My DUI Story, please help me! Is my dream over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915763

I have been reading a number of DUI posts here, and I need your opinions on my own and how screwed I am =[ I think it is a little unique. Bear with me, I understand how stupid it was of me and it has haunted me for the last 5 years of my life. I am literally shaking as I type this.

When I was 16 (I am 21 now), me and two of my best friends wanted to try alcohol, before this, I had only ever taken sips of alcohol. We got some beers and I snuck out of the house late at night, I grabbed my parent's car keys. We came to my parent's car about 100-150feet from my house, got in the car, and I put the keys in the ignition (which now made it a legal issue) to turn on the heater as it was freezing cold. We turned on the car roof lights so we could see. The car was parked on the side of the road, and a police officer saw us and came to us. He called my friend's mom to pick him up and took me home, he wrote something on a piece of paper and told my parents someone would contact us later. We hired a lawyer who said he would speak with the judge about this, as at the time, I was a 4.0 student and very involved in my community through various volunteering work. The lawyer then told us that they declined to pursue anything and are dropping the matter, I am not sure if this is due to the police officer acknowledging that we were not driving. However, California DMV was required to suspend my license as my BAC was over 0.01 (it was 0.06). So in my DMV record, it does mention this incident. Essentially, I have nothing criminal, no arrests, no court appearances, no convictions or charges brought against me. I tried to contact the court system with the help of my parents, to see what records exist and we could not find any mention of this event ever occurring.

Yes, I know how stupid I was, I did learn from my mistake and have not caused any sort of trouble since then. By telling this story, I am not trying to excuse or lessen the severity of my mistake. I am not sure how to talk about this on applications, or if I have to mention it, and if I do, I feel like the adcoms would just laugh in my face and think I'm lying, given the ridiculousness of the situation I put myself in.

I am just really sad that I have spent years going to school, doing research, holding down odd jobs and volunteering, which has taken up every day from early morning to late at night, for years. My current stats are competitive for U.S MD (can't know for certain till I take the MCAT however).

Replace every I with 'my friend'.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats with DUIs and premeds lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As best I can tell, you have nothing that would need to be reported on an application. You can rest easy now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 5 users
As best I can tell, you have nothing that would need to be reported on an application. You can rest easy now.

Lizzy, thanks for responding, it is present in my DMV record (driver's record), don't background checks include DMV records? Or do medical schools not ask for driver's records?

Does anyone know if medical schools get access to your driver's record through the background check? I am just so confused on how to go about this.

You are fine for applications. Some secondaries I recall asked for additional stuff inc. anything reported to DMV, which you'll have to disclose but I can't imagine fair-minded adcoms making a big deal about it. It'll probably come up in your licensure application in the future but won't be a problem.

When I look at my Drivers record it just says the following:

Departmental Actions: Suspended License (followed by date of incident), date of reinstatement, reason: Excess Blood Alcohol PAS

Thank you for the responses, I have one more thing I would like to add:

When I applied for certain volunteering activities, they requested background checks and that information I mentioned in the above post pops up under the driver's record section, so wouldn't it also pop up on the medical school background check? I was still given the privilege to drive the organization's vehicles, and drive patients, so it seems like they did not care, but it nonetheless popped up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may pop up but given your age at the time if the event and the number of years that have passed without incident, it will not be an impediment to admission or licensure.

Reactions: 3 users
It may pop up but given your age at the time if the event and the number of years that have passed without incident, it will not be an impediment to admission or licensure.

In that case, should I talk about the event in the application, or do I wait for the results of the background check before I write about it in the application (not sure if that is possible since I have not applied or seen the application process)? Since I plan to write 'no' for any of the questions referencing criminal processes, would there even be a section that would allow me to explain that it only exists through the DMV?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone who is familiar with what type of questions the application asks about this kind of stuff, could you please let me know how I should go about it? Should I just put "no" for any of the criminal questions, but still explain what happened in an explanation box if it is present on the application? Or put no on everything, and if the secondary asks further about driver's records, then explain it, but otherwise not mention it at all? I am just worried if I put no on everything, but it pops up on the background check, I will be auto-rejected for lying.

As best as I recall, there are no questions about DMV records. Don’t mention it anywhere. Put this behind you and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
As best as I recall, there are no questions about DMV records. Don’t mention it anywhere. Put this behind you and move on.

So do you think it won't appear on the certiphi background check? Sorry for bothering you, that is my last question.

It is a criminal background check so I would not expect it to include DMV which is not criminal. It won’t include overdue library book fines either.

Reactions: 2 users
I would suggest paying for a background check to see if it comes up. If it does not, you should be ok (and are very lucky)

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest paying for a background check to see if it comes up. If it does not, you should be ok (and are very lucky)
Paying for a background check from Certiphi? Or from any background check service? I just think since it popped up on my volunteering background check it may pop up for this, but if it's only a criminal background check then hopefully it won't pop up. I hope that I got lucky and I hope to make up for what I did by helping other people for the rest of my life.

Even if it comes up, it may not preclude you from being licensed. I know two old-timers who have criminal records. One went to jail as a Freedom Rider before heading to college and the other was a campus protester during the Vietnam war. They had to explain when being licensed but it didn't preclude them from practicing.

Okay, I am just worried that I have to decide whether to mention it or not before I see the results of the background check for applying to medical school and if I choose to not mention it, but it pops up on the background check after my application is submitted, I would get rescinded for lying =[.

You would not be lying because they ask about felonies and misdemeanors and you have neither.

Ah okay, that makes sense then. Thank you for your help.