My First Semester Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Namie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
16 Credits here.

Math
Writing
US History
General Chemistry (I'm not taking the lab until next semester to fit it better for work schedule)

Members don't see this ad.

16 Credits here.

Math
Writing
US History
General Chemistry (I'm not taking the lab until next semester to fit it better for work schedule)

ditch history and take bio. You could have done AP US in high school anyway. You aren't leaving yourself enough time to take it. You need to fit in two gen bio's, two gen chem's, 2 orgo's, two physic's, one or two math's, and one or two Englishes. Not to mention all the upper level bio's they are gonna want to see.

edit: ditch history and went for philosophy because its a required class for my transfer

http://www.lcc.edu/transfer/guides/current/11190.html

under (IAH)

all the biology classes are taken or would screw up my work schedule

I'm currently trying to get the department to approve me to get into psychology as well (since I'm either going to get into dietetics or psychology as a major with the premed stuff; psychology will fill another requirement to transfer)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am currently a freshman student of Pharmacy. And I am having thoughts of shifting to Psychology, but I am frightened

Reasons why I am thinking of shifting:
1.) Teacher factor in my present school- My teachers are not teachers, they're making me memorize and not understand

2.) Standard of education in my present school is low- I came from a prestigious school and I feel like my skills are deteriorating

3.) I am not good with Chemistry and Botany- the 2 major subjects in Pharmacy

4.) the environment- I am enrolled in section A of pharmacy and my classmates are Panic!

5.) I don't have a concrete reason why I chose pharmacy.

Reasons why I am frightened of shifting
1.) My relatives are very happy that I chose pharmacy

2.) Shifting of courses never happened in the family

3.) Am not sure if I will pass the required grade for transferring

4.) I might be an irregular student

5.) I have a reputation to keep and shifting would affect it all.

To shift or not to shift?
:(

OP, consider posting here in the future: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=814964

Hello! I am currently a freshman student of Pharmacy. And I am having thoughts of shifting to Psychology, but I am frightened

Reasons why I am thinking of shifting:
1.) Teacher factor in my present school- My teachers are not teachers, they're making me memorize and not understand

2.) Standard of education in my present school is low- I came from a prestigious school and I feel like my skills are deteriorating

3.) I am not good with Chemistry and Botany- the 2 major subjects in Pharmacy

4.) the environment- I am enrolled in section A of pharmacy and my classmates are Panic!

5.) I don't have a concrete reason why I chose pharmacy.

Reasons why I am frightened of shifting
1.) My relatives are very happy that I chose pharmacy

2.) Shifting of courses never happened in the family

3.) Am not sure if I will pass the required grade for transferring

4.) I might be an irregular student

5.) I have a reputation to keep and shifting would affect it all.

To shift or not to shift?
:(
Have you considered attending a different school?

What is wrong with the environment/other classmates?

Live your own life, don't let your parents or family live vicariously through you and manipulate your freedom, or you risk deep regret in the future.

What reputation do you have that would be so compromised by pursuing what you have interest in?

OP, consider posting here in the future: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=814964

Have you considered attending a different school?

What is wrong with the environment/other classmates?

Live your own life, don't let your parents or family live vicariously through you and manipulate your freedom, or you risk deep regret in the future.

What reputation do you have that would be so compromised by pursuing what you have interest in?

Yes, as a matter of fact I have considered another school

The environment is not so good. The standards are so low and it is too congestive

with my classmates, they're all paranoid and so ego-centered. They dont know how to chill. And not that I am flaunting or what, I am one of the top students and it feels like they want to put me down. They dont seem to be supportive or I cant even consider them as another family. It seems to be a jungle, all about survival.

With the reputation, I am the student council president and I am the top of the class and I just graduated with really flying colors and never have I put my parents down I always made them proud and shifting would mean that I am inconsistent and unsure. :/

Yes, as a matter of fact I have considered another school

The environment is not so good. The standards are so low and it is too congestive

with my classmates, they're all paranoid and so ego-centered. They dont know how to chill. And not that I am flaunting or what, I am one of the top students and it feels like they want to put me down. They dont seem to be supportive or I cant even consider them as another family. It seems to be a jungle, all about survival.

With the reputation, I am the student council president and I am the top of the class and I just graduated with really flying colors and never have I put my parents down I always made them proud and shifting would mean that I am inconsistent and unsure. :/
If the academic environment is that bothersome to you, there isn't any way around it but to leave.

Also, I think you're imposing too harsh a standard upon yourself with regard to making your parents proud. Your parents should be proud of you for pursuing your interests, regardless of how they change. Changing your academic focus is neither a sign nor act of failure.

Last edited:
16 Credits here.

Math
Writing
US History

I disagree with most people here. I think that's a good schedule. I basically took the same schedule and completed all of my pre-reqs by midway through Junior Year.

If your professors suck, go read the book.

