My first MCAT diagnostic: HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO, I just got the scores back from my first practice MCAT. My MCAT class, which is offered through my school, gave us AAMC practice test 1 I got the following: 10V, 9PS, 7BS. This is after only 1 week of MCAT class. What do you think of starting at this base? I was pleased to just not get a 3. :) My GPA is above a 3.8 and I have lots of ECs too. What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Julian,

From what I've read on this board and others, AAMC I is the least like the real MCAT, being easier. How much easier? I haven't a clue BUT you should continue with your prep just as if you got a 3 on all sections :) However the score you got is a good base to start at and it should give you confidence that you can do this and get a good MCAT score! Bottom line: keep studying!!! Good luck.

Peace,
BDF

Originally posted by JulianCrane
SO, I just got the scores back from my first practice MCAT. My MCAT class, which is offered through my school, gave us AAMC practice test 1 I got the following: 10V, 9PS, 7BS. This is after only 1 week of MCAT class. What do you think of starting at this base? I was pleased to just not get a 3. :) My GPA is above a 3.8 and I have lots of ECs too. What do I do?

This may scare the hell out of you, but here was how I scored:

AAMC I: 27 (2 1/2 months before MCAT)
Peak AAMC (3 or 4): 32
Last Diag before MCAT: 31
Actual MCAT: 27

I studied my ass off, had a great test day, and felt like everything went well, then I was shocked when I got my score! The test seemed really easy too!??

My point? Study hard, do the best you can, and don't stress over diagnostic/ AAMC scores (unless you're bombing) because they don't mean anything.

I received my first acceptance letter last week, so realize that the MCAT is just a blip in the radar of what you are going through and you don't have to score a 38 to get in.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a great score for your first diag. Trust me...you will improve. I scored 29 on my first, ended up with a 34. By the way, my first diag was lost initially and they had to find it at the office. The office manager found it and after he graded it...asked if I still wanted to stay in the TPR class. Apparently, with that kind of first score, THEY even expect you to score above a 30.

AAMC 1-3 are crap. They are way too easy. In fact, I dont even think there is exact scoring for AAMC 1.

I wouldnt worry about it. Dont waste your time on AAMC 1-3 and stick with AAMC 4-6 and Kaplan/TPR.