My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i am very interested in Osteopathic medicine and have shadowed a lot of DO's and I am deft more interested in DO then MD. It has nothing to do with my score. If i got into both, I would choose DO. However, I am a little worried.

GPA: 3.61
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: Took it, but no score. Already registered for another one. My practices have been around 21-26.
-2 publications, 2 in preparation.
-2 different research labs, 2 years in environmental phycology and 3 years in neurobiology studying neuroplasticity.
-Numerous conferences all over the nation.
-Been down to central america twice, setting up mobile health care clinics in rural areas. Became president of Global medical brigades.
-Volunteering at a children's hospital and adult hospital throughout my undergrad and post-graduation.
-Teacher Assistant for 3 years.
-Co-founder of a non profit that works on providing health care and public health in Nicaragua.
-30 hours of MD shadowing and 30 hours of DO shadowing.

I am REALLY worried because of the MCAT.

give me some good news :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is good. ECs are great. Even with say... a 23 MCAT, your chances are good that you'll get in somewhere if you apply smart. What state are you in?

I am currently studying to re-take in July. I am in Illinois and I my number one choice is CCOM. However, I will go anywhere.

What does "applying smart" include? Thank you for all your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that even being a illinois resident a sub 25-26 score would make it difficult but not impossible to get into CCOM. But you could get into seceral other schools with a score of 23-24

I would say that even being a illinois resident a sub 25-26 score would make it difficult but not impossible to get into CCOM. But you could get into seceral other schools with a score of 23-24

I am planning on applying to most DO schools. Which once in specific do you have in mind?

23 Pikeville KYCOM, LMU-DCOM, WVSOM(express an interest in rural medicine)
MAYBE WITH A 24 Lake Erie COM Bradenton, KCUMB, New England COM (may show a regional bias)

These are only my opinions, but with a score of 23 or 24 you have to somehow compensate for it with the rest of your application. Additionally, don't underestimate the great importance of applying as early as possible

Last edited:
I am planning on applying to most DO schools. Which once in specific do you have in mind?

It really depends on your MCAT. You have a pretty good GPA. This will help you as I have noticed a good amount of DO schools favor GPA over MCAT.

Dont stress out yet. Once you get your MCAT, you will get better guidance for where to apply. The rest of your application looks great.

Hey guys,

i am very interested in Osteopathic medicine and have shadowed a lot of DO's and I am deft more interested in DO then MD. It has nothing to do with my score. If i got into both, I would choose DO. However, I am a little worried.

MCAT: Took it, but no score. Already registered for another one. My practices have been around 21-26.
-2 different research labs, 2 years in environmental phycology and 3 years in neurobiology studying neuroplasticity.
-Been down to central america twice, setting up mobile health care clinics in rural areas. Became president of Global medical brigades.
-Volunteering at a children's hospital and adult hospital throughout my undergrad and post-graduation.
-Co-founder of a non profit that works on providing health care and public health in Nicaragua.

Don't take this the wrong way... but here we go again fellas. The incredibly overused disclaimer. :rolleyes:

Good ECs, good GPA.... just depends on your MCAT. If you don't do well (as in less than 25 or so...) you have time to retake it. Apply early. You should be fine. :)

MAYBE WITH A 24 Lake Erie COM Bradenton, KCUMB, New England COM (may show a regional bias)

These are only my opinions, but with a score of 23 or 24 you have to somehow compensate for it with the rest of your application. Additionally, don't underestimate the great importance of applying as early as possible

IMHO, unless the OP is from Maine, s/he can forget about UNE w/ a 24 (waste of money to apply) and KCUMB is also a stretch.

Thanks for your help guys, I know tons of people ask the same questions I do. Just really terrified of the stupid MCAT. I think GPA is much more valuable since you have to work hard to maintain it for 4 years.

I am planning on applying as soon as the AACOMAS open. Submit everything on June 1st.

It is really interesting to see that even DO students and DO applicants, are more humane and answer your questions honestly and openly. Unlike MD applicants who will ridicule you.

Like everyone else said... don't get too wound up about the MCAT until after you've taken it. Your practice range isn't terrible for DO schools, but it's a little below the average for some of the more competitive programs. If you feel like studying the concepts might help, go back and do that; but practice exams (for me at least), along with reviewing areas you're consistently weak in, seem to be the best "test experience" you can get.

Another question: are you interested in research and/or international medicine? If you are, there are probably a few programs (MSU, OU, DMU, off the top of my head) that are better suited to those routes (The first two specifically if you want to pursue a DO/Ph.D). You've got plenty of time before the next interview season starts, so I'd recommend talking to CCOM and any other programs you might like to what piques your interest.

Lastly, check the AACOM Information Book(http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx) and see which schools interest you. Good luck! :)

What does "applying smart" include? Thank you for all your help!

In your case, you seem to have a real interest in medical missions. Find schools who want students who are dedicated to serving the underserved, whether that's at home or abroad. The first school that comes to my mind is VCOM (where I start this fall). VCOM is huge on medical missions. It's what they pride themselves on. Their average MCAT is around a 25, but one of the guys in my interview group was from Illinois with a 21 MCAT and I just saw him Saturday at Accepted Students Day. So while your MCAT may or not be weak, the rest of your app is pretty strong, especially with the "serving" aspect, so look for schools whose vision is to produce doctors that want to be involved in missions work and cater your application, personal statement, and secondaries to them.

Another question: are you interested in research and/or international medicine? If you are, there are probably a few programs (MSU, OU, DMU, off the top of my head) that are better suited to those routes (The first two specifically if you want to pursue a DO/Ph.D). You've got plenty of time before the next interview season starts, so I'd recommend talking to CCOM and any other programs you might like to what piques your interest.

