 4.0 (8 credits summer II session), and hopefully two more 4.0 semesters next year all before I apply. I will be taking the MCAT sometime in April of 2007. I have taken a few practice tests and my scores have ranged from 26-31. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any insight on if I should wait another year or apply after my Junior year?
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,891
Status
Attending Physician
Jocomama said:
1. DOn't do volunteer and research and......
just do 1 thing really good. Stick with the professor and get into the lab. I've had too many students spread themselves thin. One kid did good cuz he had 3.9 and 33 MCATs. But couldn't get letter of rec; didn't stick with it.

2 other students were told either full go with the lab, or don't waste my time. One didn't listen - no LOR nor lab opportunity.

SO - just pick 1 thing
Why? Because you gotta bust ASS on your MCATS - that holds so much more weight than anything else.

The fact your grades have been going you consistently - is GREAT/ Good story. Same thing happened to me in 2nd yr, Got 4.0 next year and half.
Most of the schools will indicate that they regard clinical exposure as more important for admissions than research. The ideal candidate has both, but clinical experience is basically the one that is deemed a prerequisite. Lots of people get to med school without having done research, but very few are admitted without having set foot in a hospital. So I would pick the choice other than the one you are suggesting.
 

lealf-ye

I am a super doctor.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2003
315
0
40
SDN
Visit site
Status
agree with the above, do volunteer, forget about research unless you plan to have something published....
 

pillowhead

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2002
1,029
3
Visit site
Status
Law2Doc said:
Most of the schools will indicate that they regard clinical exposure as more important for admissions than research. The ideal candidate has both, but clinical experience is basically the one that is deemed a prerequisite. Lots of people get to med school without having done research, but very few are admitted without having set foot in a hospital. So I would pick the choice other than the one you are suggesting.
I have to agree with this after having sat on the other side of the admissions committee in medical school. Research experience is good, but at the undergraduate level, admissions knows that you're doing very little besides pipetting and cleaning test tubes a hours a week (grad research is very different). Having no clinical experience is enough to keep you out of medical school even in light of good grades and MCAT scores. Clinical experience, no matter how minimal, is an absolute prerequsite. GOOD research is icing on the cake but not a necessity.

Good luck to you! With hard work over the next year, you have a good shot at a U.S. allopathic school if you apply widely enough. The upward trend in grades will definitely be noted, and if you can have a professor mention that in your letters of recommendation, that will help, too.
 

UCSFnerd

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
19
0
Status
Medical Student
I also agree. Clinical experience is more important in terms of prerequisites of even being considered into medical school. However, research will give you a huge advantage. If at all possible, try getting involved with clinical research.

Another good idea is, if you want, to wait another year to apply. Do some volunteer work this year (it's less time cosuming than research) so you can study hard for the MCAT and raise your GPA. Then next year get involved with research. It will make your application that much better and give you more options for applying to schools.
 
OP
adam64897

adam64897

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
114
1
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you all so much for the advice. I truly appreciate it and I think I will just be involved with the weekend volunteering/occasional shadowing over the next two school years. I also would like to know who I should eventually try to get letters of reccomendation from? Doctors, professors?? Thanks in advance.