my class schedual: does this look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_dre

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
at my school once you're in third year you can start taking some senior (4th year) courses. And once you're a senior you can take anything you want. So as a senior I don't have to take all 4th year courses.

So last year I took two senior courses because I wanted to get them out of the way and because they seemed pretty interesting.
Now it happens that all the senior courses which I'm interested in are offered in the spring.

So here is my course schedual for the fall:

First year english (I need this half course to meet Eng reqs)
Second year music
Third year bio
Another third year bio
Third year biochem

In the spring:

3 x fourth year biologies
second year psych
second year anthro

Honestly, does it look bad that I'm not taking any fourth year courses first term? And is it normal to take only five fourth year courses? Although my school doesn't require more and most ppl take as few as possible, how will adcoms see this?

Plz tell me if this is a bad idea!

Members don't see this ad.

wow...that's like 100x harder than my senior schedule. you have at least 3 sciences each semester...no one is going to think that was too "easy"

med school will be hard enough, enjoy your senior year. take less classes, drink more beer. you have plenty of time to be buried in work in med school.

dr_dre said:
at my school once you're in third year you can start taking some senior (4th year) courses. And once you're a senior you can take anything you want. So as a senior I don't have to take all 4th year courses.

So last year I took two senior courses because I wanted to get them out of the way and because they seemed pretty interesting.
Now it happens that all the senior courses which I'm interested in are offered in the spring.

So here is my course schedual for the fall:

First year english (I need this half course to meet Eng reqs)
Second year music
Third year bio
Another third year bio
Third year biochem

In the spring:

3 x fourth year biologies
second year psych
second year anthro

Honestly, does it look bad that I'm not taking any fourth year courses first term? And is it normal to take only five fourth year courses? Although my school doesn't require more and most ppl take as few as possible, how will adcoms see this?

Plz tell me if this is a bad idea!

No worries mate. Looks fine to me. Except it is weird that you are just now getting around to first year english. How did you get by with that? Wouldn't the english have benefitted you during your 2 and 3 year classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:
what looks bad is that you can't spell the word schedule.

thats how we spell it here in the south pacific

zahque said:

Not everyone is a perfect speller, and I for one do not focus on grammar in these threads. Plenty of time to nit-pick writing in med school or on application essays.

zahque said:

:D

senior year should be fun and easy! Just be happy that you actually get to CHOOSE a majority of your classes. Most of mine are forced into my curriculum :(

It doesn't matter what level of individual classes you're taking, but what you're taking as a whole. IMO, first-year psychology is just as hard for a pre-med student as a few difficult classes are. You still have to learn stuff.

it looks fairly hard lol

I would rather have a 4.0 with a lighter load than a 3.5 with an impossible one. As long as you get in all the necessary classes, why shoot yourself in the foot? Unless you were taking advice from someone on here who wants you to shoot yourself in the foot because they did...

zahque said:

A true Penn Stater doesn't post something this stupid

"May no act of ours bring shame
To one heart that loves thy name"

Represent!!

I think it depends on what kind of person you are and how much time you need to matriculate all the material and still do well. Sure 3 higher level biology courses sound like a load, but it might be good preparation for the next year in medical school. Also, you should be accepted while/before you take those classes, and I'm guessing if your GPA doesn't slip too bad you'll still be attending. I say "man up" and kick ass. :D