My dentist gave me the boot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SanOnofre2002

Huge member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not a thread seeking legal or treatment advice. A year ago after a teeth cleaning visit my dental office recommended $600 worth of fillings for some very small cavities. I didn't get the fillings and today after another teeth cleaning I was told I could no longer come back to their office since I was not following the treatment they recommended. I'm a little ticked because this office is the primary provider that my insurance (HMO) has assigned me to and I feel they're dumping me because I'm not paying for their expensive recommendations. The girl at the counter said it was because of "HMO reasons" that I was being booted. I'm not some problem patient that is causing headaches for the office. I've only been there 4 times in the past 4 years, each time for an exam and cleaning. I haven't caused any problems, I just sit there quietly and get my cleaning.
Can anyone tell me if this is an accepted practice of a dental office? Is it acceptable for them to deny future examinations and cleanings because I haven't gotten the fillings they recommend? If it's not, does anyone know of a California regulatory agency that I can register a complaint with? To me it appears as if they want to get rid of me for profit reasons.
Please don't hammer me for not getting the fillings or following their recommendations, I have reasons that I will not go into here. Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

This is not a thread seeking legal or treatment advice. A year ago after a teeth cleaning visit my dental office recommended $600 worth of fillings for some very small cavities. I didn't get the fillings and today after another teeth cleaning I was told I could no longer come back to their office since I was not following the treatment they recommended. I'm a little ticked because this office is the primary provider that my insurance (HMO) has assigned me to and I feel they're dumping me because I'm not paying for their expensive recommendations. The girl at the counter said it was because of "HMO reasons" that I was being booted. I'm not some problem patient that is causing headaches for the office. I've only been there 4 times in the past 4 years, each time for an exam and cleaning. I haven't caused any problems, I just sit there quietly and get my cleaning.
Can anyone tell me if this is an accepted practice of a dental office? Is it acceptable for them to deny future examinations and cleanings because I haven't gotten the fillings they recommend? If it's not, does anyone know of a California regulatory agency that I can register a complaint with? To me it appears as if they want to get rid of me for profit reasons.
Please don't hammer me for not getting the fillings or following their recommendations, I have reasons that I will not go into here. Thanks for any input.

I don't know anything about the regulatory aspect. But I know that some (many?) dentists get frustrated with patients who just want their cleanings and don't consider the dentists recommendation for other needed procedures. Some dentists won't give you the cleaning until after recommended procedures have been completed. It particularly pisses many dentists off when your reasons for not undergoing the treatment are because you think the dentist is just out to make bank off of you instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt as a health care provider.

Not wanting anything above a cleaning because you are suspicious your dentist is just trying to rip you off is enough to qualify as a problem patient in some dentists eyes. And you should know if you are HMO, there is a good chance your dentist makes more money off you not coming to his office than with you showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.