My dream is slipping away…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proxy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever since I was a child I have always wanted to be a doctor. I ask myself all the time why I really want to become a doctor, which has always resulted in the same answer….. I really don’t know why….I suppose it is because I really do enjoy helping people. Since the 11th grade I have been lurking around this forum, educating myself in what I have to do to succeed, in order to enter medical school. I am currently a freshman in college, and so far I am not doing a damn thing to help myself succeed.
My first semester GPA was a 1.6. D in biology 1, D in college algebra, B in Academic Writing, and a W for chemistry 1. I couldn’t believe this, I was angry at myself, my parents were angry, and it felt as if I let my academic advisor down, who was expecting big things from me ( who is also the head of the bio department). I thought that I just blew my chances of ever getting into a high tier medical school and that now I have to try and recover from this crappy GPA. Then I just said, don’t worry all you have to do is retake those course you have a D in, and your GPA should be alright…..

During the break I told myself I would not allow this to happen again, and guess what….It is. I have a calculus test tomorrow which I have not even studied for yet, and two chemistry lab reports due tomorrow which I haven’t even started yet. My studying habits suck, or should I say what studying habits. I have been telling myself every day to get my **** in order and yet I still don’t do anything to help myself…. I am about to start volunteering soon at my local hospital and also begin shadowing a orthopedic surgeon, and I ask myself why I should even bother if I can’t even get the grades yet.
I have a weeklong vacation next week, and if I don’t figure out what to do, or get my priorities straight, I’m afraid I might as well kiss my dream goodbye. Sorry to come on here and QQ like this, I’m just feeling a little lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Ever since I was a child I have always wanted to be a doctor. I ask myself all the time why I really want to become a doctor, which has always resulted in the same answer….. I really don’t know why….I suppose it is because I really do enjoy helping people. Since the 11th grade I have been lurking around this forum, educating myself in what I have to do to succeed, in order to enter medical school. I am currently a freshman in college, and so far I am not doing a damn thing to help myself succeed.
My first semester GPA was a 1.6. D in biology 1, D in college algebra, B in Academic Writing, and a W for chemistry 1. I couldn’t believe this, I was angry at myself, my parents were angry, and it felt as if I let my academic advisor down, who was expecting big things from me ( who is also the head of the bio department). I thought that I just blew my chances of ever getting into a high tier medical school and that now I have to try and recover from this crappy GPA. Then I just said, don’t worry all you have to do is retake those course you have a D in, and your GPA should be alright…..

During the break I told myself I would not allow this to happen again, and guess what….It is. I have a calculus test tomorrow which I have not even studied for yet, and two chemistry lab reports due tomorrow which I haven’t even started yet. My studying habits suck, or should I say what studying habits. I have been telling myself every day to get my **** in order and yet I still don’t do anything to help myself…. I am about to start volunteering soon at my local hospital and also begin shadowing a orthopedic surgeon, and I ask myself why I should even bother if I can’t even get the grades yet.
I have a weeklong vacation next week, and if I don’t figure out what to do, or get my priorities straight, I’m afraid I might as well kiss my dream goodbye. Sorry to come on here and QQ like this, I’m just feeling a little lost.

Step one: Avoid SDN like the plague.
Step two: Realize that with a science degree your future non-medical alternatives are extremely limited.
Step three: Panic (briefly).
Step four: Fight! Fight! Fight!
Step five: ???
Step six: Profit. Or med school.

In all seriousness, cut distractions and get to work. You've dug a pretty deep hole and it's time to start filling it.

You've dug a pretty deep hole and it's time to start filling it.

...don't start filling it until you get out.

you need to start taking your studies seriously. not studying at all and studying unsuccessfully are different problems and you need to figure out which (both?) is the problem for you.

and there's always the harsh reality that you may not be able to do it. from what you say, it sounds like being a doctor is just a childhood dream that is not really cultivated or founded on any real life experience.

whatever happens, it's not the end of the world. there are plenty of ways to help people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes. That's pretty rough. I don't know what's influencing your school performance but you've certainly got a lot to work through. I hope you can figure something out by talking with your parents, advisor, friends, etc.

