My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amikhchi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.38 Science GPA, 3.4 other gpa... 31p (VR-8 BS-12 PS-11). 2 summers worth of volunteering at a family doctor's office, a year (not including summer) of volunteering at a rehab college. I'm a senior at Cal-State Northridge, majoring in Biology.

The whole secondary process has been very stressful, seems like everytime i write 4 short essays, the next 2ndary needs 5, and so on. But I just want to see your opinions on whether or not I have a shot to get in (preferrably a CA school).

THanks,

Members don't see this ad.

3.4/31 from a CS isn't going to be very competitive for CA MD schools (except for potentially LLU) if you aren't URM... but is probably competitive at CA DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer to go to CA, but i'll go out of state if i don't get accepted... i know my gpa is kinda low, adn my mcat is good, but not good enough to make up for the low GPA.

i'm iranian, but there really isn't any choices other than black/asian/hispanic/white

so when they read my amcas they'll see "caucasian"

My primary was verified aug 30th, i've sent in about 8/15 secondaries so far, but i still have to wait for my school to send in the LoRs...

I prefer to go to CA, but i'll go out of state if i don't get accepted... i know my gpa is kinda low, adn my mcat is good, but not good enough to make up for the low GPA.

i'm iranian, but low and behold there really isn't any choices other than black/asian/hispanic/white

so when they read my amcas they'll see "caucasian"

My primary was verified aug 30th, i've sent in about 8/15 secondaries so far, but i still have to wait for my school to send in the LoRs...

Well you're probably familiar with these numbers, but I'll list them for your reference:

UC Davis 3.71/32
UC Irvine 3.73/32
UCLA 3.78/35
UCSD 3.82/35
UCSF 3.84/34
USC 3.69/34
LLU 3.76/29
Western (COMP) 28 (not sure about GPA)

I have a 3.38 Science GPA, 3.4 other gpa... 31p (VR-8 BS-12 PS-11). 2 summers worth of volunteering at a family doctor's office, a year (not including summer) of volunteering at a rehab college. I'm a senior at Cal-State Northridge, majoring in Biology.

The whole secondary process has been very stressful, seems like everytime i write 4 short essays, the next 2ndary needs 5, and so on. But I just want to see your opinions on whether or not I have a shot to get in (preferrably a CA school).

THanks,

Did you get any secondaries from the UCs? UCLA gives out a secondary to anybody with a 3.5+ and 30+. These are not hard and fast rules because I know people with sub 30 MCAT scores who got UCLA secondaries. I don't know how flexible UCLA is with GPAs.

Yeah i've had dreams about those numbers... lol

well, thanks for the input, I guess i'll be moving out after all.

I already know most of the gpa/mcat stats of the schools I am applyign to, but id still like some input of these out of state schools:

Tulane
Penn State
Boston University
University of MN
Albany
NYU
St. Louis
Ohio State University
Louisville

Those are the out of state schools that I have completed the 2ndaries

Only CA schools I have received secondaries from:

USC
LLU
Stanford (lol, they just want my money)

UC Davis/UCLA haven't sent me an email yet about even receiving my primary app.

UCSD/UCI have sent me notification of receiving primary but have not given me 2ndary yet

I guess i kinda knew it deep down that i'd end up out of state... but i can still hope :laugh:

Yeah i've had dreams about those numbers... lol

well, thanks for the input, I guess i'll be moving out after all.

I already know most of the gpa/mcat stats of the schools I am applyign to, but id still like some input of these out of state schools:

Tulane
Penn State
Boston University
University of MN
Albany
NYU
St. Louis
Ohio State University
Louisville

Those are the out of state schools that I have completed the 2ndaries

Those numbers are medians. Many people with numbers higher than medians get rejected and many people with numbers lower than medians get accepted. If you have secondaries from any of the UCs then they think you are a potentially good candidate. That's one way to tell if you have a shot at Cali schools at this point in the process.

I believe St. Louis U, Tulane, and Albany take significant amounts of OOS students and your stats may be somewhat competitive there. I think the other schools on your list may be challenging either due to the stats of average matriculants or because of a low number of OOS slots. Furthermore, applying late with marginal numbers isn't going to help. I would work on improving your ECs and GPA during this cycle and if you end up not having a whole lot of success, consider retaking the MCAT.

I already submitted my AMCAS app, can I still add schools afterwards?

Consider adding University of Toledo, Temple, NYMC.

If you don't get in this year, retake MCAT or apply DO.

I would reinterate what others have said about Toledo. We have a class of 155-160 every year with about 35% of that number being OOS. Of that 35% a very high number (almost half probably) are from California. While I wouldn't say you're a lock for anything, I would say you have a very good chance of getting interviewed and accepted. Consider adding Cincy and Ohio State as well since they also take a large percentage of OOS students.

Well, thanks for all your input guys, i was about to add toledo to my list of medical schools, but when i tried it notified me that after i add another medical school AMCAS has to certify the application, is this going to take as long as the 1st time it did (about 15 days or so). Because if that is the case, there's no point to adding toledo, seeing as how toledo's deadling for primary is november 1st (unless i read wrong on AMCAS' website)...

thanks anyway for all the info, i'm really not looking forward to taking the MCAT again, i killed myself for a summer getting that 31, if only my verbal would've been better, but either way i'll do what i have to if i don't get accepted (knock on wood)...

you can add it, as long as you add it before november 1st, atleast thats the way I understand it

Well, thanks for all your input guys, i was about to add toledo to my list of medical schools, but when i tried it notified me that after i add another medical school AMCAS has to certify the application, is this going to take as long as the 1st time it did (about 15 days or so). Because if that is the case, there's no point to adding toledo, seeing as how toledo's deadling for primary is november 1st (unless i read wrong on AMCAS' website)...

thanks anyway for all the info, i'm really not looking forward to taking the MCAT again, i killed myself for a summer getting that 31, if only my verbal would've been better, but either way i'll do what i have to if i don't get accepted (knock on wood)...

No, it takes like 30 seconds for the recertification to happen when you add schools.

THanks,

Best of luck my friend. After carefull analysis, it looks like you have about the same chance as every other Iranian with a 3.4/31.

Again, best of luck and I hope this answers your question.