My DAT Retake: 20AA (21TS & 16RC) to 25AA (25TS& 25RC).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Varicocele

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to share my DAT retake experience with all of you. The reason I took the DAT again was I felt it was holding my application back, and I KNEW I could do better. I did not feel it was a true representation of my knowledge in the subject areas. Some say DAT doesn't matter THAT much: "if you have good extracurriculars, they can balance out you app", or "a high GPA can help you in some situations." Well, I found that may be true for some schools. HOWEVER, I noticed that with the higher tear schools, I was not getting much attention-->(Meanwhile I am a D1 athlete, attend a top university, have publications, and have a solid GPA (3.75). I could not help but think my DAT was holding me back from getting interviews!
After I retook the DAT in LATE October of this cycle (I thought it was too late), but I had interviews from some great dental schools within 2 weeks of submitting my Unofficial Scores. Essentially, the message is, the DAT does matter. SO, I want to share my experience retaking it if people find themselves in similar situation: Maybe a good GPA, good extra curics, but frustrated with their DAT performance.

This post will address not only what I did to study, but HOW. Knowing how to study, not just the materials you need to use is very important. First, here is what happened haha:

TAKE 1: TAKE 2/ CHANGE
20AA -----> 25AA (+5)
20Bio -----> 22Bio (+2)
22GC -----> 30GC (+8)
22OC -----> 26OC (+4)
19PAT -----> 24PAT (+5)
16RC -----> 25RC (+10)
18QR -----> 22QR (+4)

Why did I decide to retake? What changed?

1. I KNEW that I could do better. This is very important. The first time I took the test, I had YET to take Biochem and General Chemistry II (I skipped over GC II b/c I transferred). The first time I took the DAT, not having those classes was detrimental. I spent a HUGE amount of time LEARNING the information for general chemistry (& some biochemistry). Thus, the first time I took the test, I was MEMORIZING information and formulas rather than learning the concepts. This was terrible because I did not get to spend as much time on areas I am weaker in, such as Reading Comp and the PAT. The second take, after I had taken these classes, I was able to APPLY the CONCEPTS, not just memorize questions and information.

TAKE HOME 1: It is VERY important to finish all of your prerequisite classes. This will give a nice backbone when you begin studying for the DAT. When I studied for the DAT a second time, knowing the concepts made it 5x easier to learn and answer questions. Memorizing info will not help you get a crazy score, only understanding it will.

2. You never know was version of the test you will get. I cannot deny the first DAT I took was HARD. My PAT section had floating boxes. My QR section was 90% statistical ratios, NO geometry, NO probability, NO algebra...it was really tough. My RC section was IMPOSSIBLE. I had two passages roughly based on research material I actually saw published in Dental Magazines later that week--I was not able to understand half the vocabulary. Nonetheless, I was frustrated because I always heard that using Bootcamp, Destroyer, etc. will prepare you for these sections. Unfortunately, the version of the test I got was tricky. The SECOND VERSION was WAY easier. My PAT had no rock keyholes and basic TFE. My RC passages were much more straight forward, and my math was actually very closely aligned with the Bootcamp! As for the sciences, they were just as hard haha.

TAKE HOME 2: Because you never know what version of the test/question you will get you need to study EVERYTHING. In addition to questions listed above, the second time I took the DAT I also had tricky questions on my sciences section. For example, on bio, i remember practicing ONE QUESTION on ONE TOPIC. One my second test, I had THREE Questions on it. Like I said, you never know what version you will get.

3. I did Not spend enough time studying the first time. Take 1, I devoted 1 month and a half. BUT the issue was, there is SO MUCH information, half of my time I spent studying I was only organizing information. This is 100% true for the biology section. There is information in Destroyer, Bootcamp, Feralis notes, etc. ALL of it is valuable. While I got through all the material in Bio, Gen Chem and Orgo before the exam, I did not leave enough time to go back over it. It is SO IMPORTANT to go over information 2x or even 3x in all of the sources, especially for the sciences: Destroyer, Bootcamp in particular are your best bet.

TAKE HOME 3: Dedicate at least 2.5 months in my opinion. You will realize that the first month, you are going through material for the first time, making lots of flashcards, and organizing info. This is NOT studying. Once you form a database of information for yourself (I made a ton of flashcards), THEN go back over questions, writing down what you go wrong and why. It is imperative to have this process of going over everything TWICE, because the second time you will be drilling home concepts. Gather, learn, then drill home (by writing).

