My experience with the OAT (taken 11/22/08)

8sYnth8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First of all, I discovered this site about a week ago and I've been lurking around for all the info I could find so thanks to everyone that posts here. Your advice was very helpful.

I took the Kaplan course 2 summers ago (yeah I pushed the OAT back quite a bit...) and bought the TopScore testing program. I read the Kaplan materials here and there but totally neglected it when school got busy. I started to really study the material hard for the past 2 weeks and did all the Kaplan sample tests and the TopScore tests. I also did a bit of the DAT and OAT sample exams.

Here's a comparison of my marks for those that are curious about how the practice materials compare to the real deal:

Topscore (Score for the most recent test I took):
AA: 298 / TS:300
Bio: 320
GChem: 320
OChem: 290
Physics: 270
QR: 300
RC: 290

Opted (only did the Bio, GChem, and OChem sections):
Bio: 380
GChem: 350
OChem: 330

ADA Sample Dat (no physics section):
Bio: 360
GChem: 360
OChem: 360
QR: 370

Actual OAT:
AA: 350 / TS: 370
QR: 360
RC: 310 (Ran out of time, had to random guess 2 or 3 and missed 2 completely)
Physics: 380

The Physics, OChem, and RC sections worried me the most heading into the exam. I'm really not good at physics/math but the OAT had very simple problems on it so don't stress out too much when you're studying. For the RC, practice as much as you can. I accidentally got hung up on a question near the end and I had to quickly attempt 5 questions in 10 seconds or so at the end.

Sorry this is pretty long winded, but basically the OPTED and ADA sample tests were the most accurate tests from my personal experience. Having said that its obviously much better to get as much practice as you can.

ADA Dat Sample: http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_test_sampleitems.pdf

OPTED OAT Sample:
https://www.ada.org/oat/oat_sample_Test.pdf

I may have study materials available for sale (depending on whether or not my friend wants them) so PM me if you're interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

First of all, I discovered this site about a week ago and I've been lurking around for all the info I could find so thanks to everyone that posts here. Your advice was very helpful.

I took the Kaplan course 2 summers ago (yeah I pushed the OAT back quite a bit...) and bought the TopScore testing program. I read the Kaplan materials here and there but totally neglected it when school got busy. I started to really study the material hard for the past 2 weeks and did all the Kaplan sample tests and the TopScore tests. I also did a bit of the DAT and OAT sample exams.

Here's a comparison of my marks for those that are curious about how the practice materials compare to the real deal:

Topscore (Score for the most recent test I took):
AA: 298 / TS:300
Bio: 320
GChem: 320
OChem: 290
Physics: 270
QR: 300
RC: 290

Opted (only did the Bio, GChem, and OChem sections):

ADA Sample Dat (no physics section):
Bio: 360
GChem: 360
OChem: 360
QR: 370

Actual OAT:
AA: 350 / TS: 370
QR: 360
RC: 310 (Ran out of time, had to random guess 2 or 3 and missed 2 completely)
Physics: 380

The Physics, OChem, and RC sections worried me the most heading into the exam. I'm really not good at physics/math but the OAT had very simple problems on it so don't stress out too much when you're studying. For the RC, practice as much as you can. I accidentally got hung up on a question near the end and I had to quickly attempt 5 questions in 10 seconds or so at the end.

Sorry this is pretty long winded, but basically the OPTED and ADA sample tests were the most accurate tests from my personal experience. Having said that its obviously much better to get as much practice as you can.

ADA Dat Sample: http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_test_sampleitems.pdf

OPTED OAT Sample:
https://www.ada.org/oat/oat_sample_Test.pdf

I may have study materials available for sale (depending on whether or not my friend wants them) so PM me if you're interested.

thanks, this was helpful!