I think you could still pull this off. If you were to graduate with 120 credit hours and your first 24 credits (assuming you don't have full semesters that go bad) are all Cs and the remaining 96 credits are an even mix of As and A-s that leaves you with a GPA of 3.48 which could get you into an MD school if you have a good MCAT and excellent ECs and it would show a huge improvement. If you manage to do not quite so well you could pursue a master's or go DO.

But it seems now your biggest worry is just passing, which you'll need no matter what career you choose. If thoughts of medical school helps you achieve more, then keep that goal in sight. If it's stressing you out so much that you can't study, then forget about it and just work on what's at hand. I know we can't understand your full situation here online, but I wish you the best.

You are having the symptoms of SDN disease. Such disease is a serious infection disease and it can be fetal to some pre-meds. Lower grades are the earliest symptom and you are encouraged to talk to your family doctor.

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Tennisball80 does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. Reliance on any information provided by Tennisball80, Tennisball80 employees, others appearing on the Site at the invitation of Tennisball80, or other visitors to the Site is solely at your own risk.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WyyfH8OH50[/YOUTUBE]

Ever since I was a child I have always wanted to be a doctor. I ask myself all the time why I really want to become a doctor, which has always resulted in the same answer….. I really don't know why….I suppose it is because I really do enjoy helping people. Since the 11th grade I have been lurking around this forum, educating myself in what I have to do to succeed, in order to enter medical school. I am currently a freshman in college, and so far I am not doing a damn thing to help myself succeed.
My first semester GPA was a 1.6. D in biology 1, D in college algebra, B in Academic Writing, and a W for chemistry 1. I couldn't believe this, I was angry at myself, my parents were angry, and it felt as if I let my academic advisor down, who was expecting big things from me ( who is also the head of the bio department). I thought that I just blew my chances of ever getting into a high tier medical school and that now I have to try and recover from this crappy GPA. Then I just said, don't worry all you have to do is retake those course you have a D in, and your GPA should be alright…..

During the break I told myself I would not allow this to happen again, and guess what….It is. I have a calculus test tomorrow which I have not even studied for yet, and two chemistry lab reports due tomorrow which I haven't even started yet. My studying habits suck, or should I say what studying habits. I have been telling myself every day to get my **** in order and yet I still don't do anything to help myself…. I am about to start volunteering soon at my local hospital and also begin shadowing a orthopedic surgeon, and I ask myself why I should even bother if I can't even get the grades yet.
I have a weeklong vacation next week, and if I don't figure out what to do, or get my priorities straight, I'm afraid I might as well kiss my dream goodbye. Sorry to come on here and QQ like this, I'm just feeling a little lost.

Let me be sincerely honest with you here...

First thing I would do if I were you is change my major. Get a business degree of some sorts. In fact, take a year or two break from science classes all together. This way you will have a solid "plan B" if medical school does not work out for you.

Next, if you are doing well in your business classes and raising your GPA... Consider retaking the science classes you did not pass as electives later in your college career. You should be older, more poised, and your study habits should be in check. When you start Ochem, cramming will get you F's... Not D's.

In times like these you should give up all electives, volunteer work, and social time to reevaluate what you want out of life. If you put the effort in I'm sure you are capable of making it.

Ever since I was a child I have always wanted to be a doctor. I ask myself all the time why I really want to become a doctor, which has always resulted in the same answer….. I really don’t know why….I suppose it is because I really do enjoy helping people.

It's great that you want to become a doctor, but...think of a better reason. Can you seriously think of a job that doesn't involve helping people? Sheesh...and people wonder why there's a perception of doctors as arrogant people.

Doctor: Oh, I chose this job because I really enjoy helping people. You know, unlike any other job out there.

No offense intended! I'm just annoyed at the perception of a medical career being placed on a pedestal for everyone to worship or something.

It sounds like you already know what the problem is, but you can't seem to right the ship. Unless your question pertains to specific advice about study habits, there's not much anyone here can do for you.

