My conversation with University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy admission rep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveysmith54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called her for the second time to ask what the average GPA and PCAT of the last class.

She told me 2.75, pcat in the 50s, and she said the school received 800 and some apps.

I was surprised and called her again to ask b/c those stats are contradictory to what aacp says.

Then i asked her if the school received so many apps why such low stats compared to rest of the country.

She paused, thought about it... and said "it's a new school".

HMMM.

What do u guys think? Is she lying?

Members don't see this ad.

She was probably referring to the lowest GPA and PCAT score considered. That would be very low average for any pharmacy school, new or old.

Here is what I have learned:

average score for last year's entering class (2009) was 62 PCAT and 3.2 CGPA. It is information which is available on PharmCAS statistical data.

Members don't see this ad :)
i clearly asked for average both times. She clearly said average both times.

The numbers provided from pharmcas make sense.

i clearly asked for average both times. She clearly said average both times.

The numbers provided from pharmcas make sense.

I am at UACP for my interview which is tommorrow. I can tell you that given the area it is understandable why the gpa and pcat scores are so low compared with other schools. I think for many students they only go here because it is their last chance. If you look on other forums in this website, many students that got accepted at UACP and other schools, picked the other schools. It is a very small town with really not much to do. Hope this helps...let me know if you have further questions!!!

Don't get me wrong.... its a nice town but its not for everybody!!!!!

you are right it is very remote. I thought poeple were kidding when they said it was a rural area but I admit they were totally correct

I happened to mention this website to one of the faculties there at UACP this morning and she told me that someone started a thread that was not true about the school. So I guess this must be it!!! Be careful what you say on here.

The average GPA for last year was 3.3, not 2.75. I don't know if I would say that I would only go here cause I don't get accepted elsewhere. UACP has a nice program.

1.) 3-year program
2.) block schedule
3.) students do rotations at the end of their FIRST YEAR and EVERY OTHER WEDNESDAY!!! How nice is that?

I must admit that I was shocked when I saw the town, but the people there are sooooo nice. My car broke down today on my way home (just my luck) and the guys fixed it for free. Thank goodness cause I was so scared!!!

It was a good experience overall minus the getting lost for 2 hours getting there, and 1 hour back...hmmm...they just need better signs for the roads.

I happened to mention this website to one of the faculties there at UACP this morning and she told me that someone started a thread that was not true about the school. So I guess this must be it!!! Be careful what you say on here.

I think u should mention to the faculties that the same woman who I was transferred to twice, named Sheri(i believe), has given me this info.

Call and ask her monday... It's a simple question. I didn't lie about her answers.

I have no reason to make this up and instead of threating me about what I say, u need to see for urself when u call to aska simple question. I called twice before I made this post.

I think u should mention to the faculties that the same woman who I was transferred to twice, named Sheri(i believe), has given me this info.

Call and ask her monday... It's a simple question. I didn't lie about her answers.

I have no reason to make this up and instead of threating me about what I say, u need to see for urself when u call to aska simple question.

I want to make this clear, nobody is threating anybody in here. I simply just said that it's best to be careful what you type on the internet since you don't know who might read it and it might work against you. I didn't even know she knew about the website when I mentioned how it has helped me preparing for the interview.

I don't know about the average PCAT for last year, but I know the average GPA was around 3.2-3.3. It is not a bad average, but it is low compared to other schools since most schools have an average of 3.5 and even higher. I think they have a good program, the only problem is the location. But look on the positive side, you can do your rotations for the third year somewhere else.

I simply just said that it's best to be careful what you type on the internet since you don't know who might read it and it might work against you.

I could care less, all i did was report what i was told. Seems like they should monitor what their admission reps tell the callers.

i have a friend who keeps telling me not to trust sites such as these. anyone can simply post random news. however, something inside of me is keeping me hooked to this website.. obviously, a part of me believes its authenticity. its interesting to hear what others have to say. keeps me out of the dark since none of my friends are applying to pharmacy school. i appreciate your opinion.

I want to make this clear, nobody is threating anybody in here. I simply just said that it's best to be careful what you type on the internet since you don't know who might read it and it might work against you. I didn't even know she knew about the website when I mentioned how it has helped me preparing for the interview.

I don't know about the average PCAT for last year, but I know the average GPA was around 3.2-3.3. It is not a bad average, but it is low compared to other schools since most schools have an average of 3.5 and even higher. I think they have a good program, the only problem is the location. But look on the positive side, you can do your rotations for the third year somewhere else.

i have a friend who keeps telling me not to trust sites such as these. anyone can simply post random news. however, something inside of me is keeping me hooked to this website.. obviously, a part of me believes its authenticity. its interesting to hear what others have to say. keeps me out of the dark since none of my friends are applying to pharmacy school. i appreciate your opinion.

i think
1. most of these posters here are better than average applicant
2. some might lie about their stats

i agree.. some may lie about their stats. some may be embarrased, some may not take this page seriously and not realize the effect they are having on others. nonetheless, sdn is full of all around people. some outstandingly superb, and others who are just looking for a little guidance. that was and still is me half the time. of course, once accepted, most people leave the site. i guess theres no need to hang around talking about the "what ifs" and "oh nos" of pharmacy admissions if youre accepted.

I don't know why people would lie about their stats. Nobody knows who they are and nobody really cares. But it seems as if the people in here do have really good stats and most of them apply really early!!! Most of the schools receive about 1000 applications each year, but we don't have that many people here.

I don't know why people would lie about their stats. Nobody knows who they are and nobody really cares. But it seems as if the people in here do have really good stats and most of them apply really early!!! Most of the schools receive about 1000 applications each year, but we don't have that many people here.

lets see.. estimate about 800 applied to uacp.. maybe less, maybe more. about 170 were interviewed thus far? 30ish were accepted.. lets just say for estimation sake 20 were rejected. the rest are on the wait list. lets also add in those who were accepted, but declined the offer because they were intimidated by the town's location. well that leaves the rest of us pretty good odds don't you think? im sure those who were accepted and sent the deposit are indicating uacp as their first choice. theres still time to hear from other schools, but they chose to go to uacp.