My EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monta137

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

I was wondering if you guys can give me some feedback on my EC's..
Some of them I did in the Philippines because I spent my first two years of college there and then transferred here to the US.

Clinical Volunteer (Philippines): 400 hours (College, 4h/week - 100 weeks) ; 800 hours (High School, 4h/week - 200 weeks
Lead Organizer in Fraternity medical and dental mission in the Philippines - 100 hours
Shadowing(USA): 230 hours, 4h/week - 58 weeks
Teaching Volunteer(Philippines) - 80 hours
Paid Teaching (Philippines) - 160 hours, 10h/week - 16 weeks

Research
2 years Research Assistant in the Philippines
2 years - Research Assistant in two laboratories in the University of Minnesota
1 poster
1 first author publication in a mid-level journal (cardiology)
2 publications on the way (1 first author, 1 second author)

Student Organizations:
Fraternity Treasurer and Fund Raising Head (1 year)
Pre-Med Club President (1 year)
Future Scientists Association Founder and Interim President (1 year)
College Choir Member

Professional Organizations
International Society for Cardiovascular and Translational Research

When I came to the US, I really focused on research and shadowing and I was not able to do any hospital volunteering at all. I am just beginning now and I am applying for the 2013 admission cycle. If you guys can give me some feedback on my EC's, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nothing blows me away, but, then again, no medical school adcom in his or her right mind would decline you for lack of clinical/volunteer/research experience.

Nothing blows me away, but, then again, no medical school adcom in his or her right mind would decline you for lack of clinical/volunteer/research experience.

Ah yes...SDN, where 3 publications, 1200 hours of clinical volunteering, and President of the Premed club is simply run-of-the-mill.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it! My apologies for posting it in the wrong forum.

My GPA is not that amazing.
Cumulative: 3.5
Science: 3.6

I will be taking the MCAT in May 24th. Keeping my fingers crossed! Scoring between 35 and 38 on my last three practice tests.

As for recs, I have 2 clinical, 3 research, 1 course instructor, 1 shadowing, and 1 from my professor when I was a TA for a class.

My real concern is my lack of US clinical experience. I really focused on research when I got here in the US and I thought that shadowing would be enough since I have a lot of clinical volunteer hours. I will begin volunteering next week though and hopefully have around 30+ hours of US volunteering when I apply. Do you guys think that's gonna hurt me?

I am also applying to MD/PhD programs.

Hey guys! Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it! My apologies for posting it in the wrong forum.

My GPA is not that amazing.
Cumulative: 3.5
Science: 3.6

I will be taking the MCAT in May 24th. Keeping my fingers crossed! Scoring between 35 and 38 on my last three practice tests.

As for recs, I have 2 clinical, 3 research, 1 course instructor, 1 shadowing, and 1 from my professor when I was a TA for a class.

My real concern is my lack of US clinical experience. I really focused on research when I got here in the US and I thought that shadowing would be enough since I have a lot of clinical volunteer hours. I will begin volunteering next week though and hopefully have around 30+ hours of US volunteering when I apply. Do you guys think that's gonna hurt me?

I am also applying to MD/PhD programs.

Yeah your ECs are really good. Something to improve on might be volunteering for/with underserved communities (or just in general, more non-clinical volunteering).

For LORs, I highly suggest you get more professors rather than doctors, volunteer coordinators, PIs, research acquaintances, etc.

And with a good MCAT score I think you should be fine.

Yeah your ECs are really good. Something to improve on might be volunteering for/with underserved communities (or just in general, more non-clinical volunteering).

For LORs, I highly suggest you get more professors rather than doctors, volunteer coordinators, PIs, research acquaintances, etc.

And with a good MCAT score I think you should be fine.

Thanks for your reply Stumpyman!

I have around 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering in the Philippines. It is the Philippine equivalent of Habitat for Humanity. Do you think that's enough?

