• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Futuredoc1364

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
So I filed my FAFSA about a month ago. It was processed and in the comments section it said that they could not confirm my citizenship status, and therefore I would not be eligible for federal student aid. I am a new U.S. citizen, and last year when I filed FAFSA, I put down permanent resident.

After this happened, I contacted FAFSA and told them about the situation. They basically said there is nothing they can do and each school will need to verify on its own. Therefore, I am just waiting for the schools to send me those forms. Nevertheless, I am kind of worried that this might delay the process of my financial application. I have put down 4 schools on the FAFSA (the ones that I have interviewed at or will interview. As of now I have not had any acceptances, waitlists, or post-interview rejections).

Curious, I called one of the schools at which I interviewed about 5 weeks ago and will probably hear back from next week. The nice lady at the financial aid office told me that I should call back by the end of March. Interestingly, she asked me if I had already been accepted, and I said that I will hear back next week. So do you think I should just assume I should do the same for the other schools as well? By the same thing, I mean, wait to see if I get accepted and call by the end of March? :confused: :(

By the way, another FAFSA question I had is this: I havent had the chance to file my taxes yet. I probably have to make corrections to my FAFSA after I do though. So should I hurry up and file my taxes as soon as possible to correct my FAFSA, or would it really not matter because I have already submitted FAFSA to schools anyway? I really do not believe that the change of information on my FAFSA would be significant when I submit a correction.

Thank you in advance!

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
don't worry about it. most schools only use fafsa as a general template to cross check their formula. i became naturalized with my parents...oh about 4 years ago, and every year, fafsa still couldn't verify my citizenship. it never ended up being an issue :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.