My friend got into med school by saying...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogiberra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
He's gay, at the interview he made up a story of how he was beat up one time and how he was traumatized by that. Only if G Washington univ school of med knew that he sleeps around with about 2 to three girls a week and he hates gays.

One sad individual, I think what he did was totally f-u-cked.

But you know what, all he says when I tell him this is "Im going to med school, biotch."

The truth is a lot of people will die to go to a us allopathic school like him, but not the way he got in. oh yeah heres the kicker ****ty stats, 3.5 29 mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

well, excuse me for saying, but i think you've just got your panties in a bunch. 3.5 and 29 are not ****ty stats, i think they're somewhat decent. yea, saying he;s gay when he's not is just weird, especially considering that a lot of docs are conservative, and might not be so friendly for it. and you know what, he is going to med school. you should just worry about yourself, not anyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really very much doubt someone could get into med school based on a terrible experience *alone*-provided he told you the truth (and you are telling us the truth) I really think a thread based on SDNers' traumatic experiences could reach several pages in no time at all, provided people were willing to share. Of course, some trauma is worse than others. I would stop worrying about it-unless of course, you were trying to start a flame war.

Um, maybe he really is gay. Closetted people have very many weird ways of hinting about being gay. This kid may be telling you something... biotch!

yogiberra said:
He's gay, at the interview he made up a story of how he was beat up one time and how he was traumatized by that. Only if G Washington univ school of med knew that he sleep around with about 2 to three girls a week and he hates gays.

But you know what, all he says when I tell him this is "Im going to med school, biotch."

The truth is a lot of people will die to go to a us allopathic school like him, but not the way he got in. oh yeah heres the kicker ****ty stats, 3.5 29 mcat. :thumbdown:

I didn't realize that 3.5 and 29 MCAT were ****ty stats. You should be more careful to criticize people's numbers with the words that you use.

Amazing, premeds trying to relieve some stress by using the word "biotch"... :D nice

yogiberra said:
He's gay, at the interview he made up a story of how he was beat up one time and how he was traumatized by that. Only if G Washington univ school of med knew that he sleep around with about 2 to three girls a week and he hates gays.

The truth is a lot of people will die to go to a us allopathic school like him, but not the way he got in. oh yeah heres the kicker ****ty stats, 3.5 29 mcat. :thumbdown:

that blows. i know of someone who did about the same last year to a top 10.... and it worked...

What's wrong with sleeping with more than one woman a week. :cool:

look, overall was 3.5, his science gpa was ****ty, horribly bad, but I mean it is clever but sad to do that, and if you have a 3.5 and 29 mcats and offended-too bad, I dont know your science gpas, I only know him personally but Ive known him and his academic career and hwat he pulled off with the "gay story" was well F-u-cked, but then again it kept him out of d.o and forg. medical schools which he wanted.

PS: he said "biotch", not me.

Mwz1024 said:
What's wrong with sleeping with more than one women a week. :cool:

What's wrong with using correct grammar?

Members don't see this ad :)
yogiberra said:

I agree with you that this is a wrong way to get into a medical school, but seems to me that this is how life works. People lie to get into schools, get a girlfriend, jobs, presidency....

we live in such a superficial and manipulative society. More and more I live, I see people who try to manipulate the system and do the least amount of work, rather than working hard.

what can you do? you can either play the same game or be your own man.

While we're on this topic, how many of you will lie at an interview to get in, I mean not a little white lie, or an exaggeration of the truth, I mean like "WMD in Iraq lie".

I think it comes down to how desperate you are, lets say it is your "only shot" interview and you've already been rejected.... pop quiz hot shot-what would you do, what will you do?

Since noone on here seems to have any morals what so ever, I will support the OP and say that this guy is a douche. Not to mention that promiscuous sex is disgusting and future physicians should show greater emotional maturity in relationships than to sleep with anonymous people. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but anyone who knows me on here knows I am absolutely not PC or prudish, but I will stand up for what is correct here.

