my first 2 yrs have come to an end.... and i wonder if there is a chance for me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourstar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as i stated in my other thread of some of the personal problems ive been having since my freshman year... my grades suffered a lot. What I am counting on is by showing an upward trend in my gpa. i wonder if there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel. to show u guys where i stand... here is the breakdown of my gpa. 1st semester - 2.16. 2nd semester - 2.20 ending my 1st year with a horrible 2.18 (this # will probably be engraved in my brain until i die). Soph Yr-2.8 and just finished this semester with a 3.4. I also took three classes at a community college last year over the summer and did well in those. i wonder if the upward trend is strong enough :(. I realize i have two more years left but i havent even started the organic sequence yet and the upper div courses will be much harder. I calculated my overall gpa including the CC credits and i currently stand at exactly 3.0. Im not really looking for someone to make of feel better but someone to offer me constructive criticism. Say exactly how u feel

Members don't see this ad.

also keep in mind that i had to withdraw from calc the 2nd time i took it and also withdrew bio 1 only to retake it and get a C+ :(

In all likelihood, if you're planning on applying to MD schools, you're not going to be able to do it without doing some postbacc work. The problem is there's not enough time for you to raise your GPA if you're going to apply during your third year so you can start med school the fall after your graduate.

I think the only way you could get into a med school (non-MD)straight out of undergrad would be to get basically 3.7+ the next two semesters in a row, get a 33+ on the MCAT and apply DO.

I think it'd be better if you just ace your classes from hereon in, take your time studying for the MCAT, destroy it, and apply after you've graduated. If you can get close to a 4.0 from now on until you graduate, it's possible you can just apply with just undergrad work. You'd need a killer MCAT score though (35+ maybe).

Members don't see this ad :)
can he/she just stay in undergrad longer and keep doing well to boost his/her gpay? like undergrad, not postbacc. maybe you can do that by double or triple majoring. i dont know, but i guess thats an idea...

I think that a post -bacc would help. Let me say that I truly envy those "non-premeds" who take the Bryn Mawr postbacc. That program is soo nice with linkage. Anyhow, if you're a science major ace the rest of classes and MCATs, do postbacc, apply, get in. If non science it's up to you, either try again, look into that Bryn Mawr post bacc. Good Luck, sorry things have been so bad. Also, look into GU SMP, and some others if have taken too much science already.

hello, my little sis is in the same boat as you are and I had a 2.1 gpa my first year in school. the most important thing is to realize that everybody doesn't have to do great things at the same time. We are meant to shine when we are ready to. Having said that, you may want to sit down this summer and have a heart to heart with yourself about why you aren't doing so well in school. Are you studying hard enough?, are you focused? do you have good time management skills? You also have to decide if what your majoring in really interests you. You don't have to be pre-med or bio or chem to go to med school i was a psyc major and I have a good friend who was a spanish and english major. it sucks going to school for four years or more taking a bunch of classes you hate because you feel like thats what you have to do. Also most importantly you need to ask yourself if medicine is what you really want to do. It took me 2 years after undergrad to decide i wanted to go to med school, and that was only after attempting a masters program and applying to nursing school. as a sophomore you have plenty of time to weigh all of you options, live life, and still be very successful.

good luck with the rest of you semester!

I do not know a whole lot about your chances for MD (outside of my one state school)...however...for DO I think there is still hope. Keep in mind that the AVERAGE DO student enters with about a 3.5 GPA and 26 on the MCAT. There are schools with both higher and lower stats than this. If you are truely dedicated to being a doc, I would work hard on your upcoming classes, retake any that you got below a C- in, Get some experience in volunteering, shadowing, develop your E.C.'s, and nail the MCAT (a good MCAT can get you a long way)....If you do your best for the next 2 years and don't get in, then you can always consider a postbac program to show your academic maturity.

Good Luck!!!

what you have to do is keep up with the upward trend for the next 2 years of your college career. this is very very important. there are a good number of sdn people, and non sdn people im sure that got into medical schools with Cs and Ws etc...

you may have to do a postbacc...but thats when you are getting close to graduating and see what you have been able to do.

you can apply to both DO and MD schools if the rest of your application is solid.
and yes you do need a strong mcat.

good luck.