Maybe you're ADHD. Orrr maybe you could stop getting sloshed every night and spend some more time getting those grades that you need for your "dream."

who am i to judge or lecture you... but i'm going to say something anyway. people will call me harsh but i don't care.

upon first reading your post i thought you were working hard and just having a difficult time transitioning. reading further down, i realize you were just screwing yourself. this is your own fault, get your **** together and start studying. what the hell do you do all day if you have a midterm the next day and haven't even touched it. do you at least have any worthwhile hobbies? go to the gym?

at any rate...

i was in a similar situation as you starting freshman year, granted it wasn't as bad (i ended it with a 2.8 or so). i procrastinated and etc, but i got my **** together. come second year i set goals and deadlines for myself... aiming straight for 4.0's and kicking ass in upper division courses. it worked. however, in your case, you need to stop complainig about it and just....

get your **** together. no one can help you out of this but yourself. i know this was on the harsh side, but i will be happy if sharing my experiences will set someone on track again.

Allow me to give you some realistic advice:

Give up son, you're done! Get an easier major and do something else. D's and a W, and you're about to do it again? Med school isn't happening.

You should withdraw from all classes this semester and figure it out. At this rate, you have zero chance at med school...a full year of this kind of academic failure will all but kill your chances.

I thought that I just blew my chances of ever getting into a high tier medical school...

i just reread this part..."top tier" worries are the least of your problems.

i know D's don't count for pre-req completion, but can you even graduate with a sub-2.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you get your **** together asap you have no chance at med school. Even now you are going to have a hell of a time getting in, but unless you have the personal drive, which you don't, to do well for the rest of college, you are proper ****ed. Unless you manage to pull something out of your ass in the next few weeks and get good grades this semester, I would take the advice of other people and start looking for another career that you will enjoy. If med school is something that you really want in the future you can always come back, but at this point in time you don't have the motivation to get into to med school, nonetheless get out of med school.

You're not ready for college. Its that simple. Take a year or two off, get everything in order, the partying out of your system, and realize that college is mandatory to advance in life.

Come back in two years, repeat those classes and take college seriously.

Thank you for the comments. The last few really hit me hard, which is what I needed. This semester I'm averaging a 3.0 in all my classes, however this upcoming calc test will lower that back down. I am thinking of dropping this calc class before it gets out of hand, get my **** together and finish strong with my other classes.

This is all my fault and I take full responsibility. My actions my first semester resulted in that 1.6. And these past 20 minutes I took care of one of the major reasons why I was being held back. Now I need to work on the others.

I KNOW I can get my **** together in a week now that I eliminated that major causes of my lack of motivation, which I do not want to share. I know I can finish this semester with at least 3.0 maybe 3.5 if I withdraw from this calc course, which seems like a viable option at this time.

My schools policy on retaking a course states that the Higher grade I get is the one that is factored in my overall GPA. So wont retaking those 2 courses which I got a D in fix that low GPA? or am I way off?

This is a wake up call, and I needed the harsh comments. Thank you and sorry for my crappy writing, not in the greatest mood atm....

My schools policy on retaking a course states that the Higher grade I get is the one that is factored in my overall GPA. So wont retaking those 2 courses which I got a D in fix that low GPA?
You've been on this site since 11th grade and are still laboring under delusions like this?

Study habits may not be the problem here...this is more like 75 IQ territory.

it will increase your gpa from your school, but NOT for AMCAS, which considers both grades. D.O. school will replace the first grade with the second, which is why D.O. may still be an option if you get your act together.

I think you should go back to basics and figure out what you really want to do.

One of the reasons your probably doing bad is because you dont care.

Its human nature, I have the feeling that you dont really know why you want to be a doctor so you dont feel the drive to succeed at it.

I didnt start school knowing I wanted to be a dr, and when I didnt know what I wanted to do school was just a burden. It sounds like the same thing is happening to you.

Forget about just doing well in your classes. College is a time to discover yourself and what you wanna do. Figure that out and motivation wont be such a big problem.