Alexander Pink said:
Since noone on here seems to have any morals what so ever, I will support the OP and say that this guy is a douche. Not to mention that promiscuous sex is disgusting and future physicians should show greater emotional maturity in relationships than to sleep with anonymous people. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but anyone who knows me on here knows I am absolutely not PC or prudish, but I will stand up for what is correct here.

who is the hell is noone?

I do agree anonymous sex is pretty bad. I mean, what name do you yell in the throes of passion? At the very least, firstnames should be exchanged.

Hey Pink, I'm Guy.

does anyone here notice that the guy lied? it wasnt some small lie but a BIG lie.

uclabruin2003 said:
does anyone here notice that the guy lied? it wasnt some small lie but a BIG lie.

People tell all kinds of lies at their interviews, from "I care" to "I swear I plan on practicing primary care in an under-served area of your fine state." So the guy mentioned by the OP got a little more creative than most people. Why is this any worse than any other attempt to tell the interviewer what they want to hear?

For myself, I had no compelling reason to want to be a Doctor so I just made one up at most of my interviews.

Besides, fortune favors the bold. The guy was nothing if not audacious, especially since he wasn't sure how being gay would be received by the admissions committee. They might just as easily have had a strong negative reaction to him.

Medical school admissions is mostly hokum. Especially the part which compells normal people to waste large amounts of time in activities which prove they care. I volunteered as an EMT after spending a great deal of time getting certified but only enough to be able to honestly state on my AMCAS application that I had done it. This was not a lot. And after my application was submitted I stopped doing it because it was eating up too much of my time.

This is like such a huge, ridiculous lie that I have a hard time believing this story true. I guess I'm naïve like that . . . . How could he live with himself? Is it he like completely amoral?

Also, to all the people freaking out about him saying 29 and 3.5 are ****ty stats. . . what do you care if he doesn't like your stats? Get over it.

uclabruin2003 said:

yeah, you don't know my friend, and you really don't know what he is capable of, I mean the guy would be perfect for the CIA. I ain't lying, he told me he was going to either use the "I'm gay" lie or the "best friend commited suicide" lie, he was desperate to get admitted due to his poor academic career. He busted his ass to get to an interview and took a big chance with his "gay" lie and got in.

Maybe he did half the work you did and enjoyed his life more and took the shortcut to get in, but its no lie. If the way he got in makes you mad, well your preaching to the choir.

Still what he did was wrong, but he got into an allopathic school, there was "no way in Hell" that he was going to be "a jungle doctor" or a "failed premed student" (His words on caribbean med schools and D.O schools.)

Are you sure that that is what got him in? He may have had some unique work experience that he hasn't told you about.

raekelly said:
Are you sure that that is what got him in? He may have had some unique work experience that he hasn't told you about.

No he walked right in there and put on a show, well he has done some stage acting, nothing major, some stuff at a community college playhouse, but he said that the only thing he used from his acting was to make them believe his "gay" story.

I've known the guy since we were kids, his personality got him in, he could "sell water to a well" as the saying goes, and he sold the adcoms on his story.

"Personality goes a long way"-Pulp Fiction

yogiberra said:
He's gay, at the interview he made up a story of how he was beat up one time and how he was traumatized by that. Only if G Washington univ school of med knew that he sleeps around with about 2 to three girls a week and he hates gays.

The truth is a lot of people will die to go to a us allopathic school like him, but not the way he got in. oh yeah heres the kicker ****ty stats, 3.5 29 mcat.

Seems more likely to me that he lied to you about what he did in the interview. :rolleyes: It also should be noted that his stats got him into an interview at a decent school, so they apparently weren't sooo bad...

I think everyone here is jumping on the OP's back for making the "****ty stats" comment, which is understandable, but let's think about the real issue here -- when is lying "okay" in an interview? I'm sure everyone stretches the truth sometimes: for example, when interviewing with a radiologist, maybe someone who could care less would say that they luv'd radiology and wanted to go into it. Since a pre-med student has, ostensibly, not yet made up her mind about which specialty to go into, this is something of a white lie. But making up a huge story about being gay and going through a trauma? That seems to trend a little towards pseudologia fantastica, in my book, and is unethical and insincere to those who really have gone through trauma. It is manipulative and just plain wrong. Does nobody else agree with this?

