My EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sully677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of my sophomore year and I plan on doing research the next 2 summers. I was wondering how my EC's were so far?

Thanks!

ER volunteer ~40 hours
Pre-Med Club
Lab Assistant for the State Agriculture Director
Part time to full time Job
Youth coach of a summer baseball team
Top ten percent
Provost's List
Shadowed 2 surgeons
Dean's Research Grant Recipient

I want to go to Northwestern, and I know MCAT is super important, but do I look to be heading in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

This is the least important part of your application...you need something...and you do..just keep on participating in something..move along now...your grades and mcats will get you much further then your EC's.

This is the least important part of your application...you need something...and you do..just keep on participating in something..move along now...your grades and mcats will get you much further then your EC's.

agreed. As long as you have good GPA and MCAT's, you're more than half-way there. With your EC's, you need to show that you're really into something and have put a lot of your energy in it. Doing a lot of stuff just to pad your resume is not a good idea...admissions committees are used to this

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed. As long as you have good GPA and MCAT's, you're more than half-way there. With your EC's, you need to show that you're really into something and have put a lot of your energy in it. Doing a lot of stuff just to pad your resume is not a good idea...admissions committees are used to this
I second the high GPA/MCAT and really getting into your ECs. Keep up that ER volunteering and show them your not just there to make your resume look nice. Whatever EC you choose (research, shadowing, etc.), really get into it and do a good job. Definitely quality over quantity when you're building a med school app.

I don't think that extracurriculars are the least important part of an application, but I agree that grades and MCAT scores are critical to get an admissions committee's attention.

To the OP: I'll echo what everyone else is saying: engage in activities that you're passionate about and stay involved. My $0.02: I'm told that a lot of the most competitive schools like applicants who engage in really unusual activities, so it might help to try find something exotic to separate yourself from the pack. Try talking to your premed advisor (if your college has one), to find out a little bit more about the process of applying to med school. I've found my college's premed advisor to be a really helpful resource, but not everyone does. Prepare well for the MCAT, continue doing activities that you enjoy, apply early, and start writing your application essays in advance. Most importantly, ENJOY COLLEGE. You're only in your sophomore year, so you're ahead of the game. Don't worry.

Thanks for the help guys! I am actually considering starting a chapter of Acting on Aids at my school. It is a group to help people understand the AIDS epidemic.

I am in the middle of my sophomore year and I plan on doing research the next 2 summers. I was wondering how my EC's were so far?

Thanks!

ER volunteer ~40 hours
Pre-Med Club
Lab Assistant for the State Agriculture Director
Part time to full time Job
Youth coach of a summer baseball team
Top ten percent
Provost's List
Shadowed 2 surgeons
Dean's Research Grant Recipient

I want to go to Northwestern, and I know MCAT is super important, but do I look to be heading in the right direction?

don't list premed club on your AMCAS!!!

I disagree. My ECs are all my interviewers have talked about. I'm a little different because I lack clinical experience. My big EC is the fact that I played a Division I sport in college. You will need a pretty good GPA and MCAT to get a secondary, but ECs help show who you are as a person and make for good personal statements.