I really don't mean to be a jerk, but if you got a D in college algebra do you think it's wise to move up to calc? I figured you would probably retake college algebra first.

My schools policy on retaking a course states that the Higher grade I get is the one that is factored in my overall GPA. So wont retaking those 2 courses which I got a D in fix that low GPA? or am I way off?

On the application, you're required to list all your grades, even if the school replaced them. All grades are counted for your AMCAS application, not just the retakes. If you apply to osteopathic schools, their application allows grade replacement so your GPA for those schools will be higher than your GPA for MD schools.

On the application, you're required to list all your grades, even if the school replaced them. All grades are counted for your AMCAS application, not just the retakes. If you apply to osteopathic schools, their application allows grade replacement so your GPA for those schools will be higher than your GPA for MD schools.

Yea, someone else said this too, but if you retake your D's and get an A it should be somewhere around a B.

Yea, someone else said this too, but if you retake your D's and get an A it should be somewhere around a B.

But both are factored in is the point. Med schools see both grades. Say a D is a 1.0 and an A is a 4.0. Your GPA for that class (Biology) would be a 2.5. If you screw up other classes like that, you're looking at a pretty low GPA, no matter what you get on retake.

But both are factored in is the point. Med schools see both grades. Say a D is a 1.0 and an A is a 4.0. Your GPA for that class (Biology) would be a 2.5. If you screw up other classes like that, you're looking at a pretty low GPA, no matter what you get on retake.

Hypothetically, if the OP retakes the D and gets an A is it factored into AMCAS as 4 credits of the class with a 2.5 or 8 credits of class with a 2.5 (assuming the course was initially 4 cr)

Hypothetically, if the OP retakes the D and gets an A is it factored into AMCAS as 4 credits of the class with a 2.5 or 8 credits of class with a 2.5 (assuming the course was initially 4 cr)

Here's what it says:

Bio 101 (4 credits): D
Bio 101R (4 credits): A

At the end of the application, it's all added together for a final GPA. Med schools will see both grades and both grades will factor into the GPA. So for this GPA, it would be something like Bio 101 (8 credits): 2.5, but it would be broken down the way I did above.

R = retake

It's a 4cr D and a 4cr A. No averaging going on with AMCAS.

My preceptor listened to a 10 minute rant by an irate cuban woman today about her arthritis and how she wanted bloodwork done for it. Even after he explained to her that bloodwork will only show rheumatoid issues, lyme disease, or gout -- all of which are systemic issues -- and it couldn't be any of them because the pain (which was now gone anyway) had only been in her hip.

you sure this is your dream? how did you know that when you were a child?

then he mused to himself out loud in front of the patient that he needed to go to "the tenth floor or something" because he said, pointing to the window, that he tried jumping out this one but it didn't work.

im not joking

1.) You whill know "why" after you submerse yourself in shadowing, clinical, community service experiences.

2.) Only you can change your study habits. You are only hurting yourself by doing NOTHING to change and then complaining about it.

It really is not as drastic as you think. You just need to do a little bit everyday. I promise you will be amazed if you just dedicate 1-2 hrs a day.

The dream is not real unless you are actively working towards it. Get in some clinical volunteering. This will answer the "why" and also motivate you to improve the study habits. Self-motivation is the key. GOOD LUCK!!!

Do what I did: take a year off and get a job doing manual labor. You'll come back more focused and with an appreciation of college because you worked such a crappy job.

Check out nursing.

Am I allowed to say that some people aren't smart enough to be physicians? I feel like I should, because, statistically, at least 75% aren't. If there were a pre-"eminent physicist" forum, would I be expected to hold my tongue and say that the only thing between a 1.8GPA and a Nobel Prize is hard work? It's not. Let's be honest.

Am I allowed to say that some people aren't smart enough to be physicians?

To say that, coupled with your advice to the OP to look into nursing, would be to imply that you know who is and who isn't. That, IMO, is much more arrogant and condescending than holding your tongue and not presuming to know who is and who isn't smart enough to become a physician.