Of all the possible stories he could've made up, what a weird lie.
But I guess that was the point. Everyone's searching for a way to answer the same old questions with a fresh take. Personally, I would never lie outright because then I'd worry about messing up and getting caught throughout the rest of the interview, and the last thing I need is one MORE thing to worry about.

A few years ago when my cousin was applying, she used a LOR written by a family member, which she passed off as someone she had no relation to. I was pretty young and didn't know much about the process, but she said people did that kind of thing all the time. It got her in! I was a little mad inside at the time, but in retrospect, I've looked beyond it. I don't know why she resorted to "cheating" but it was probably laziness and not because she couldn't get a real LOR, because she really did deserve to get in

This is weird. I think your friend is messing with you.

I can't imaging what kind of interview questioning would lead your friend to start talking about his sexual orientation and getting beat up. Is that how it works now? If you're gay you get some kind of special "sympathy vote"? If I was on that committee, I would be like, "I could care less if you're gay. Tell me why you applied here...blah blah blah".

Your friend sounds like a loser.

Law2Doc said:
Seems more likely to me that he lied to you about what he did in the interview. :rolleyes: It also should be noted that his stats got him into an interview at a decent school, so they apparently weren't sooo bad...

No, your right his stats were good enough to be offered an interview, what I'm saying is that his performance during the interview got him in, no waitlist, straight out acceptance. His stats were good for an interview, if he didnt do what he did, lie at the interview, he wouldn't have gotten in and he admits that.

Jalopycat said:
This is weird. I think your friend is messing with you.

I can't imaging what kind of interview questioning would lead your friend to start talking about his sexual orientation and getting beat up. Is that how it works now? If you're gay you get some kind of special "sympathy vote"? If I was on that committee, I would be like, "I could care less if you're gay. Tell me why you applied here...blah blah blah".

Your friend sounds like a loser.

Yeah, he was wrong for doing what he did, but he cares less, hes going to med school, he doesn't care one bit.

yogiberra said:

I'm willing to wager that one of two things:
A) He really is gay
B) That story is BS

yogiberra said:
While we're on this topic, how many of you will lie at an interview to get in, I mean not a little white lie, or an exaggeration of the truth, I mean like "WMD in Iraq lie".

I think it comes down to how desperate you are, lets say it is your "only shot" interview and you've already been rejected.... pop quiz hot shot-what would you do, what will you do?

LIE TO GET IN? As in once someone says some blatant lie, the doors of medical school automatically open up for them? As though ones true life couldn't possible get them into medical school without making up a story about humping men and getting beat up for it? Maybe I'm not quite following you.. :confused:

yogiberra said:
No, your right his stats were good enough to be offered an interview, what I'm saying is that his performance during the interview got him in, no waitlist, straight out acceptance. His stats were good for an interview, if he didnt do what he did, lie at the interview, he wouldn't have gotten in and he admits that.

#1: Say this story isn't BS, which it most likely is, but go with me on this one, how does he or you know that because he said he was "gay" at an interview, that is what made a commitee decide to allow him in. If he were straight they would have NOT allowed him in. There is NO way for you to know this.

#2: You should set him up on a blind date with a guy. He might have some fun with his new found lifestyle. :love:

If he truly was accepted because of his story then I am happy. Any admissions commitee that thinks that being gay and getting beat up makes a **** difference about being a good MD deserves to have a liar in their medical school.

yogiberra said:

It still doesn't make sense. Lots of people who get interviews get "in, no waitlist, straight out acceptance". In fact, once you get to the interview stage, your odds become pretty decent of getting in, and it's unlikely someone would risk screwing it up at that stage. And since your friend is an actor-type he would tend to be very personable. If you had said he lied in his PS first, and then had to lie again to be consistent in his interviews, then maybe I could buy it... Simply doesn't add up...

