My Chemistry Teacher Asked..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JYim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in chemistry, our teacher told us to write a 1 page paper about how chemistry relates to your future career. He told us not to look it up online, but to interview a real person. It's due tomorrow and I procrasinated so here I am asking all of ya.

"How does chemistry relate to pharmacy?"

He told us an example would be like.. M engineers don't actually need to balance chemical equations or anything, but they need to learn the thinking process chemistry teaches you. Er...

thanks in advance!!

JESS :)

Members don't see this ad.

So in chemistry, our teacher told us to write a 1 page paper about how chemistry relates to your future career. He told us not to look it up online, but to interview a real person. It's due tomorrow and I procrasinated so here I am asking all of ya.

He told us an example would be like.. M engineers don't actually need to balance chemical equations or anything, but they need to learn the thinking process chemistry teaches you. Er...

thanks in advance!!

Chemistry knowledge has taught me to set up and run a highly profitable Meth Lab...

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks in advance!!

Well, on top of my head that i can think of would be: melting point, crystallization. Those are often referred to "Compound stability". Like in retail setting, i would counsel patients to refrigerate Azithromycin suspension because it would be "spoiled" if it is exposed to high temp. Also, Some suspension like Clarithromycin should NOT be refrigerated because it will form crystallization.

As of melting, you can refer to some medication, such as Acetaminophen suppository has to refrigetated because it can be melted or degraded in normal temperature.

i dont think all acetaminophen supp. need to be kept in the fridge do they? we keep ours out

I've been at work all day, so I may be too late for your paper, but when it comes to compounding TPN (total parenteral nutrition)....you have to be very careful how many mEq of cations & anions you mix (specifically Ca & PO4...which exists in both ++ & +++ forms). You also have to be careful in the order of mixing. Otherwise you can form a precipitate which can lead to a pulmonary embolus or clog the catheter.

Additionally...you have to be aware of the propensity for proteins to bind chemicals (drugs) so you have to be able to evaulate the protein concentration of an individual & know what the binding ability (or inability) might be.

One other item related....you must be familiar with how easily some drugs might "bump" others from a binding site - this has to do with ligand binding, etc.....knowing the "free" drug is the active drug....you will be able to predict if you combine a certain set of drugs, what might happen.

These are very general...but - good luck!

Chemistry knowledge has taught me to set up and run a highly profitable Meth Lab...

i went to a Haz Mat workshop and they taught us how to make the meth from sudafed. Kinda scary how easy it was.

i went to a Haz Mat workshop and they taught us how to make the meth from sudafed. Kinda scary how easy it was.

Hey, thanks for all your replies! I'm done with my paper now :)

Hey Scrubs Fan, I live in Chino Hills too !!!

Hey, thanks for all your replies! I'm done with my paper now :)

Hey Scrubs Fan, I live in Chino Hills too !!!

I played a lot of golf in Chino Hills while going to Pharmacy School...

Los Serranos and El Prado... God did El Prado stink.. Cattle Ranch.

No offense but why would your chemistry teacher make such an odd request?

He should know your here to do chemistry(i.e. Learn the CONCEPTS) and not write worthless papers and and getting opinions on what other people think chemistry is useful for.

I played a lot of golf in Chino Hills while going to Pharmacy School...

Los Serranos and El Prado... God did El Prado stink.. Cattle Ranch.

you live in chino hills long enough, you can't even smell the cows. Frankly, when i was away from college, it reminded me of home :eek: hehe

you live in chino hills long enough, you can't even smell the cows. Frankly, when i was away from college, it reminded me of home :eek: hehe

Well, Chino Hills really didn't exist when I used to roam the area. My good buddy lived in Diamond Bar..so we would take the backway into Chino Hills.. I think that backway is now called 71? there used to be nothing. I mean nothing...

He used to trespass Diamond Bar Ranch.. and they shot salt pallets at trespassers...

I haven't been back there since 1995..when they started to put up housing.. where decent size homes were selling for $220,000.

We all said..who would wanna live in Chino Hills..it's so far from everything and it stinks.

One of the El Prado courses is called "Butter Field." We avoided that course with passion.. cuz it didn't really smell like butter.

lol! i don't think it smells where i live in chino hils @_@...
they're gonna build a 99ranch market and a mall soon, called the chino hills shoppes. come visit. :)

Well, Chino Hills really didn't exist when I used to roam the area. My good buddy lived in Diamond Bar..so we would take the backway into Chino Hills.. I think that backway is now called 71? there used to be nothing. I mean nothing...

He used to trespass Diamond Bar Ranch.. and they shot salt pallets at trespassers...

I haven't been back there since 1995..when they started to put up housing.. where decent size homes were selling for $220,000.

We all said..who would wanna live in Chino Hills..it's so far from everything and it stinks.

One of the El Prado courses is called "Butter Field." We avoided that course with passion.. cuz it didn't really smell like butter.

hahaha. yeah, my family moved to chino hills in july of 1991 and there was barely anythng here. I don't think it officially became a 'city' until a few months afterwards.

where exactly is diamond bar ranch? i've recently started exploring a few trails in CH on my jogs and stumbled upon ranches that i never knew was there.

and all of the area over by the 71 has grown tremendously. i went there for the first time in 10 years and the houses were massive.

any other stories old timer? heh i'd love to hear them.

JYIM, you sound like a spokes person for CH. hehe. glad you got your paper done.

I went to school close enough to get the "Chino Winds." That was pretty horrible, but by far the worst was running cross-country meets at Prado Park in the 90 degree heat. The smell was enough to make me gag, not to mention the flies (no doubt covered in dung) that liked to fly into my mouth while I was gasping for a breath of poop-filled air.

lol! i don't think it smells where i live in chino hils @_@...
they're gonna build a 99ranch market and a mall soon, called the chino hills shoppes. come visit. :)

hey JYim.
hehe see? you've lived in chino hills so long you don't smell it anymore
where do you go to school?