My "English" courses - question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I've started to research a few schools here and there, I've noticed that the English requirement varies a bit from school to school. Although most that require it say "writing/reading courses will also fulfill the requirement."
Here's what I've got... a little unsure whether they would work. (all worth 3 credit hours)

AP English Comp - y'all know this, accepted at some. not accepted at others
Intro to World Cinema - cross listed as Global Diversity and Humanities. all work in this class was writing. 3 big papers, several other smaller essays.
Latin American Culture and Literature - cross listed as Culture and Humanities. Taught in English. Very reading and writing intensive (all in English)
Social Psychology Writing - listed as Writing. 6 short papers. Exams were essay questions.
Asian Philosophy - cross listed as Global Diversity and Literature. 3 papers and exams were essays.

Curious to see if some (or all) of these would fulfill the requirement. And how would I list the cross-listed classes on AMCAS?
Also, not an ESL student if that helps. I speak the english real good.

Members don't see this ad.

^^^ what gonnif said. For the cross-listed courses, list them in AMCAS the way that they appear on your transcript.

As I've started to research a few schools here and there, I've noticed that the English requirement varies a bit from school to school. Although most that require it say "writing/reading courses will also fulfill the requirement."
Here's what I've got... a little unsure whether they would work. (all worth 3 credit hours)

AP English Comp - y'all know this, accepted at some. not accepted at others
Intro to World Cinema - cross listed as Global Diversity and Humanities. all work in this class was writing. 3 big papers, several other smaller essays.
Latin American Culture and Literature - cross listed as Culture and Humanities. Taught in English. Very reading and writing intensive (all in English)
Social Psychology Writing - listed as Writing. 6 short papers. Exams were essay questions.
Asian Philosophy - cross listed as Global Diversity and Literature. 3 papers and exams were essays.

Curious to see if some (or all) of these would fulfill the requirement. And how would I list the cross-listed classes on AMCAS?
Also, not an ESL student if that helps. I speak the english real good.

Social Psychology Writing should count as a composition course. Latin american culture and literature would fulfill the literature requirement. That's all you need.

I wonder why so many schools have such varying standards when it comes to English. Chem/Phys/Bio is pretty much the same for all schools. Seems strange...idk