Law2Doc said:
It still doesn't make sense. Lots of people who get interviews get "in, no waitlist, straight out acceptance". In fact, once you get to the interview stage, your odds become pretty decent of getting in, and it's unlikely someone would risk screwing it up at that stage. And since your friend is an actor-type he would tend to be very personable. If you had said he lied in his PS first, and then had to lie again to be consistent in his interviews, then maybe I could buy it... Simply doesn't add up...

Well, he wasn't planing on using the "gay" lie. He wrote a basic PS about how he volunteers, hes characteristics, why he wanted to go to med school, etc. He only used the gay story when one-by-one he began recieving regection letters. The G Washington University was his only interview so he decided to go for the gold.

I could careless if you don't believe me, because what I feel the problem is that my friend who got into a us allo school put in less than 40 percent of the effort to get into medical school. No research, hardly any volunteering, took the MCAT 3 times, mostly partying and living it up, then he BS' an interview and got in. So if anyone has a problem with this, thats fine, I think its wrong also.

Sanctuary said:
#1: Say this story isn't BS, which it most likely is, but go with me on this one, how does he or you know that because he said he was "gay" at an interview, that is what made a commitee decide to allow him in. If he were straight they would have NOT allowed him in. There is NO way for you to know this.

#2: You should set him up on a blind date with a guy. He might have some fun with his new found lifestyle. :love:
ding ding ding! We've got a winner! Why would an ADCOM take an otherwise mediocre applicant and say "wait a sec, this dude is gay and got beat up for it!"? "He'll make an excellent doctor!"

"brilliant!"

"brilliant!"

*drink guiness*

yogiberra said:

dude that sucks!!! but it's a "could you live with yourself afterwards" thing...some people can lie, cheat, and steal and still not feel any remorse...others can't. he did what he did, and you did what you did. it's done and over with, so don't mope cuz it's not gonna get you anywhere. good luck with the whole thing though!

p.s. i had a friend who ran around with chicks everyday and was all "i hate gays"...yeah, not so much anymore...it's funny how some people choose to come out of the closet :rolleyes: you just gotta let them do what they gotta do.

What I find funny is - aren't these adcoms faculty and students at this school? If he really did get in largely on the basis of his lie, then it's safe to say they found it pretty touching and memorable. If they liked him a lot, maybe they even shared the story with other faculty/students (is this unethical? eh)
So wouldn't he be remembered? He might have to be a closet heterosexual for the next 4 years :laugh:

yogiberra said:
No he walked right in there and put on a show, well he has done some stage acting, nothing major, some stuff at a community college playhouse, but he said that the only thing he used from his acting was to make them believe his "gay" story.

I've known the guy since we were kids, his personality got him in, he could "sell water to a well" as the saying goes, and he sold the adcoms on his story.

"Personality goes a long way"-Pulp Fiction

Has this guy ever considered what he's going to do when he runs into his interviewer the next FOUR years? Pretend he's gay all through med school? Make up some story about his miraculous transformation? I mean, presumably he's going to want to keep up the womanizing...

SarahGM said:
Has this guy ever considered what he's going to do when he runs into his interviewer the next FOUR years? Pretend he's gay all through med school? Make up some story about his miraculous transformation? I mean, presumably he's going to want to keep up the womanizing...

Damn, I gotta tell him that, uwwh, how bout they make him prove to others that he really is gay, or how bout if a real homsexual tries to hit on him, dude he is screwed (excuse the pun).

I rather go do a post-bacc and be honest with myself then get into med school. Then again G W Bush has been living a lie and he's doing fine (BULL!)

While it does suck to watch someone get away with BS, it's important to put it into perspective. There are any number of crappy reasons that med schools admit people. He could've been a rich guy with a URM great-grandmother. He could've been the dean's cousin's kid. Heck, he could've been a Bush. Since the guy in question didn't have any of the above, he made something up.