So how did I study the second time versus the first time??
TAKE 1 (20AA): Studied for 1.2 Months
TAKE 2 (25AA): Studied for 2.5 weeks while in school (LOL)

Quick note on my second study session--> I wrote EVERYTHING. Every answer I got wrong, I looked at the answer, then from memory wrote it in my own words. It is proven the brain learns best by writing, NOT glancing at a notecard or answer in the back of the book. Reading/thinking about info is PASSIVE learning, you will not retain the information as well. Writing is ACTIVE learning, this is BEST. You will immediately realize what you don't truly know, and learn the concepts faster by writing everything. In the two weeks I studied for my take 2, I filled an entire 3 course college notebook just with writing.

Bio: (20->22)
I studied the same both times. I used Bootcamp and Destroyer. However, go over ALL the questions so you have a solid database of material. I made flash cards for everything I did not know once I ran through a question. BUT, the big difference was what I listed above. The first time I only made the flashcards. The second time, I already had my database of information, and I did not even look once at them. I actually just bought a huge notebook, ran the questions, then went back and wrote down what I did not know. THE KEY: write, write, write, and write more. With bio, writing your wrong answers (no, not making notecards or marking questions to come back) is HUGE.

Gen. Chem (22->30)
Studied the same, but taking the class over summer before I took the second time was a big help. Used destroyer to learn the concepts, then practiced on Bootcamp for speed and drilling them home. Only comment is like I said above: take the classes BEFORE you take the DAT. The second time around was super EASY because I did not waste time memorizing or learning, but rather understanding.

Orgo (22->26)
I have always been good at orgo; I actually had more confidence in this section then gen chem lol. BUT, my advice is flashcards. For the reactions, make flash cards and just memorize (yes going against myself here with the concept-based learning haha). Use the BOOTCAMP videos to make all of the cards. It is organized beautifully. I broke the information and reactions up into sections: alkanes,enes,ynes, alcohols, aromatics, ketones, SN/Eliminations, etc. Add the rest of the unique reactions as you go through the questions (most unique ones are in destroyer). In the end, same concept as bio section: write down the reactions and info in your notebook by memory once you get a question wrong.

PAT (19->24)
This is honestly practice, but after taking the DAT twice, the BEST PRACTICE is Bootcamp. Crack DAT is a good introduction, but too basic. Bootcamp is your best bet to nail everything down. For me, after I learned the angles (frustrating), boxes, and hole punch, the hardest sections were the TFE and Keyhole. I was practicing daily up until the day before my exam. Also, like I said above, you never know the version of the test. I had no rock holes my second time around.

Reading Comp (16->25) :O What did I change??
Honestly, not even sure how this happened. But, I can say the first time take, i only finished 50% of the questions!!!!!! It was very frustrating, I am a slow reader. But, I changed my method for the second time around and it was faster (& way better obviously). For practice, BOOTCAMP is BEST. The tests are super HARD in my opinion, which is good.
The second time I was pracicing, I scored on the first 4 tests: 19, LESS than 15, LESS than 15, and 17. I was so scared for the DAT RC even the second time around. BUT the actual DAT the passages were WAY easier. SO what did I change to go from 16->25? Here are my thoughts on what methods work and don't:
1- Search and Destroyer --> NO! Unless you are a pro-scanner, you will have NO layout of the article. For the denser, more complex ones, they often ask you to compare ideas and theories. You would be screwed if you did not read it. It can also be hard to locate where in the passage a question is asking, thus wasting time.
2-Outline paragraph/sentence paragraph method--> HUGE NO. You have NO IDEA what questions they will ask you. Outlining each paragraph (writing down a key idea/sentence) is a giant waste of time. Often, the DAT asks question about a particular sentence or set of information within a paragraph--and NO not always the main concept of the paragraph. In my experience, what you think is the important info in a paragraph and what the DAT actually asks you often do not align.
3-Heres what I did:
1. I read the questions, and wrote down keywords/unique words from each question if applicable FIRST. Reading the questions gave me a sense of what I needed to look for when I read the article.
2. I skimmed the article, but strictly for structure only. I highlighted the keywords if I saw them as I went. By reading the questions first, I knew generally what information they would ask. Thus, if i came across a paragraph I didn't recognize any keywords in, I SKIPPED reading it. I did not want to waste time reading about the "history of the jaw" for example if there were no questions on it.
3. By highlighting the keywords when I read/skimmed, I could QUICKLY return to them in the passage. Many of the questions on the DAT are too complex to answer without referencing the passage. So, by highlighting the keywords I read from the questions, once I came across a particular question, I would scan the article for that highlighted keyword. This sped up my "search and destroy" astronomically.
4. The last thing I did was answer the broader, comparison questions, or questions I did not find any keywords for in the passage.
Doing this method sped up my reading, and allowed me to answer questions the second time around more efficiently. Maybe this can help you.