That, IMO, is much more arrogant and condescending than holding your tongue and not presuming to know who is and who isn't smart enough to become a physician.

The OP got a D in algebra. I think that's pretty telling.

and you're a d*ckhead. You dont know the OPs whole situation. If you dont study you typically get crap grades...plain and simple. Stop boozing and get serious. There are 30 hours on the weekends you can study. If you really want something, do what it takes to get it....otherwise stop wasting our time about how you "really really want to be a doctor" but don't want to put in the required work.

I slacked off in undergrad too...now I'm finishing my M.S. program with a 3.7+...you still have 3 years of undergrad, so get your s*it together....AND GET OFF OF SDN, FACEBOOK, MYSPACE, TWITTER, OR WHATEVER OTHER TIME WASTERS YOU HAVE.

The OP got a D in algebra. I think that's pretty telling.

Tell that to the physicians out there who didn't do so hot in undergrad. I personally know of one who's doing residency at Mayo. He had a 2.6 GPA in undergrad -- many Ds and Fs -- went into the military, then went back and did a post-bacc, got into an allopathic school and just graduated last year.

No two people have the same story. You don't know all the ins and outs of the OP's situation so why would you want to crush his/her dream?

I don't understand threads like these that are getting pretty common around here. People post that medicine is their ONLY path for some cliche, surface-deep reason, that it was revealed to them while still in the womb of their mothers, and that they know they need to study but don't want to study and end up with unsurprising results. What's the reason for making these threads??? You want people to hold hands with you and sing kumbaya and give you an attaboy pat on the back with a reassuring, "everyone can be doctors, never listen to naysayers, I repeat, everyone can get an MD because [insert unique situation here but will never happen to you unless you do the obvious- study]" Sadly, people WILL get rooted out and for a profession where other people's lives are on the line, it is NECESSARY to invest in people who are more likely to make it through the MORE DIFFICULT road ahead. If you really think your situation is salvageable, and you think you know what you need to do, then put your money where you mouth is. To people blasting posters offering advice to reconsider their reasons for entering medicine and whether they should continue this path all things considered, the advice is just as valid as yours because you can just as likely fooling people down a path that is not right for them and causing more harm than good. That's all I'm going to say for threads like these. Sorry for the bluntness.

I would stop taking science classes right now, start taking something else that your interested in.

During your senior year, reevaluate whether you want to try this again. If you do, enroll in a postbacc program. If you crush that, then you will get into med school.

I talked to a med student when I was in the application process. He said he completely messed up college. During an interview, the interviewer said to him ' wow, you really screwed up college' or something to that effect.

He wound up with 2 or 3 acceptances and is a 3rd year at case western.

take some time off, study something else, and decide later if you still want to pursue this dream.

Proxy said:
I am about to start volunteering soon at my local hospital and also begin shadowing a orthopedic surgeon, and I ask myself why I should even bother if I can’t even get the grades yet.
You ask correctly! I encourage you not to bother with these activities yet; you can pick them up later once you've sorted things out.

Your number one priority right now should be to fix your study habits and procrastinate less (AKA: improve your time management skills). No one here can tell you how, but I am sure that your situation will only be made more difficult by having other (currently unnecessary) obligations to tend to.

I wish there was a poll for how many people wanted to be doctors when they were kids and how many actually do. The thought of medicine kind of stumbled on to me when I was 22 years old. I can't evern remember what I wanted to be when I was a kid. any who, the lifestyle of a doctor is glam on TV and on the surface, but it takes lots of hard work and sacrifice, sometimes harder than people want to, to acheive this goal. Yuor hole is pretty big, but not over. IMO:

#1: put medical degree as a backup plan. It sounds like you really don't want to go to medical school, hence the poor grades again and again, or you are not smart enough, that I doubt! You said yo uwant to help people. There are so many fields where you can help people that are not as academically challenging as pre-med. like education or even nurse if you want to stay in medicine. I would hate to see you put 100% into medicine and fall short without giving yourself a chance to still help people in another way.

