My First Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gschl1234

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first rejection (pre-interview) in the mail today. I just feel so crushed right now. It's amazing that the letter is so dry and to the point. I'm sure it's not more than 75 words. I guess what's really nagging is that I want to know what is wrong with my application. I'm pretty sure it's not grades, MCATs or research experience so it has to be something less quantifiable like my ECs, LORs, essays or maybe even my undergraduate institution. I've read on this website that other students have called into the adcoms to ask why they were rejected. Would it be a faux pas to do that for a pre-interview reject especially since I'm sure at this time of the year they are quite busy? I suppose I'd feel much better if I had at least been invivted to interview at another school but I'm still waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gschl1234
I just got my first rejection (pre-interview) in the mail today. I just feel so crushed right now. It's amazing that the letter is so dry and to the point. I'm sure it's not more than 75 words. I guess what's really nagging is that I want to know what is wrong with my application. I'm pretty sure it's not grades, MCATs or research experience so it has to be something less quantifiable like my ECs, LORs, essays or maybe even my undergraduate institution. I've read on this website that other students have called into the adcoms to ask why they were rejected. Would it be a faux pas to do that for a pre-interview reject especially since I'm sure at this time of the year they are quite busy? I suppose I'd feel much better if I had at least been invivted to interview at another school but I'm still waiting.

You might as well call them, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Sorry to hear about the rejection, but remember that for every school that rejects you there are tons that will want you to go there.

You shouldnt feel too bad. Indiana University rejected my a$$ IN JULY!!!! Can you imagine how crushing THAT was?

It only made it that much nicer when OSU crushed them two weeks ago in football :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
You shouldnt feel too bad. Indiana University rejected my a$$ IN JULY!!!! Can you imagine how crushing THAT was?

It only made it that much nicer when OSU crushed them two weeks ago in football :D

What school was it?

If it was somewhere like Stanford or ______________? (fill in the blank) they are known to reject well qualified applicants. Don't worry about it. It is there loss. At least that is what I have to tell myself.

I also got my rejection last week. Don't worry about it... It's a hubmling experience! Life goes on right? You're going to still go on to be a great doctor! *Wink*

Originally posted by Giving My .02
What school was it?

If it was somewhere like Stanford or ______________? (fill in the blank) they are known to reject well qualified applicants. Don't worry about it. It is there loss. At least that is what I have to tell myself.

It was a good school (U of Chicago) but what hurts the most is that I haven't gotten any invites from any of the other schools where I'm complete, but U of C was the first secondary I turned in so maybe I'll be hearing from the other schools some time in the next few weeks.

Originally posted by Gleevec
You might as well call them, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Sorry to hear about the rejection, but remember that for every school that rejects you there are tons that will want you to go there.

Thanks for your kind words. I really appreciate it. :)

Originally posted by gschl1234
It was a good school (U of Chicago) but what hurts the most is that I haven't gotten any invites from any of the other schools where I'm complete, but U of C was the first secondary I turned in so maybe I'll be hearing from the other schools some time in the next few weeks.

No worries. I applied to 16 schools, 11 of which have offered me an interview, and Chicago is my only rejection as of yet (and it was VERY early!). Clearly, they suck.