My dental career journal... input welcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneLife1979

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start with a disclaimer...
This is really long and I don't really expect anyone to read it. Its really just for me to get some things off of my mind and to help me organize my thoughts. But you're welcome to nonetheless.

My wife has been recommending that I look into going back to school a long time now, but the other night I finally heard her out.

Although I'm 30 yrs old, I've created a career over the last 5 yrs, and I have a mediocre GPA from an Associate's degree I've decided to pursue a career in dentistry.

I'm not ready to share this information with anyone and everyone yet, but as helpful as this community looks I'm looking forward to building some relationships here. I'm sure there will be questions along the way and the support system here will be beneficial.

Here's the plan...
My first semester will be Spring 2011
It's going to be challenging since I have my A.S. and all of the easy stuff is done. I'm starting with BIO101 and CHEM101 and I'm rolling into more and more challenging biology courses from there, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.
I'll be 33 by the time I apply to dental school at MCV/VCU in 2012 to start Fall of 2013 I'll be 34.
I'll finish up my B.S. in biology with a heavy emphasis on biology May 2013.
I'll get A's across the board and that will bring my GPA up to 3.3 by the time I apply after 3 semesters of 15-17 credits each.
I'll study effectively for and do well on the DAT.
I'll finish dental school by the time I'm 38 in May of 2018.

Like some of the posts I've read from other "non-traditionals" on this forum I'm excited about the journey. At this point in my life I see that is the best step. I'm happy with my career as a finance manager at a car dealership, but at the same time there are many strong reasons I would love to pursue a career in dentistry.
-Personal growth and development.
-Personal pride and accomplishment.
-The opportunity to really help people and make a difference that not everyone is willing to commit to.
-The income potential along with better hours is definitely a pull.

I'm not saying its the end all be all, but for me right now I can see how it will really help me become the person I've always wanted to be and I really already am. Although I enjoy what I'm doing now, I don't see how it would afford the same benefits. Seeing this opportunity for what it is I think I would always feel that I'd missed out on something with regret if I didn't pursue it. Besides as my user id says we only get one chance.

I know it won't be easy. There will be so many challenges along the way, but how is that so different from the challenges I'm facing now? No matter what path I choose I can see challenges so why not pursue something that matters.

To further complicate things I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old and my wife is already finishing up her undergraduate work toward a degree in Pediatrics. There are so many reasons the timing couldn't be better.
-My wife is doing so well so she is looking forward to showing me the template to her study habits, the professors to take, her attitude, and time management and of course I can't wait to learn from her.
-Being 30 yrs old now I've come a long way since I failed out of engineering school. My drive, my focus, and my clarity will be so effective.

I can't wait to right the wrongs. The person who flunked so many years ago, who had no study habits, and was so undisciplined I'm happy to say is gone and now its time to really be the man I am.

If you've made it this far I appreciate it and any input is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I have actually come up with a question or request.

Is there anyone going through these forums who has made it to the other side?

I would love to see some input from someone non-traditional who gave everything up, pursued and finished a degree in medicine, and is happy or not about the results. Or even if you know someone like this please share.

Thanks

Essentially after working a few different jobs the past 5 years (I was a firefighter, auditor, plant supervisor, you name it) I realized something was still missing, and I wanted to work in healthcare to help better people's lives. So I did a bunch of research and came across dentistry and began to shadow. I knew a lot about medicine already because my dad is a physician, and I have shadowed a ton of physicians in my life (plus I was premed all through college). Dentistry just gave me a much better feeling than medicine. All the doctors I spent time with seemed burned out by medicine and all the red tape they have to go through these days (and it is only getting worse). Also, being a family guy I definitely felt dentistry would give me a lot more time with my family (love time with my little boy ) over medicine and again, I found it more interesting due to working with your hands, running your own business, longer patient interaction, etc... Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Kceb83

I got a lot out of this post and I hope Kceb83 doesn't mind me making a note of it. Thanks!