This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BUS1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
dat

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Helly Guys,
I'm new to the thread, so please excuse me if I opened this thread in the wrong place or section!

I took the DAT today, and I scored:

PAT: 18
QR: 19
RC: 18
BIO: 17
GC: 16
OC: 19
Total Science: 18
Academic Average: 18

Also, my:
Overall GPA: 3.49
Science GPA: 3.40
Dental experience: I have many, many, and many hours of shadowing and assisting. I volunteer at a community dental clinic as well as work as a dental assistant at a dental office (Without dental assisting degree - got lucky).

I have heard that some schools have a cut-off of 17 for each of the sections. I thought about re-taking the exam mid-October, however, I am confident I will not get a higher score because I will have a full-time job (35 hours/week), and I will be taking 15 credits in the Fall (MY LAST SEMESTER!!) - meaning no time to study...

If someone can relate to my situation, how many/which schools did you apply to (In the US of course)? Did you get any responses? Did you have the opportunity to attend interviews? etc..!

Thanks!

Have you considered a student loan to temporarily allow you to study for the DAT without working a full-time job and a full course load? You could potentially still get in with these scores, but it's going to be pretty challenging...

Thank you for your reply! I actually did think about taking off work completely, but I am unable to leave my job for personal reasons. However, I will be graduating a semester early this Fall and I would be able to retake it during the spring. Either way, I would be too late for this round of applications!

If anyone is in the same boat, share your thoughts/experience...

Thank you for your reply! I actually did think about taking off work completely, but I am unable to leave my job for personal reasons. However, I will be graduating a semester early this Fall and I would be able to retake it during the spring. Either way, I would be too late for this round of applications!

If anyone is in the same boat, share your thoughts/experience...

My GPA was around the same as yours, but my DAT was higher. If money is tight, I would suggest retaking in the spring when you have time to study and applying the following cycle, rather than risk applying and wasting thousands this cycle without an acceptance. There's really no rush in starting. Dental school will always be there.

Reactions: 1 users
It's possible. That GC will hold you back because it is under 17. I would retake it only because of that. Plenty of people do get in with an 18AA as the application isn't only about a DAT and GPA score.

Status
Not open for further replies.