Only 1 professor sucked in my entire college career, although the number of lecturers that put me to sleep seem to have risen in med school.

If the academic environment is that bothersome to you, there isn't any way around it but to leave.

Also, I think you're imposing too harsh a standard upon yourself with regard to making your parents proud. Your parents should be proud of you for pursuing your interests, regardless of how they change. Changing your academic focus is neither a sign nor act of failure.

Thank you so much!
I already have plans on transferring school. As a matter of fact, I have my sister helping me. But all of these are just plans. My mom and dad doesn't know anything about plans yet coz I'm frightened that they won't allow me. :/

And yes, I'm trying my very best to accept the standards that my present schooll has but I'm really having a difficult time.

I don't know...am just on the grey spot right now, not black nor white :/:(

If your professors suck, go read the book.

Only 1 professor sucked in my entire college career, although the number of lecturers that put me to sleep seem to have risen in med school.

Oh yes! Those professors!!! They suck so badly!
As a matter of fact, they dont really teach, they just literally copy paste what's written on the book and they don't explain. They teach us on what the process is and not How and Why things work. There's a big difference!

*sigh! Those teachers can't live without the book! Tsk tsk!

I disagree with most people here. I think that's a good schedule. I basically took the same schedule and completed all of my pre-reqs by midway through Junior Year.

I also think that it is a good idea to start slower with the science. Biology may be easier for you if you've had a semester of chemistry first, but this depends on how molecular-driven it is at your school. Regardless, math is a common stumbling point in science, so it's good that you are taking it along with chemistry.

I agree. The only science prereqs I took as a freshman was physics and I don't regret going slowly at first. It gave me time to get used to college and have fun before getting all serious about biology.

Another poster said adcoms are definitely going to want to see higher level biologies. With the exception of some schools that specifically post requirements (JHU needs biochem lab, for example, and USC asks for molecular) they don't give a rat's behind about what classes you took. Take what you like, do well in them, and they'll thoroughly beat all the information you need to be a doctor into your head in med school.

:luck: :)

I agree. The only science prereqs I took as a freshman was physics and I don't regret going slowly at first. It gave me time to get used to college and have fun before getting all serious about biology.

Another poster said adcoms are definitely going to want to see higher level biologies. With the exception of some schools that specifically post requirements (JHU needs biochem lab, for example, and USC asks for molecular) they don't give a rat's behind about what classes you took. Take what you like, do well in them, and they'll thoroughly beat all the information you need to be a doctor into your head in med school.

No, it doesn't.

I already completed biochemistry, genetics, and a couple other upper level bio classes before applying in June. Seriously, I see lot of people biting off more than they can chew in their first semester, and end up in the hole with their GPA before sophomore year. Get a semester of easy classes to transition into the college lifestyle, and then start working at your pre-reqs. If you really want to take it slow, take some summer classes as well.

No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does.

From the admissions requirement webpage:
c) Biochemistry (4 semester hours) are required.
The student should have knowledge of chemical equilibrium and thermodynamics,
acid/base chemistry, the nature of ions in solution and redox reactions, the structure of
molecules with special emphasis on bio-organic compounds, reaction rates, binding
coefficients, reaction mechanisms involved in enzyme kinetics, and other applications to
the understanding of living systems. Also important is a basic understanding of the
structure of nucleic acids, including how they store and transfer information.

4 semester hours means either that it includes a lab or that you take two semesters. I called the admissions office to find out; it contributed to my decision not to apply there.

Yes, it does.

4 semester hours means either that it includes a lab or that you take two semesters. I called the admissions office to find out; it contributed to my decision not to apply there.

Point to me where it says, in their website, a laboratory is required. How you get to four credits at your university is your problem -- don't make up that it has to include a lab.

Point to me where it says, in their website, a laboratory is required. How you get to four credits at your university is your problem -- don't make up that it has to include a lab.

No need to be rude (or should I say a paine in the neck...).

For the sake of my original argument, making the point that some schools require certain upper level biologies, I cited JHU as one institution that asked for more than the standard one year of biology. Whether I accurately described their requirement was really irrelevant and beside the point; according to the person I spoke with in the admissions office, you must have either a laboratory or a second semester of biochemistry, and whoever applies there needs to plan their college course schedule accordingly. It would be up to the OP to figure out exactly what that means for him/her, but I did not "make up" the fact that Johns Hopkins asks for four hours of biochemistry.

Yes, it does.

Biochem is 4 credit hours at my school, it's actually run through the medical school.

Biochem is 4 credit hours at my school, it's actually run through the medical school.

Ugh, that isn't fair! I should have thought of that before I went to the undergrad I did, I thought it would be the same everywhere. I guess the lady in the admissions office was telling me what I personally would have to do to meet the requirement.

At any rate, JHU does require higher level science, which is the point I was trying to make to the OP in the first place. Sorry for all the confusion! :)