Also, as for the recs, I am really thinking of getting more from the PI's that I worked with. However, some of my friends advised that I should get a letter of rec from each of my supervisors in my volunteer experiences. As for the PI's, I have already asked 3 but I have 2 that I have yet to ask. I am positive though that they will say yes.

So your advice would be to do more non-clinical volunteer work? Thanks!:)

1) My real concern is my lack of US clinical experience. I really focused on research when I got here in the US and I thought that shadowing would be enough since I have a lot of clinical volunteer hours. I will begin volunteering next week though and hopefully have around 30+ hours of US volunteering when I apply. Do you guys think that's gonna hurt me?

2) I am also applying to MD/PhD programs.

3) I have around 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering in the Philippines. It is the Philippine equivalent of Habitat for Humanity. Do you think that's enough?

4) Also, as for the recs, I am really thinking of getting more from the PI's that I worked with. However, some of my friends advised that I should get a letter of rec from each of my supervisors in my volunteer experiences. :)
1) Get the 30 hours in, but continue with the same activity through the application year, letting schools know via update letter, Secondary essay, or interview conversation, where possible, and I think you'll be fine, considering your past heavy experience abroad.

2) Your current GPA is not very competitive for MD/PhD. See: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10563823

3) It will look odd that you've done none in the last two years. Consider getting involved with something locally.

4) The base requirements for LOR are often two science faculty who taught you and one nonscience who taught you. You need letters that vouch for your academic prowess.

Are you a US citizen or permanent resident? Did your grades from the Phillipines transfer to your current school, or just P/F credit? You know that AMCAS doesn't accept foreign transcripts most of the time, right?

1) Get the 30 hours in, but continue with the same activity through the application year, letting schools know via update letter, Secondary essay, or interview conversation, where possible, and I think you'll be fine, considering your past heavy experience abroad.

2) Your current GPA is not very competitive for MD/PhD. See: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10563823

3) It will look odd that you've done none in the last two years. Consider getting involved with something locally.

4) The base requirements for LOR are often two science faculty who taught you and one nonscience who taught you. You need letters that vouch for your academic prowess.

Are you a US citizen or permanent resident? Did your grades from the Phillipines transfer to your current school, or just P/F credit? You know that AMCAS doesn't accept foreign transcripts most of the time, right?
Hi Catalystik! Thanks for your response.

I am not a US Citizen. I am an International Student at a US University. My credits from my past school transferred and the grades were noted but they were not included in the GPA calculation. I know being an international student will complicate things more.

As for the clinical, I'll take your advice!

My GPA really is my weakness but I hope to do well on the MCAT's. I got between 35 and 38 on my last three practice tests. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the test day!

As for LOR's, thanks for the advice, I will ask my recommenders to include that in their letters if possible. Thanks!

1) I am not a US Citizen. I am an International Student at a US University. My credits from my past school transferred and the grades were noted but they were not included in the GPA calculation. I know being an international student will complicate things more.

2) My GPA really is my weakness but I hope to do well on the MCAT's. I got between 35 and 38 on my last three practice tests. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the test day!
1) Some med schools require at least 90 credit hours earned at a US or Canadian accredited school, usually including all the science prerequisites. There are others that require only 30-60, and are less fussy about the sciences. So read websites carefully and don't waste your money. You might or might not be required to submit a report from a transcript evaluation service, like WES, translating your foreign transcript, to individual med schools, considering that your US transcript includes actual grades from abroad. If your grade is listed on the US transcript, maybe AMCAS will include them in their grade calcualtions. Why not call them and find out? Would it help or hurt you if all your grades are included?

2) As an international applicant, your stated cGPA will hurt you. Most recent AAMC data:
Non-Canadian matriculating Internationals, average stats: MCAT 32.4+/-3.9, cGPA 3.71+/-.21, sGPA 3.66+/-.26 compared to
All 2011 matriculant averages: MCAT 31.1+/-4.1, cGPA 3.67+/-.26, sGPA 3.61+/-.32