Lastly, check the AACOM Information Book(http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx) and see which schools interest you. Good luck! :)

Unfortunately DMU is not research heavy. I remember on interview day, the Dean flat out told us that DMU's emphasis is not research, and that if we desire to pursue it we should probably look into a different school. :(

Nonetheless, I'm going there and intend on doing research if given the opportunity. I can't help but hope that DMU's research interests will grow over the years... surely they know how important it is to their students, faculty, and medicine in general. I'll give it another 50 years... ;)

Unfortunately DMU is not research heavy. I remember on interview day, the Dean flat out told us that DMU's emphasis is not research, and that if we desire to pursue it we should probably look into a different school. :(

Nonetheless, I'm going there and intend on doing research if given the opportunity. I can't help but hope that DMU's research interests will grow over the years... surely they know how important it is to their students, faculty, and medicine in general. I'll give it another 50 years... ;)

I am surprised to hear they suggest going to another school. While I would agree that research is not heavily emphasized during our interview they had a guy who was the head of research come talk to us and mention that if we wanted numerous opportunities exist to take part in research.

Agreed, it is VERY important to apply early, especially if you have sub-par scores. I also think 24 for LECOM might be a stretch since that is their bare bones minimum score that they will accept for review. Then again if you don't apply there, you can't get in.

Another question: are you interested in research and/or international medicine? If you are, there are probably a few programs (MSU, OU, DMU, off the top of my head) that are better suited to those routes (The first two specifically if you want to pursue a DO/Ph.D).

Like GimpGenius stated, if you're interested in research there are several options to consider for DO schools. I would aim high on the MCAT for these programs, though. Definitely higher than a 26. According to MSU's website for the DO/PhD program, their average MCAT is 29-32, average GRE 1300 (580 Verbal, 720 Quantitative).

Looks great !

Hey guys,

What is considered an "Early" vs "Late" applicant. I had my mcat for June 24 and was thinking of pushing it to Mid July which would make me "complete" by probably August 1st. Would this make me a "late" applicant and what does it do to my chances?

basically how much of an advantage is applying early?

Hey guys,
So im in the same spot at the person who started this threat- maybe worse since my MCAT is 22 but I need help as well.

I need some advice. I got my MCAT score two days ago and it's the weak point in my application. I'm going to go talk to an advisor soon but I also want I guess a "second" opinion.
I really want to go to VCOM. I absolutely fell in love with the school;it's a DO school in Virginia with a second campus in South Carolina. But I am not sure if I should even try.

My overall GPA 3.6
My science GPA 3.3
MCAT 22
EC-
shady grove hospital over 100 hours volunteer
Montgomery General hospital 40 hours
Pregnancy Aid center volunteer
Mercy Health Free Clinic volunteer
National MS Society volunteer
Stepping Stone Program
going to shadow a DO doctor

Part time worker at Highland Shoe Repair

Pre-Medical Society
Pre-Student Osteopathic Medical Association member
American Medical Student Association member
Be a Match Coordinator- March 4-6, 2011
Homenutmen volleyball team (5 years), team manager (2 years)
Homenutmen basketball team (3 years)
Hamasdegh Armenian Dance Group
Hamasdegh Armenian Kindergarten teacher aid (3 years)
Armenian Student Union- member (3 years)
Armenian National Committee of America volunteer
Sourp Khatch Bazaar volunteer

Do I have a shot if I apply the same week applications come out? Im talking June!

Hey guys,
So im in the same spot at the person who started this threat- maybe worse since my MCAT is 22 but I need help as well.

I need some advice. I got my MCAT score two days ago and it's the weak point in my application. I'm going to go talk to an advisor soon but I also want I guess a "second" opinion.
I really want to go to VCOM. I absolutely fell in love with the school;it's a DO school in Virginia with a second campus in South Carolina. But I am not sure if I should even try.

My overall GPA 3.6
My science GPA 3.3
MCAT 22
EC-
shady grove hospital over 100 hours volunteer
Montgomery General hospital 40 hours
Pregnancy Aid center volunteer
Mercy Health Free Clinic volunteer
National MS Society volunteer
Stepping Stone Program
going to shadow a DO doctor

Part time worker at Highland Shoe Repair

Pre-Medical Society
Pre-Student Osteopathic Medical Association member
American Medical Student Association member
Be a Match Coordinator- March 4-6, 2011
Homenutmen volleyball team (5 years), team manager (2 years)
Homenutmen basketball team (3 years)
Hamasdegh Armenian Dance Group
Hamasdegh Armenian Kindergarten teacher aid (3 years)
Armenian Student Union- member (3 years)
Armenian National Committee of America volunteer
Sourp Khatch Bazaar volunteer

Do I have a shot if I apply the same week applications come out? Im talking June!

Wow, did I find my long/lost DO twin? lol

First of all, I think your Sports, Dance Groups and most of the last list is absolutely irrelevant. People might disagree with me, but I do not think any school cares about the Dance Group or Bball team you were on.

My advice is try to apply and make sure your personal statement is very strong. 22 could be enough for a 5 years M.S/DO that some schools offer. Good luck!

Wow, did I find my long/lost DO twin? lol

First of all, I think your Sports, Dance Groups and most of the last list is absolutely irrelevant. People might disagree with me, but I do not think any school cares about the Dance Group or Bball team you were on.

My advice is try to apply and make sure your personal statement is very strong. 22 could be enough for a 5 years M.S/DO that some schools offer. Good luck!

I disagree. strongly
Listing dance and sports team show that you have interest and hobbies outside of medicine. It shows that you work well in group and have experience helping others learn. Managing a team shows you have leadership skills and can organize groups of people. Do include all of those activities in your EC section. You would be a fool to think that they are irrelevant.