My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naveenroks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments, suggestions or criticism is truely apreciated!!

Presently, I am done with 60 credits with a cummulative GPA of 3.5 and science GPA of 3. My first semster in college went really well with all A's..and in the second I screwed up chem II and Calc II with B & C respectively..and in the third sem I even more screwed myslef with D in organic and C in genetics. so my present GPW fell to 3.35 and science GPA to 3. Reason being I was of the track for varoius reasons..lacked work ethic..a plan..approach and carelessness. I am really really determined to work hard from now..and will retake orgo and genetics and calc. I did 150 voluntary work as of now and I am still doing..and I am willing to get into any research program. What are my chances to get into med school..Will the retakes have a bad effect on my application?? I am from India..and came here after high school..its been just 2 yrs I am in US..so did not invove much in any leadrership activities..or community involvement or reasearch due language problem and problems due to sudden change in the place..but I am willing to do all those things from now. If I get straight A's from now..I will get a GPA of 3.65 and a science GPA of 3.5. With that kind of GPA what would be the MCAT score thats competative enough. any suggestions abt how to get into a reaseach program and how to get into leadership activities are also appreciated very much. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

If I get straight A's from now..I will get a GPA of 3.65 and a science GPA of 3.5. With that kind of GPA what would be the MCAT score thats competative enough.
When you apply to med schools, would you be an international applicant, or do you have US permanent resident status or citizenship? Which schools would be willing to consider your application depends on the answer to this question. If you will not be an international applicant, and you have all the usual prerequisites, which you are obviously aware of, and you have a state school that has low selectivity, then an MCAT of 31, including a good verbal score, should be sufficient.

I am perminent resident!! not an international applicant!! thanks for ur suggestions!!

and do u think retakes would have a negative effect?? and how to get into research program..and leadership activities????

Members don't see this ad :)
Retakes can only have a positive effect, if you get a high grade the second time.

As this is a "What are my Chances?" subforum, you might get more information on your other questions in the pre-allopathic forum by doing a search for the information. Then post a new thread there only if you can't find what you need to know.

Yeah, Lost rocks.

You can find research and leadership opportunities at school.

There are professors doing research all around usually and just join clubs and run for office. Start low (secretary) if need be and work up to pres. Or just get your name as an officer in a bunch of different clubs/organizations.

Just try to get involved somewhere.

Most of my leadership comes from work, where I was a bossman, lol!!