Don't waste your energy worrying about it, either they'll figure things out or life will catch up with 'em eventually. Like others have said, the guy in question has set himself up for four years of GSA mailings, "understanding" chit-chats, and a severe lack of hoes. That, and knowing he didn't deserve his spot, while others around him did. Go karma. :laugh:

Besides, you'll be competing with him someday. Somebody's gotta wind up at the bottom of the class, and the people who didn't deserve the spot in the first place are prime candidates...

(what, me a gunner? maybe a little. :smuggrin: *downs another Jolt and goes back to work*)

yogiberra said:

:thumbdown:

1. His stats were high enough to get him into medical school
2. There is no waying of knowing the reason he got in---you certainly don't

OSUdoc08 said:
:thumbdown:

1. His stats were high enough to get him into medical school
2. There is no waying of knowing the reason he got in---you certainly don't

2.96 Science GPA, yeah he could have gotten into DO school hands down (no offense to any DO students) but an allo school, a decent one at that, I really dont know about that.

Who knows maybe he put URM on his app, he never mentioned it, but its possible, but the point is he did lie about being "gay" thats a fact.

A. Why is a person like this your friend.

B. Why do you care. You are your priority. I personally could give a rat's ass how everyone else got into med school. I am just focused on my own application.

*contingent on this thread being the truth of course.

SitraAchra said:
A. Why is a person like this your friend.

B. Why do you care. You are your priority. I personally could give a rat's ass how everyone else got into med school. I am just focused on my own application.

*contingent on this thread being the truth of course.

a. Well, what he did was totally wrong but when someone stays by your side when somone in your family is going through cancer treatment, no matter what type of **** he or she does, you have to at least respect them for that.

b. You're absolutely right, I agree with you.

yogiberra said:
2.96 Science GPA, yeah he could have gotten into DO school hands down (no offense to any DO students)

Sorry, D.O. schools have standards too. And quite frankly, 2.96 is an extremely low science GPA for any pre-med/med-student to be.

I don't want to read this entire thread, because it seems like its pointless, but I'm fairly sure some people lie all the time to get through the cracks - whether its on AMCAS or in their interview. It's unfortunate, but it's a sad reality. I don't think there was much wrong with his app though - a 3.5 and a 29 MCAT are perfectly good stats. Maybe his blunder of a science GPA was dismissed considering that he did fine on the MCAT. I seriously don't think his bit about being homosexual helped or hurt him in any way. If he wanted to give them a sympathy story, he could've just as easily talked about someone dying in the family or if he was molested as a child and now he's overcome that inner struggle, etc. There are so many things a person could come up with if they felt like it. I personally do not condone any of these things, but all I'm saying is I don't think his lie had any effect at all.

Oh yeah...like the above poster(s) mentioned, lose the "friend."

Panda Bear said:
For myself, I had no compelling reason to want to be a Doctor so I just made one up at most of my interviews.

Besides, fortune favors the bold. The guy was nothing if not audacious, especially since he wasn't sure how being gay would be received by the admissions committee. They might just as easily have had a strong negative reaction to him.

I think you are missing the point. This person may end up one of our colleagues. Some day one of us may be asked if we should send one of our patients to him as a referral. If this story us true, then it is about an individual who absolutely should not become a physician! We take care of people every day who want to trust us with their lives, their well being, and their family's well being. It is not too much to expect physicians who at least manage to be better than amoral if not downright immoral.

Panda Bear said:
People tell all kinds of lies at their interviews, from "I care" to "I swear I plan on practicing primary care in an under-served area of your fine state." So the guy mentioned by the OP got a little more creative than most people. Why is this any worse than any other attempt to tell the interviewer what they want to hear?

Medical school admissions is mostly hokum. Especially the part which compells normal people to waste large amounts of time in activities which prove they care. I volunteered as an EMT after spending a great deal of time getting certified but only enough to be able to honestly state on my AMCAS application that I had done it. This was not a lot. And after my application was submitted I stopped doing it because it was eating up too much of my time.

So u got in though?