My DAT Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abogler612

"great set of mamelons"
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AA 21
Science 22
PAT 19

BIO 20
CHE 25
ORGO 21

RC 20
QR 16

Bio Major (at SUNY Stony Brook)
CUM GPA 3.80 (I got a 2.7 my first semester at college at
Fordham University but after that i transferred to
SUNY SB and have mainitned a 3.90 since)
Science GPA 3.85

Applied to Stony Brook, NYU, Columbia, UConn, and University of Maryland

SUNYSB is my 1st choice but lets see if i can get any scholarship $$ from them

I just finished my DAT yesturday. i was pretty shocked when i saw my scores becuase i got a 16 on the QR, granted i almost passed out during the section becuase i felt sick as hell but i never socred below a 22 on the top score QR and i thought the DAT QR was much easier then the Top score. A 16 in QR is especially embarassing becasue i actually teach an advanced algebra class at the college i go to. Overall though im pretty happy with my scores.

I thought the bio section was odd, some of the questions were very in depth (like naming specific all the intermidates of glycolysis) and the classification is daunting to memorize but overall it was very similar to top score

the chem section was a joke i finished it in 15 minutes. top score was much harder, i guess i got really lucky with this one because i heard some people complaining of a terribly hard chem section

the orgo had 3-4 challenging problems but overall was pretty easy and very similar to top score. Know your naming, MP, and BP trends they are easy free points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reading comp i thought was easier then top score. on top score i never scored above a 18 on the RC and was frequently getting 17's but the passages were generally straight foward and one of them was was so easy i didnt even have to take notes becuase almost all the questions were about the authors feeling about the subject and not about the actual subject matter.

The PAT i though was very similar to the top score except for the angles (10 out of the 15 angle questios contain choices that look identical to eachother) and the shape folding was slightly more challenging then the top score. but overall i felt very prepared.

and then we come to the QR. i swear my brain must have shut down here becuase the problems seemed so easy except for 3-4 but again time is always a problem with the QR- i just dont know what happened to me

i studied about 5-8 hours a day for 3 mo. for this test and found it to be a beast, but a conquerable beast if you work at it. I used the Kaplan DAT book for the sciences and the Barrons book for the PAT. and of course i supplemented the sciences with my college textbooks.

Good luck to all who are yet to take this monster.

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations!

those are great scores and no one really cares about QR. you are well on your way to dental school. now enjoy your summer!!