#2: Drop the science/math classes dude. Sounds like science/math is not for you. Try switching majors to something less sceintific, like psycholgy or history. Noone said that you need to major in biology or chemisty to get to med school. Just take the science classes needed for success on mcat and med school admission and thats it (bio 1-2, chem 1-2, ochm1-2, biochem, physics, applied cal only, no engineer math for you)

#3: Apply to med school and see what happens. Remember, there are caribbean schools that take people with <3.0 GPA. Don't turn your nose up at them if you hav eno other option. Also, you may need to do a post-grad degree or masters to help that GPA.

#4: Try to enjoy undergrad becasue if you get into med school, Stress really starts and goes this ay for the rest of your life, depending on your specialty.

Good luck freshman and remember adcom loves upward trends. You got 3 more years to get to med school. Remember, med school is med school. Don't feel that you need to get into a top 5 US med school. Just get into one and try to do well in grades and step scores. It is when you get to residency interviews where you want to match into top training programs.

:luck:

To people blasting posters offering advice to reconsider their reasons for entering medicine and whether they should continue this path all things considered, the advice is just as valid as yours because you can just as likely fooling people down a path that is not right for them and causing more harm than good.

I disagree. No one here told the OP that he will be a doctor. What a lot of us said is that if he buckles down, it's possible to salvage things, just like many others have done after a rough first semester in college. What some others said was that he wasn't bright enough for medicine. I not only find that extremely rude but also woefully inaccurate if it's based just on his grades for one semester. No one here knows who is or isn't "bright enough" for medicine and we certainly can't conclude such a thing based on GPA.

What a lot of us said is that if he buckles down, it's possible to salvage things,

How do you know? It's entirely possible for someone to work hard and still fail. It's a possibility of which one should be mindful.

How do you know? It's entirely possible for someone to work hard and still fail. It's a possibility of which one should be mindful.

Of course it's possible. Anything is possible. And that's what we said. No one guaranteed him a med school spot. All we said was that based on the information he shared, if he works hard and changes things around, it is still possible to end up in med school. That's all.

What you said was that he should look into nursing and then went on to say he wasn't smart enough to become a physician. I think it's unfair to crush someone's dream like that when you know nothing about him except that he slacked off his first semester of college.

You shouldn't be taking 2 prereqs in the same year. Those classes are designed to discourage you, and taking a huge dose of them all at once is the best way to weed yourself out.

Do what I did: take a year off and get a job doing manual labor. You'll come back more focused and with an appreciation of college because you worked such a crappy job.

I can't stress enough how good an idea this is. I did mediocre as an undergrad, never really appreciating the educational opportunities I had. Then, after working for 2 years as a "lab bitch" doing pharma research, I went back to school with a totally different mindset and have done much better.

Also do not drink alcohol or smoke pot, ever. I don't think there's anything morally wrong with either of those activities, but if medical school is what you want you have to have a clear head all the time for your studies or you just won't make the cut. I see so many undergrads go down the tubes thinking they can live the party life and be pre-meds at the same time.

Some of the people on here are jerks. Sorry.

It's true that you have a battle ahead of you. But if you turn things around, you can still realize your dream of medical school. It doesn't even sound like study habits are the problem. It sounds like you just aren't motivated to study at all. Is it depression? ADHD? Personal problems? Whatever it is, address them. If it will take you some time to figure it out, take a semester off. If you aren't ready, absolutely drop the math class.

You do have to figure things out and show great improvement in your grades. But if you do, and you do it soon, you can still make your dream a reality. Don't give up!

...and QQ like this...

I dont get what QQ means. is it one of those awful emoticon things?

maybe you need to reevaluate your "dream". sure people fail at the beginning, but that is usually enough to slap them in the face and wake them up. If you haven't woken up yet (no pun intended), then maybe it should just stay a dream and you should focus om something that you can excel in. People are built for different things, it's just up to you to find that thing.

+2. Nothing like the prospect of working in the "real world" to get your butt in gear. It worked for me when I was forced to take a... how shall I say... "forced" vacation from school.