QR (18->22)
This section was mainly due to a different version of the test. The first time, like I said, had a ton of statistics on it and was impossible for me (and I actually consider myself good at math.) BUT, the most representative was Bootcamp for my second time. HOWEVER I also recommend doing Math Destroyer (forget the Destroyer Math section, I mean the actual Math destroyer). The problems are tough, but it will help teach you to think outside the box. My first version, i actual felt was similar to some of the questions in Math Destroyer tbh. Nonetheless, just practice and learn the essential formulas for certain probabilities, trig, etc.--Bootcamp covers this nicely.

Concluding thoughts:
Thank you for DAT Destroyer & especially Ari for the help second time around. I was very frustrated and debated long and hard whether or not to retake the DAT, but, fortunately it worked out great. I am happy I got a chance to show my true knowledge in these subject areas. If anyone has any more specific questions or you find yourself in a situation like me, feel free to message. I really hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Impressive! I have a few questions and appreciate if you help me on that.

Quick background - I'm a non-traditional student. (undergrad out of the US, Masters from USC both in biomedical engineering). Now, I'm taking pre-requisites (all science courses + one year English) and planning to take DAT in June 2018.

- Does biochemistry background help on DAT?
- I was planning to take biochemistry right after DAT and put it as a "planned course to take" in my application. Would it impact on my chance of getting interviews?
- When did you submit your application after the first DAT? Did you retake DAT on the same application cycle?

Thank you,

Roya

Impressive! I have a few questions and appreciate if you help me on that.

Quick background - I'm a non-traditional student. (undergrad out of the US, Masters from USC both in biomedical engineering). Now, I'm taking pre-requisites (all science courses + one year English) and planning to take DAT in June 2018.

- Does biochemistry background help on DAT?
- I was planning to take biochemistry right after DAT and put it as a "planned course to take" in my application. Would it impact on my chance of getting interviews?
- When did you submit your application after the first DAT? Did you retake DAT on the same application cycle?

Thank you,

Roya

Hey roya,

1. Biochemistry: in my experience, I think it does matter. I found my 2nd attempt after I took biochem, it helped solidly concepts in organic and general chemistry (acid/base, amino acids, rxn mechanisms), as well as some biology concepts (I had a couple questions on molecular structure, such as hemoglobin). Overall, biochem helped expand my knowledge base so that I could apply concepts and reason towards answers I did not know—beyond just memorization or familiarity with common question types.

2. In terms of interviews, after I retook my DAT, they started rolling in. There is only a couple top schools I have not heard from. I think if you are missing one prerequisite, it is not a big deal. If you have a solid gpa and extracurricular, the last key is that DAT, especially if you want interviews from top schools.

3. I submitted my app by August 1 (once my committee letter was complete). I retook my DAT this same cycle, October 25. I had a couple interviews before my retake, and also have got several more after my retake, especially from better schools. In my opinion, if you have a very solid app with a good DAT, as long as your app is complete by November 1, the good schools WILL find you. I was fortunate however to have a very solid DAT retake which may have made my late date retake less if a factor.

Final: it was worth retaking the DAT late this same cycle for me, I think. I did very well and I think my low 16 RC was holding me back, especially for the better schools. Any other questions, feel free to message or DM me!

Great breakdown and congrats! Best breakdown I’ve seen in a while.

Thanks, much appreciated! I tried to make it more conceptual and thought provoking how to approach studying and test taking versus just listing materials I used. Glad you took note.